Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 PM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 516
Default Important Rocketry Milestones

I have been launching rockets since 1975, I think thousands of flights. Yesterday I was following the glider from my Estes Solo and I was hit in the head by a ball of wadding. Thatís a first for me!

Last edited by 5x7 : 09-09-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Wrong year, doh!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 PM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I have been launching rockets since 1995, I think thousands of flights. Yesterday I was following the Glider from my Estes Solo and I was hit in the head by a ball of wadding. Thatís a first for me!


I hope you are feeling OK.
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V, Astron Farside-X
Stuck In the Paint Shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Painted Prowler! (ditched the pink tube wrap ...)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2019, 06:32 PM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Iím the chosen one
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 PM
chrism chrism is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,266
Default

This could be the first in the history of launching model rockets!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,786
Default

Iíve caught a piece or two of wadding out of the air while waiting for the rocket to descend under parachute, but I donít think or canít recall having ever been Ďhití by any.

Iím glad you are ok and un-injured. Otherwise, the powers that be might make us start attaching recovery streamers to our chute wadding.


Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 PM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Iíve caught a piece or two of wadding out of the air while waiting for the rocket to descend under parachute, but I donít think or canít recall having ever been Ďhití by any.

Iím glad you are ok and un-injured. Otherwise, the powers that be might make us start attaching recovery streamers to our chute wadding.


Earl


Great idea, probably a good science experiment. I bet it comes down faster tied to a melted streamer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 PM
jadebox's Avatar
jadebox jadebox is offline
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 927
Default

While watching one of my rockets being launched, I saw a small piece of paper floating down in front of me. It landed at my feet. I bent over and picked it up. It was one of the small labels that were on the grains of the reload that I used in the rocket.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2019, 01:29 PM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
While watching one of my rockets being launched, I saw a small piece of paper floating down in front of me. It landed at my feet. I bent over and picked it up. It was one of the small labels that were on the grains of the reload that I used in the rocket.


Thatís amazing!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Joe Wooten's Avatar
Joe Wooten Joe Wooten is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I have been launching rockets since 1975, I think thousands of flights. Yesterday I was following the glider from my Estes Solo and I was hit in the head by a ball of wadding. Thatís a first for me!


Be gad it was not a wad of bird poop! I almost got hit by gull poop the last time I flew.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 PM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Here is the video, I was recording so unfortunately you canít see me take one for the team.

https://youtu.be/Z8oWYWrW1r0
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2019