Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

even a B8-ish motor (and it's C5 companion) would be nice.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:00 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I'm a little puzzled by the use of artwork instead of finished models on the linked-too pages.

I was wondering about the recent re-posting of the graphic designer position on Indeed.com. Might be all they had available. The one that did the last of the Hobbico packaging (the pastel colors with oddly length distorted rockets) looked CG too. Maybe they haven't had anyone that knows how to do product photography in awhile.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I had to chuckle at this...in a good way.

Scott_650's verrrry passing and semi-buried comment "Oh, and B14s may be coming back" to this YORF audience is akin to stepping into the house and casually saying "Yes, honey, I'll mow the grass...after the alien space ship in the back yard takes off."

Earl

The B14 discussion started about competition rocketry in Europe and how B14-0 motors worked so well which led to the quick comment about bringing that motor and others back. Though my favorite motor comment of the evening was the Aerotech guys gently and humorously poking at the Estes guys for saying the QJets were the best motors for the RTF Saturn V.

I don’t have any specific memory of flying B14s as a kid though I’m sure I did - I flew whatever motors the hobby store (or Woolworth) had on sale
Old 07-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Master Modeler

Sorry these posts have been so scattershot but I just remembered another Estes tidbit - that the next plastic RTF display/flier could be an N-1 as a companion to the Saturn.

Also, we can expect to see a pretty complete slate of US manned spacecraft rockets - the conversation went along the lines that Estes has produced all the man rated rockets just not all of them at the same time with that being the goal.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:34 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Wait, what?!?

On the B14s just be aware that Estes now employs someone who is notorious for black powder vaporware.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:40 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
[…]
I don’t have any specific memory of flying B14s as a kid though I’m sure I did - I flew whatever motors the hobby store (or Woolworth) had on sale
[…]

I learned about interpreting thrust curves at an early age. I put a B14 into a Flying Jenny biplane glider. It exceeded the speed of balsa shortly after liftoff.

I still have some B14s dated 1968. I’ve wanted to try them, but now maybe I’ll be able to just use new ones.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 07-29-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 PM
Master Modeler

Yea,

I wouldn't count on the B14 coming anytime in this life time. I did fly something even better at Estes this past Thursday though.

John Boren
Old 07-28-2019, 11:29 PM
Avid Builder

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Yea,

I wouldn't count on the B14 coming anytime in this life time. I did fly something even better at Estes this past Thursday though.

John Boren

Shoot, now you're just playing with us.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Master Modeler

There was not a presentation per se. Dr. Langford just took questions....and there was some mention of B14-0s but I didn’t interpret what he said to say they were coming back. John Boren’s post just above is very intriguing.

There were a bunch of new models of various types in a box Dr. Langford opened after the “forum” was officially over. They included a wide range of things from simple to not so simple. Also on display were display models of the Boosted Bertha and the re-release of the Multi-Roc, through I was surprised to find a balsa nose block at the base of the payload section on that model. My model from the re-released kit uses the plastic nose cone base as is done in the Nova Payloader and I’m sure others.

The booster’s fins on Boosted Bertha aren’t “just a little bigger” they are LOTS bigger than the sustainer.

And I held in my hands one of the re-leased Phantoms. There were two in that box. Very very glad to see that back.

Both John and Ellis Langford were out at the night launch on Sunday night (over a couple of hours ago). Good to see them both here.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-29-2019, 05:22 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
There was not a presentation per se. Dr. Langford just took questions....and there was some mention of B14-0s but I didn’t interpret what he said to say they were coming back. John Boren’s post just above is very intriguing.

I would agree with this - the conversation wasn’t a presentation on what motors were or could come back. There was some back and forth about motors and B14s were talked about but you’re right, he never made a direct statement saying they were going back into production.

John Boren’s post is indeed very interesting - here’s to hoping we’re going to see some more power from an Estes black powder motor!