Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2020, 09:56 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
Unfortunately, Grant Boyd passed away in May 2018. I didn't get a chance to work with him, but he left behind a rich treasure of "Life at Centuri" in the Estes files that I went through when I worked there.

Matt

Matt-

Thanks for the post. Yes, I was sad to hear he had passed away when I heard or read it sometime about a year ago or so now. Wow, would have loved to have read through some of those files! Was that “Life at Centuri” an official set of files by name, or is that your ‘label’ on the body of work that was transferred to Estes from Phoenix?

Earl

P.S. - Received the instruction set last week. Thanks for following up with that.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-18-2020, 04:18 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
On the cover page is Larry Brown holding a Pteradactyl glider. The other person at the launch rack I do not know.

On page two (inside left page as it is opened) shows a fairly young Grant Boyd with an Aerodart on an LIA-77 launcher. I understand that Grant passed away in May, 2018 from Parkinson's Disease in Arizona.

The final item is a scan of an Enerjet shock cord fastener.

Earl

Judging by the hair color and stature, I can almost bet the "other person" in the picture is Bob DelPrincipe. Bob had a hand in a lot of Centuri designs like the Fighter Fleet.

I found this Grant Boyd business card going through some stuff the other day. (See below)

The Centuri Shock Cord Fasteners were great - for a while! The peel and stick adhesive could loosen from the inside of the body tubes.
Centuri had to add an addendum to their kits saying to press the fastener back down with the back end of a pencil (the eraser) before flight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  G Boyd Card.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  357.9 KB  

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 01-18-2020, 06:09 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Heaven knows I'll never forget the Enerjet demo flight they did at NARAM-13. The model just teleported off the pad.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 01-19-2020, 01:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Judging by the hair color and stature, I can almost bet the "other person" in the picture is Bob DelPrincipe. Bob had a hand in a lot of Centuri designs like the Fighter Fleet.

I found this Grant Boyd business card going through some stuff the other day. (See below)

The Centuri Shock Cord Fasteners were great - for a while! The peel and stick adhesive could loosen from the inside of the body tubes.
Centuri had to add an addendum to their kits saying to press the fastener back down with the back end of a pencil (the eraser) before flight.

Chris-

Do you recall approximately the year you received the business card from Grant?

Yeah, those Centuri shock cord fasteners could be a bit tricky. You really had to make sure that bottom end (the end closest to the motor mount) was down good, else hot ejection gases could eventually loosen that edge, causing it to peel upwards. But, in general I too preferred them over the tri-fold mount.

I remember in past email discussions with you when you talked about having applied for a job with Centuri and hanging out with their group at a NARAM or two. During those times, did you have much (or any) interaction with Grant?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-19-2020, 04:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
Heaven knows I'll never forget the Enerjet demo flight they did at NARAM-13. The model just teleported off the pad.

I bet! My closest equivalent was flying an F50(101) Silver Streak for the first time after never flying anything more than an D12.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:17 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

A F50 Silver Streak is a BIG jump from a D12.
Back in the 80's I flew a bunch of Composite Dynamics E20s, F40s, and F45s along with some Crown F67s.
Those were huge compared to D12s and were reliable unlike more common FSI F100s and E60s.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I bet! My closest equivalent was flying an F50(101) Silver Streak for the first time after never flying anything more than an D12.

Great motors! I flew quite a few back in the day. (Along with the G and H equivalent, although those coudl cato spectacularly.)

My first "big boy" motor was a G80, flow in an AAA American Dream in 1988. WOW. That flight really got me hooked on the big stuff.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-20-2020, 12:48 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

My experience was somewhat similar. I went from flying nothing bigger than a D12 to flying a 4” NCR Patriot with a G64 reload at NARCON ‘92.

But back to RocketFlite motors ... at LDRS 13 I bought a lot of Silver Streaks. A few F50, and I flew a number of G160 and H220. Some of those may not have been Silver Streaks. I remember buying them from Ross Dunton of Magnum. He had a footlocker full of them in his truck.

I took at least one each F, G, and H home. The Silver Streaks were nice night launch motors. One thing I discovered is that they did not age well. Colorado is dry, and I store motors in my basement, but one had a spectacular cato at night a few years later.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-20-2020, 12:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Great motors! I flew quite a few back in the day. (Along with the G and H equivalent, although those coudl cato spectacularly.)

My first "big boy" motor was a G80, flow in an AAA American Dream in 1988. WOW. That flight really got me hooked on the big stuff.

We seem to think alike. My first F50 Silver Streak was in an AAA Cherokee - G. I probably flew that model more than all my other mid and high power rockets combined on anything from E through G. I even put a D12-3 in it once it got old and beat up. The chute opened about 15 ft off the ground.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Level 5 Certified

[QUOTE=Earl]Matt-
Was that “Life at Centuri” an official set of files by name, or is that your ‘label’ on the body of work that was transferred to Estes from Phoenix?

Earl

That's my name for it. There was a lot of neat stuff they worked on.

Matt