Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The ONLY Genie deployed with an active nuclear warhead was a TEST firing and it was indeed fired by a Scorpion 'fighter' not an F-101 Voodoo. I think it may have been called Operation "Plumb Bob".
The Genie was carried OPERATIONALLY by both the USAF and Canada in the RCAF; it just was never fired in combat.

The F-105 was a TURD of an aircraft. The ONLY thing it could do well is go fast in a STRAIGHT line. It was about as maneuverable as a GARBAGE TRUCK. The ONLY 'century series' aircraft worth a darn was the F-104. The F-106 was not great, but was not a TURD either.
The F-4 was even FASTER than the F-105 down low as well as at high altitude, and could actually TURN and dogfight.
You won't find any former USAF pilots that flew both the F-105 and F-4 that would choose the Thud over the Phantom if given a choice.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Craftsman

Well, the starfighter couldn't turn either. These early planes were designed for tactical nuke or interceptor roles and then hacked later to do something different...It is amazing what the designers were able to do do keep them going in different roles and you have to appreciate their contributions, and especially the pilots that did what they did with them. I model them becasue I find them interesting, while the current crop of aircraft may have better performance, visually I find them kind of blah....

Frank
Old 08-11-2016, 12:01 PM

Actually the Starfighter can turn the best out of the Century Series of aircraft and it was stressed to be able to pull a lot more consistent G's than the Thud. The USAF tried using the 105 for the Thunderbirds for ONE year and it was quickly pulled from service in that role due to cracked airframes from excessive G loads. They returned back to the F-100 until the F-4 was assigned to Thunderbirds duty.
While it is certainly no F-16 or even F-4, the F-104 was at least a CAPABLE fighter platform in addition to it's Interceptor role.
While I also like the 'lines' of the F-101, that thing was HUGE and let's be realistic...the "F" designation for that platform was ridiculous. That should have been designated the B-101, A-101, or possibly FB-101 due to it's supersonic capacity.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Craftsman

I don't think anyone in their right mind would get into a turning fight in an F-104 expecially with any combat load, but in any case, it doesn't matter for modeling purpuses. I build what I find interesting.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:32 PM

I think your builds are VERY interesting/cool and feature unique aircraft from an era where there was a lot of variety in airframes.
Have you ever considered using the Cosmic Interceptor kit to form a R/C BG version of the USN Vigilante ?
That was a neat aircraft that was HUGE to be based on an aircraft carrier.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Craftsman

Yes, I like the vigilante as well, I've gotten a lot of suggestions, tsr-2, some of the russian aircraft etc... right now working on a thunderchief-ish model...I know the fuse is too small but it's fun to play around with this kit and see what I can do. Here are some others as well, a Dart, A-12, Arrow and phantom-ish sort of thing....I'm trying to move wings/surfaces around to keep my balast needed to a minimum and keep my rtf weight to 11-12 oz and wing loading to around 6-9 oz/sq foot. So, doing what I can with the original plane given those parameters.

Frank

I cut the rear of the tube to simulate the speed brake petals partly open, used a torque tube/rod for the full flying tail surfaces and already installed the wing...

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I think your builds are VERY interesting/cool and feature unique aircraft from an era where there was a lot of variety in airframes.
Have you ever considered using the Cosmic Interceptor kit to form a R/C BG version of the USN Vigilante ?
That was a neat aircraft that was HUGE to be based on an aircraft carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160811_12_19_16_Pro.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  292.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160811_12_19_03_Pro.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  305.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160811_12_19_11_Pro.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  335.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DeltaDart.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  355.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160728_18_14_52_Pro.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  362.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160810_18_42_59_Pro.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  719.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160810_11_36_08_Pro.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  418.4 KB  
Old 08-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

> the F-104 was at least a CAPABLE fighter platform in addition to it's Interceptor role.
While I also like the 'lines' of the F-101, that thing was HUGE and let's be realistic

Take a look at the combat records of the F-104 vs. the -101. Both are available in Wikipedia.

The Voodoo was employed in combat in both the Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam. The -104 was essentially MIA except for a short deployment in 'Nam. The Starfighter was a good looking machine, but was used very sparingly in combat. It did see long term service in both the Luftwaffe and RCAF, but never was battle tested except in South Asia. IE: a couple of Pakistani -104s were shot down by some Indian MiG 21's.

What the Voodoo lacked was a good weapons system. It was limited by its AIM4-D and Genie weapons which were intended for non manoevering bomber targets. Had the Voodoo been outfitted with AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM 9 Sidewinder it would be a formidable adversary for any of the Century Series fighters and any of the hard wing F-4's. In training missions it repeatedly proved that point vs that type of adversary aircraft.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:27 AM
Craftsman

Here are some pics of the controls, I used some old servo arms mounted in the fuse to act as guides so I could use long thin pushrods and get the servos right at the CG, wound up needing only .5 ounces of nose weight which is good considering the cg is further forward on this wing planform/placement. 11.5 ounces rtf.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160811_14_42_11_Pro.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  343.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160811_14_42_20_Pro.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  291.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20160811_14_42_39_Pro.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  353.1 KB  
Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Craftsman

Flight test this morning in dead calm went really well, was just a hair tail heavy, so I fixed that with 1/8 ounce of weight, then had just a slight bit of roll trim needed, it's hard to perfectly align the full flying tail off the bat, and needed just a touch of downtrim for boost, I was easily getting close to a minute glide, I was very surprised as the wing area is smaller than the voodoo I think, but seemed to glide even better, must be due to the extra control surface area I'm not counting...Really looks good in the air with the wing profile. Now to painting this evening.
dynasoarrocketry.com
Old 08-12-2016, 02:09 PM

Very nice use of old servo arms as guides for those micro-pushrods. Good re-purposing I had never thought of.
I need to start building some innovation like this into my R/C ships even though I primarily still use glow-power propulsion from .15 to .65 CID sizes. Pushrods such as these would be plenty for my non-flying internal controls such as throttle and in-flight mixture control and would be far lighter than the 2-56 sized hard rod and cable I have been using since the mid-70's.
Back when I first got involved in R/C a decent 6-channel setup was FAR more costly than now. A BASIC plain-jane Futaba 6 channel set with 4 huge S-16 servos, receiver, Transmitter, switch, and full NiCds of only 500mAh capacity was about $230.00 in 1977 dollars. For a 'Kraft' brand USA-made system you had to add at least 30% to those prices. That was equipment for only ONE airplane. Nowadays dollars that's about $700. What you can get for $700 NOW is an amazing 2.4GHz square-wave R/C computer system with full flight packs (servos, receiver, batteries) for at least FOUR separate aircraft. I have the new Graupner MZ-24 system with 4 receivers (a 12ch and three 6ch) and high-end servos installed in the following 4 aircraft- Hangar9 Phoenix 7, Sig Kobra, RCM Terrier, and Sig Minnow Cosmic Wind vintage .15 quarter-midget pylon aircraft. I know I have less than $700 in that R/C equipment. I use Spektrum R/C equipment in my electric R/C stuff...Corsair, micro P-51, Micro B-17, and Micro Corsair.