Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 05:08 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I think you can blame me for that.

S.

Thanks Sean,

Try as I might I couldn't locate an email with that attachment but I did have it saved into a folder will all my EnerJet rocket goodies!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Master Modeler

Interesting. John Langford will be here for NARCON as well.... maybe I will get a chance to talk to him about it. AND it turns out I actually have a copy of that issue of Model Rocketeer. A colleague of mine gifted me with a box of old Model Rocketeers that he picked up at a local used bookstore some time ago - and it has most (but not all) issues from February of 1972 thru December of 1979, and two copies of some issues in it including this one (March, 1974).

Thanks!

What I'm really looking for is photographic evidence of the 1340 in "real world" use.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Just to clarify, the rockets used in the Langford article are "named" 950 and 1340 using a convention Enerjet used, but neither are actual Enerjet rockets used in the era.

The "Langford 1340" has a 1340/Phoenix bird fin unit, Nike-Ram tubes and nose cone.

An Enerjet 1340 has 1340/Phoenix bird fins, two different length tubes, but of Mini-Max thickness, and a molded coupler and nose cone to fit the Mini-Max thickness tubes.

Similar in some ways but not really the same at all.

The Enerjet 1340 could fly successfully with the G76. The Enerjet Nike-Ram and Centuri Phoenix Bird, not so much.

If Estes were to re-release a real Enerjet 1340, I feel certain they would be quite popular for flying with the larger motors available today. The original fin units have a speed limit defined by (USR/AT) 160G80. A new mold could be re-engineered to eliminate the launch lug and make it slightly stronger.

Hysterical Jerry
Old 02-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for that. I did read John's article once yesterday, but didn't pick up on that detail. That and that John's work was done primarily as an NAR R&D project for NARAM-15. So it doesn't really qualify for what I had in mind.

I'm actually looking for evidence for the Enerjet 1340 to be considered "an existing or historical guided missile, rocket vehicle, or space vehicle that has flown under rocket power" that would be considered a "real rocket vehicle" for the purposes of Pink Book paragraph 53.1. It's a silly idea, I admit, but would be fun to consider...

Making a real re-release available for flying on up to full Gs would be interesting indeed. I wonder if the current Eliminator/Eliminator XL plastic fin cans are as good as the originals from that standpoint or if they'd need to choose a better grade of plastic. Either way, a big flying site would be needed since the Enerjet "brouchure" for the 1340 shows a graph saying that it could take an 8 ounce payload to over 10,000 feet on a G.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Thanks for that. I did read John's article once yesterday, but didn't pick up on that detail. That and that John's work was done primarily as an NAR R&D project for NARAM-15. So it doesn't really qualify for what I had in mind.

I'm actually looking for evidence for the Enerjet 1340 to be considered "an existing or historical guided missile, rocket vehicle, or space vehicle that has flown under rocket power" that would be considered a "real rocket vehicle" for the purposes of Pink Book paragraph 53.1. It's a silly idea, I admit, but would be fun to consider...

I seem to remember an article somewhere, maybe in a Centuri Newletter, about a university Meteorology department using an Enerjet rocket for some studies they were doing.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Darned Pink Book lawyers!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Master Modeler

I just think it would be fun to challenge the "lawyers" with a 1:1 scale Enerjet 1340 entered into NAR Scale or Sport Scale competition...that's really what I'm aiming for here.

It think all I really need is published evidence (including hopefully one good photo) of a 1340 used for some industrial or academic project outside the "model rocketry" community.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 PM

I have the capability to "make it so". I was thinking Gooneybird or SPEV
Old 02-17-2015, 04:37 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Just to clarify, the rockets used in the Langford article are "named" 950 and 1340 using a convention Enerjet used, but neither are actual Enerjet rockets used in the era.

The "Langford 1340" has a 1340/Phoenix bird fin unit, Nike-Ram tubes and nose cone.

An Enerjet 1340 has 1340/Phoenix bird fins, two different length tubes, but of Mini-Max thickness, and a molded coupler and nose cone to fit the Mini-Max thickness tubes.

Similar in some ways but not really the same at all.

The Enerjet 1340 could fly successfully with the G76. The Enerjet Nike-Ram and Centuri Phoenix Bird, not so much.

If Estes were to re-release a real Enerjet 1340, I feel certain they would be quite popular for flying with the larger motors available today. The original fin units have a speed limit defined by (USR/AT) 160G80. A new mold could be re-engineered to eliminate the launch lug and make it slightly stronger.

Hysterical Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I didn't pick up on that detail in the line drawings either until I gave the article another read through. I'd love to see a re-release of a real EnerJet 1340.

I found a link this morning to one sold in an auction that I'll post later I'd like to know your & others comments on it but it didn't look authentic, it had a blue fin can and the 1340 brochure in the bag appeared to be scanned. The red plastic coupler looks about right but the payload tube is black just like the other one on ebay a few years back that had a 5 sec delay EnerJet motor in the bag with it. It had a red nose cone and the nose cone shoulder is just a bit diffferent from what you would see on say an Estes plastic cone for a BT-56.

With enough information someone with 3D printing capability could possibly make a fin can, coupler and nose cone to fit the thick walled tubing but anyone with an original kit in their possession probably wouldn't break it out of a sealed kit.

Wish I could have witnessed some of the G76 and USR/AT 160G80 flights you mentioned.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate

Last edited by snaquin : 02-17-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I just think it would be fun to challenge the "lawyers" with a 1:1 scale Enerjet 1340 entered into NAR Scale or Sport Scale competition...that's really what I'm aiming for here.

It think all I really need is published evidence (including hopefully one good photo) of a 1340 used for some industrial or academic project outside the "model rocketry" community.

Now I see what you were aiming for.

I hope you can turn something up that would be very interesting indeed to find some real published information on the EnerJet 1340.

SAM# 0052