Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default 10mm Sockets

Why doesn't every hardware store, automotive store, and big box store sell 6 point 10mm sockets in buckets at the checkout counter like those crappy air fresheners and imitation Chapstick? I had to buy a full set of 1/4" drive sockets today just to get a single 10mm six point socket.

My current set has a 12 point 10mm socket, which sucks for everything except stripping bolt heads. The socket set I keep in the truck....well, that 10mm socket is hiding with all my missing socks, drinking beer and laughing at me.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Apollo Nut

Ah, the ol’ 10mm socket...my Toyotas best friend, not that I had to work on them too very often.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Ah, the ol’ 10mm socket...my Toyotas best friend, not that I had to work on them too very often.

Earl

I was doing a valve clearance adjustment on my ATV. The majority of regular bolts on the Honda are 10mm, but as with my motorcycles, there's a lot of hex head bolts and plastic pins. I was a bit surprised with the clearance. I expected both to be a little loose, but the exhaust valve was tight.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:14 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Even when they do have individual sockets, they cost about half the price of a whole set anyway.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:17 AM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Why doesn't every hardware store, automotive store, and big box store sell 6 point 10mm sockets in buckets at the checkout counter like those crappy air fresheners and imitation Chapstick? I had to buy a full set of 1/4" drive sockets today just to get a single 10mm six point socket.

My current set has a 12 point 10mm socket, which sucks for everything except stripping bolt heads. The socket set I keep in the truck....well, that 10mm socket is hiding with all my missing socks, drinking beer and laughing at me.

Go to Harbor Fright, they have the best price on socket sets. I bought a complete set for about
$6.00 and they seam to be very well made, gone are the days of the Sears tool department.
also I think that Northern tool had single sockets and wrenches ?
Old 06-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

I do have several HF tools, including higher dollar items like an aluminum jack, motorcycle lift and wood lathe with the exact same tooling and casting marks as expensive brand name items. However, it's a couple towns away and I needed something immediately. I ended up with a $9 Jobsmart set.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:18 PM
Master Modeler

I know it’s too late now, but I was in Home Depot a couple of days ago and saw metric deep sockets for sale individually in the area where all the sockets/wrenches were in the back corner of the tools area. The 10mm ones were six point.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-14-2020, 04:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I know it’s too late now, but I was in Home Depot a couple of days ago and saw metric deep sockets for sale individually in the area where all the sockets/wrenches were in the back corner of the tools area. The 10mm ones were six point.

Well I'll be. I've never seen singles except for the occasional spark plug socket. I don't get to HD often. It's about 40 miles away and there's always heavy traffic to get to it. I've got a couple Lowe's about 25 miles away and both are much easier to get to. The closest HF is also about 25 miles. If it's something small, I can get to it on curvy roads via two wheels.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If it's something small, I can get to it on curvy roads via two wheels.

Sounds like a fun adventure: Not a drive as in a 4-wheel cage.

Mike
Old 06-14-2020, 05:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Sounds like a fun adventure: Not a drive as in a 4-wheel cage.

Mike

To be honest, I should find a curvy route to more places that are much farther away.

"Honey, say you need a new charging cable for the phone? I'll be back with one in a couple hours...make that three, I may have to stop for gas and a bite to eat!"

"Dang, I lost that 10mm socket in the grass and I can't even see it in the early morning sun. Honey, I'll be back by supper!"

"Hmm, this mower is missing a common 1/4 x 20 bolt. The local Tractor Supply probably has one, but I think that hardware store I saw in the mountains has much higher quality hardware. I'll be back in a couple days, Honey!"