Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Looking at that old image of the Shrike, I'm struck by how the approach of having two-stagers where the fins sort of fit together into one big fin has really gone out of favor. They used to have at least two or three like that, but now pretty much none. Maybe you could count the Solar Flare, but that's sort of a weird one in it's own category.

I'm not sure if it's just the preference of today's designers for separated fins, or the fact that it takes more skill to get nice flush fitting fins and they think people's general lack of modeling skills these days will cause frustration. I'm obviously referring to balsa finned kits, not plastic finned ones.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I'm not sure if it's just the preference of today's designers for separated fins, or the fact that it takes more skill to get nice flush fitting fins and they think people's general lack of modeling skills these days will cause frustration. I'm obviously referring to balsa finned kits, not plastic finned ones.

Maybe, but I'd think laser-cut fins eliminate most of the headache. I remember when I built my Beta way back when, as a kid, I got decent results on the fin fit despite cutting them all out myself.

Not a big deal (obviously) but something I noticed.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Maybe, but I'd think laser-cut fins eliminate most of the headache. I remember when I built my Beta way back when, as a kid, I got decent results on the fin fit despite cutting them all out myself.

Not a big deal (obviously) but something I noticed.

No problem for us as kids or adults. However, today's kids and young adults can only operate Playstation buttons and cell phones with their hands. Ask them to cut, sand, and properly fit a Beta or Shrike and they can't do it, especially when taking into account primer/paint thickness changing the way the joint fits on the Beta.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
No problem for us as kids or adults. However, today's kids and young adults can only operate Playstation buttons and cell phones with their hands. Ask them to cut, sand, and properly fit a Beta or Shrike and they can't do it, especially when taking into account primer/paint thickness changing the way the joint fits on the Beta.

Uh, let's go a little easy on those who can't properly fit a set of Beta fins. I think I'm 0-3.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Uh, let's go a little easy on those who can't properly fit a set of Beta fins. I think I'm 0-3.

Your builds look pretty good to me. You just have to quit drinking a beer for every fin you sand when it comes to the Beta.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Your builds look pretty good to me. You just have to quit drinking a beer for every fin you sand when it comes to the Beta.

Even on the wagon the Beta is a struggle. I have a new one planned, but with Semroc laser cut balsa.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Even on the wagon the Beta is a struggle. I have a new one planned, but with Semroc laser cut balsa.

Cheater!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Cheater!

I prefer to think of it as forward thinker.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 02-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Craftsman

I've been going through cosmic interceptors like candy, three RC rocket glider conversions and an interceptor themed trident upscale.....I'm sure I can think of more I can do....maybe a twin fused interceptor rc glider, sort of like a twin mustang..........

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Like BEC, I too am surprised that several of the rockets on the Estes "Specials" page are still listed in the new catalog. Sizzler, Fat Jax are a couple I bought for the grandkids. Biggest surprise is the Cosmic Interceptor. Maybe they have a ton of inventory? It's been available for $16.99 for quite some time ($48.99 MSRP). I keep thinking about buying another ... But I still have 5 Interceptor E kits unbuilt. I do have one ready to paint, if we ever get a break from the cold weather.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM
The Prodigal BAR Returns (again)

Liberties taken by the graphic artists aside,* I'm just gobsmacked by this:

A new Estes catalog...in 2016...with a new scale model of 50-year-old "space" vehicle on the front cover....with more scale models on the back cover. Estes - on their catalog - in 2016.

The slightest possibility of the merest speculation hadn't even entered my mind that such a thing could EVER happen. Back ca. 2000 when a lot of us Old Timers were giving Estes static for their interminable parade of generic, cookie-cutter, ready-to-fly kits, I kept thinking "Thank heaven they make the motors. I can clone cool kits (this was pre-Semroc 2.0), but without motors, I'm hosed.

These guys are making a serious, sincere effort to reach out to serious modelers.

WOW!!

Thank you, Estes!

* I work with graphic artists all the time, and they do like to take liberties with reality. Sometimes we have to have the talk: "That can't happen in real life, and the customers will notice and ding us for it." Other times.....since I have no visual imagination of my own, I really appreciate theirs!
NAR #29660
I am a SAM - a SAM I am! (#489)
"Who would ever trade a simple, easy-to-understand command line for a confusing GUI and a clumsy mouse? Madness!" --Doswonk, ca. 1993