Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:06 PM
jeffyjeep's Avatar
jeffyjeep jeffyjeep is offline
Old Submariner
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home of Wayne & Garth
Posts: 7,224
Default Estes Sahara?

Apparently the Estes Sahara came and went without me knowing about it. I can't seem to find it in the catalogs. Was it one of those obscure PSII kits (like the Scion?)

If anyone has a photo I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
__________________
Never trust an atom. They make up everything.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:23 PM
Chas Russell's Avatar
Chas Russell Chas Russell is offline
Retired Missile Technician
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,022
Default

https://www.launchlabrocketry.com/s...proseriesii9713

They no longer have one in stock, but you can get the jist.

I "thought" that the original Vander-burn offered a clone kit. It does not show up on the Launch Lab website. Perhaps due to not being able to get the correct parts from Estes.

Hope this helps some.

Chas
__________________
Charles Russell, MSgt,USAF (ret.)
NAR 9790, Lvl 1
SAM "Balls Three"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:27 PM
Scott_650 Scott_650 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Apparently the Estes Sahara came and went without me knowing about it. I can't seem to find it in the catalogs. Was it one of those obscure PSII kits (like the Scion?)

If anyone has a photo I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

https://www.insanerocketry.com/main...08675713495232/

Jason Cook has an info page on the Insane Rocketry site about the Sahara. It was a website only SPEV PSII kit so never in the catalog.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:30 PM
jeffyjeep's Avatar
jeffyjeep jeffyjeep is offline
Old Submariner
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home of Wayne & Garth
Posts: 7,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
https://www.launchlabrocketry.com/s...proseriesii9713

They no longer have one in stock, but you can get the jist.

I "thought" that the original Vander-burn offered a clone kit. It does not show up on the Launch Lab website. Perhaps due to not being able to get the correct parts from Estes.

Hope this helps some.

Chas


That helps a lot. Thanks!
__________________
Never trust an atom. They make up everything.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:31 PM
jeffyjeep's Avatar
jeffyjeep jeffyjeep is offline
Old Submariner
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home of Wayne & Garth
Posts: 7,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
https://www.insanerocketry.com/main...08675713495232/

Jason Cook has an info page on the Insane Rocketry site about the Sahara. It was a website only SPEV PSII kit so never in the catalog.


That also helps a lot. Thanks! I have a sneaking suspicion that the checked pattern isn't included as a decal.
__________________
Never trust an atom. They make up everything.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:33 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 3,259
Default

Sadly this only lasted two flights as on the second one it wound up in the trees in the distance....and I only got part of it back.

It's basically an Argent with only one of the two lower body tubes and with Partizon fins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Liftoff.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  188.3 KB  
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2021, 01:01 AM
BARGeezer BARGeezer is offline
Avid Builder
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 573
Default

Both the Scion and Sahara were builders kits, not packaged for retail and only available on the Estes website.
Came with printed instructions but no header card.
As mentioned, both were PS II SPEV kits.
The Scion fins were reversed Leviathan fins. What's funny is they bundled four fins together (the Leviathan has four) but the Scion only has three. I still have the extra fin in my parts stash.
IIRC like the original PS II kits there were no decals (with the exception of the Prowler). Some models had paint masking templates on the website, don't remember if the Sahara had one.
I would attach a pic but it's still nekkid, and she's shy.
__________________
I like the unusual, the off beat, the avant-garde. No 3/4 FNC for me!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2021, 08:24 AM
jeffyjeep's Avatar
jeffyjeep jeffyjeep is offline
Old Submariner
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home of Wayne & Garth
Posts: 7,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Both the Scion and Sahara were builders kits, not packaged for retail and only available on the Estes website.
Came with printed instructions but no header card.
As mentioned, both were PS II SPEV kits.
The Scion fins were reversed Leviathan fins. What's funny is they bundled four fins together (the Leviathan has four) but the Scion only has three. I still have the extra fin in my parts stash.
IIRC like the original PS II kits there were no decals (with the exception of the Prowler). Some models had paint masking templates on the website, don't remember if the Sahara had one.
I would attach a pic but it's still nekkid, and she's shy.


That's cute!

As it turns out, Stickershock has the Sahara decals. I think I'll order them up rather than replicating the checker pattern by slitting, bleeding, and swearing.
__________________
Never trust an atom. They make up everything.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2021, 09:13 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nunya Bizznuss, Michigan
Posts: 12,527
Default

Never herd of this one, but I like the design.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2021, 09:22 AM
stefanj stefanj is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 2,743
Default

Yeah, definitely a SPEV. Still, they did a nice job on the instructions.

I bought the Stickershock decals but haven't applied them yet.

Kind of went bonkers with wet sanding and compounding. It's SHINEEEEEE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  sahara_painted_deck.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.18 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sahara_compounded_2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  1.05 MB  
__________________
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2022