Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Crepe wadding is pretty much all I have ever used on model rockets (several different other types on high power rockets).
Centuri starting selling the crepe wadding around about '73. It is what came with my Centuri Screaming Eagle starter set. But, I never bought any actual packs from Centuri after I used what came in my starter set. I could get large sheets of it MUCH cheaper at the department store and cut it into rectangles the size of the Centuri stuff. Much later, I acquired a number of packs of the Centuri wadding (as you have pictured) and that was the first time I ever saw what the Centuri crepe paper wadding packs looked like...and it was something like 30 years after the fact, long after Centuri had gone out of business.
They actually sold both types of wadding -- the crepe and the earlier 'cotton' type -- for many years, maybe even up until '83 when they went out business.

Earl

Years back, I bought a few packs of the Centuri Stellar wadding on sale.
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspo...ri-wadding.html
After getting used to it, I prefer it over the Estes treated toilet paper. I pick it up and re-use it if the upper layaers of wadding aren't charred.

Looks like some of the suppliers are running out of lighter colors. Michael's seems to have a good price on the rolled sheets:
https://www.michaels.com/7.5-ft.-cr...w/D048266S.html
I know you can get narrow crepe rolls at the Dollar Store, but I like to cut larger than 2" squares. I cut my squares at about 4.5".
I know dog barf is cheaper, but this seems to help with ejection charge "blow-bys".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Stellar Wadding 1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  138.7 KB  

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 05-09-2020, 10:31 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I use cardboard magazine files like these from Banker’s Box (and others - even IKEA has ‘em): https://www.amazon.com/Corrugated-C...n/dp/B0061UJ0CW

I have never used those but thanks I appreciate you sending those links. I see they have plastic versions as well. I want to start reading over some of the articles in these older magazine. I also found my full set of LAUNCH magazines and some Extreme Rocketry magazines buried where I couldn't easily get to them.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Years back, I bought a few packs of the Centuri Stellar wadding on sale.
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspo...ri-wadding.html
After getting used to it, I prefer it over the Estes treated toilet paper. I pick it up and re-use it if the upper layaers of wadding aren't charred.

Looks like some of the suppliers are running out of lighter colors. Michael's seems to have a good price on the rolled sheets:
https://www.michaels.com/7.5-ft.-cr...w/D048266S.html
I know you can get narrow crepe rolls at the Dollar Store, but I like to cut larger than 2" squares. I cut my squares at about 4.5".
I know dog barf is cheaper, but this seems to help with ejection charge "blow-bys".

I remember way back in the day after cutting my own that I looked at the rolls of crepe paper, thinking that would make the cutting even easier. But, like you, I too decided that those rolls were just too narrow to make effective wadding from.

And it did seem that the used sheets above the one sheet closest to the engine were often not even scorched. If I found them in the field after a flight, I would often try to reuse them. Back in those days, every penny counted because engines to fly seemed so expensive on my meager budget.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-10-2020, 07:18 PM
The_Ripper

Anyone know what that white stuff was that FSI included for wadding in their kits?
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-10-2020, 09:37 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Believe it or not, I seem to recall FSI used FIBREGLASS... YECHHH.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-10-2020, 10:07 PM
Craftsman

I seem to remember that the FSI wadding was cotton balls, soaked in borax. Bought some at one point in the 80's, but maybe I'm suffering from too little memory here as well -
Old 05-10-2020, 10:08 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I remember way back in the day after cutting my own that I looked at the rolls of crepe paper, thinking that would make the cutting even easier. But, like you, I too decided that those rolls were just too narrow to make effective wadding from.

And it did seem that the used sheets above the one sheet closest to the engine were often not even scorched. If I found them in the field after a flight, I would often try to reuse them. Back in those days, every penny counted because engines to fly seemed so expensive on my meager budget.

Earl

I STILL reuse wadding... I usually wander around the pasture after a club launch here on the farm and pick up a few handfuls of Estes wadding that has wafted down and not blown away. I just wad it up and stick it in my pocket.

Some can be pretty scorched or have a lot of "buckshot" holes burned through it from hot burning particles of BP from the ejection charge, but usually it's still usable in some form. I usually use the worst-blasted/scorched wadding in the rocket closest to the motor, with better, fresher wadding above it... let the scorched stuff take one more beating before it's gone for good LOL Works for me!

Later! OL J R
Old 05-10-2020, 10:18 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Yeah, I seem to remember that too...

There's been a lot of wadding discussions over the years, and as a landowner who allows a club to fly off the farm, the only thing I *DO NOT* want to see is FIBERGLASS... that stuff with NEVER rot, it just lays wherever it lands, eventually gets washed down to the ground by rainfall, and lays there FOREVER. All the various paper products, be it crepe, flameproofed TP wadding (Estes wadding), dog barf shredded paper insulation, etc. will all rot, and the borate flameproofing chemicals pose no environmental hazard, since most soils in the US are boron deficient anyway and boron is a micronutrient in the soil. Of course the reusable wadding in the form of flameproof NOMEX cloth sheets sold by various manufacturers, particularly popular with large MPR/HPR fliers, is a terrific reusable option. Ejection Pistons or plugs are good and "mostly" reusable, but should be tethered to the rocket IMHO... I know that competition fliers often used styrofoam plugs for their lightness, ejected from the model from altitude. IMHO they should be tethered to the rocket, if only by a bit of parachute string or thread, to keep the plug with the model, because styrofoam is another one of those things that deteriorates only very slowly in the environment, and basically becomes unsightly litter until it finally breaks down into dust over a long period of time.

Green leaves, grass, etc. are always good options as well, cheap and of course completely biodegradable. Lettuce, cabbage, heck I've even heard of guy using brussels sprouts one time LOL As long as it's moist it won't burn, and green grass is cheap and readily available.

Later! OL J R
Old 05-10-2020, 10:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Sounds like about the only legitimate use for brussels sprouts or leaf cabbage.
That foul reeking stuff will never be near my mouth or nose.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

I know the old MPC rocket kits used to come with a square piece of fiberglass for wadding.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970