Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Saturn 1b nut

Joe...stay tuned..I think i can give you a suggestion...you will see it on this build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Not until I watch you first to see how much work is involved
Old 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Saturn 1b nut

Chris...I can not thank you enough! Your blog is just amazing! I am posting a link for those who may read this build. Every time I do a Zooch 1b I think back and remember reading your blog and saying...THAT IS HOW YOU DO IT!! Closest thing to a Eureka moment I have had!! Thanks for sharing that tip!!

http://www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Wow, Thanks!
Glad to hear the blog helped out.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the build.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:02 PM
BAR

Looking really good, Rick... Great build thread as usual...

I'll enjoy seeing your progress...

Later! OL JR
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Saturn 1b nut

thanks Luke! I never get tired of building a Zooch 1b. Every time I make one of thee I step back and marvel at what Wes takes in terms of common materials and how he turns it into a neat looking rocket. I thought I woudl try one of the 1bs that has been patiently awaiting its turn on the buidl table and go with his Apollo 5. I did recently pick up his limited addition ASTP kit....its is white tank 1b (my favorite) and a Soyuz that is in scale with the 1b......those are going to be fun builds!!

[IMG]000_1383a.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Looking really good, Rick... Great build thread as usual...

I'll enjoy seeing your progress...

Later! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1383a.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  107.5 KB  
Old 08-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Saturn 1b nut

OK....continuing out of sequence on the build, we will accept delivery of our S-IVb stage (a BT-60 tube) as well as our SLA nose cone for the Apollo 5 mission. These will be sent to the VAB for sanding and finishing!

[IMG]000_1382a.jpg[/IMG]

I will start sanding these tonight! thanks for following along with the thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1382a.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  124.2 KB  
Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrick
thanks Luke! I never get tired of building a Zooch 1b. Every time I make one of thee I step back and marvel at what Wes takes in terms of common materials and how he turns it into a neat looking rocket. I thought I woudl try one of the 1bs that has been patiently awaiting its turn on the buidl table and go with his Apollo 5. I did recently pick up his limited addition ASTP kit....its is white tank 1b (my favorite) and a Soyuz that is in scale with the 1b......those are going to be fun builds!!

[IMG]000_1383a.jpg[/IMG]

Yep, got a pair of those sitting in my collection waiting for me...

One tip I'll throw out there FWIW...

Wes rolls the instructions AND WRAPS and puts them inside the (usually) BT-60 tube in the kit for storage and to prevent them from getting smudged... While this is a neat idea and keeps things neat and tight so everything fits in those little 4x4x12 mailing boxes, it does have a drawback-- usually the wraps are "rolled the wrong way" when you take them out of the box...

What I find helps greatly is to take the kit, AS SOON AS YOU GET IT, and remove the instructions and wraps from the box and unroll them... actually, I GENTLY roll them "backwards" (opposite to how they were rolled "at the factory" before the box was sealed) to get the cardstock to "relax" a bit and uncurl. Then I store them laid flat, under a heavy book works well, or in my case, I have some big interoffice memo packets from when I used to drive the schoolbus that I had laying around (our trip sheets and stuff would come in them, so we had tons of them floating around). I actually have removed ALL the wraps/instruction sheets from ALL the Zooch kits (I have all of them in my collection) and keep the unbuilt wraps/instructions in one packet, and the built instructions and wrap sheet remains (patterns for new ones if I should need them) in another, all appropriately and dicreetly labeled in pencil at the top or bottom of the page so there's no mix-ups... I keep any "patterns" from the wrap sheet (fin location jigs, detail clocking patterns, etc) in there as well, for future use if needed.

While this might seem a bit "overkill", it does GREATLY help the build when it comes time to cut out and make/apply wraps and some of the other paper/fiddly bits of details that the kits often use (like the tiny paper cone that fits over the sharpened dowel that serves as the escape tower (the LES motor skirt) and various nozzles and such... It really helps IMHO if they're not "precurled" the WRONG WAY (like they usually are coming out of the kit box rolled up in the tube...)

Works for me...

Later and KUTGW... OL JR

PS. You can't embed pics in the post text on here like you can on the Terribly Run Forum (TRF) due to YORF using an older, simpler version of VBulletin software... not unless you simply "link" to the pictures that have been uploaded to some third-party online hosting site like Picasa or PictureBox or whatever... But of course those links are prone to breaking after awhile and someone reading your post six months or a year from now are faced with empty boxes with a "broke link" message where the pic was... Personally I just upload them directly from my hard drive to the forum software one by one, so they appear "in order" at the bottom of the post as thumbnails... Best of luck!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:17 PM
BAR

Quote:
OK....continuing out of sequence on the build, we will accept delivery of our S-IVb stage (a BT-60 tube) as well as our SLA nose cone for the Apollo 5 mission. These will be sent to the VAB for sanding and finishing!

[IMG]000_1382a.jpg[/IMG]

I will start sanding these tonight! thanks for following along with the thread!

Looks good...

I think you have your S-IVB tube upside down though... need to flip it over...

As Wes might say in the instructions, "Be sure you put your S-IVB tube right side up, unless of course you're trying to duplicate the Saturn IB in the rest stop on the Interstate outside Huntsville, Alabama... (which has an unused S-IVB stage on it, mounted upside down and repainted to look correct from outside, for some reason... )

Later! OL JR
Old 08-25-2015, 05:34 AM
Saturn 1b nut

HA!! you are right!! I have to turn the S-IVb over!!
thanks for the tips on the posting..I just assumed I was doing something wrong over here...I am sanding and finishing the stage and the nose cone at this point. more to come!

Quote:
Looks good...

I think you have your S-IVB tube upside down though... need to flip it over...

As Wes might say in the instructions, "Be sure you put your S-IVB tube right side up, unless of course you're trying to duplicate the Saturn IB in the rest stop on the Interstate outside Huntsville, Alabama... (which has an unused S-IVB stage on it, mounted upside down and repainted to look correct from outside, for some reason... )

Later! OL JR
Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Joe...stay tuned..I think i can give you a suggestion...you will see it on this build!

Rick, I'm following your build with something approaching rapture!

Joe