Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Trim Fin Glue Tab

This step shows trimming the balsa glue tab to fit the cuts in the bulkheads. This is not required if you cut the bulkheads deeper than I did.

Cut the bulkhead in the previous step to at least 1/4" deep to allow insertion of the balsa glue tab. The cardstock glue tab will be glued to the top of the Rocket Shell as shown a little later.

Two photos show the trimming operation. Note on the last photo you can see where the trimmed piece is indented, this is where the bulked hit it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0830.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  366.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0842.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  310.9 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 04:28 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Dry Fit Test of Balsa Fin

Here is a photo of a successful Dry Fit Test of the balsa fin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0845.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  282.0 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Gluing the Stabilizer Fin Parts Together

In this step I will glue the outer covering of cardstock to the balsa inner fin.

Quick and easy. Just align the bottom balsa edge with the cardstock fold where the paper glue tabs bend 90 degrees. Balsa is smaller than the cardstock outer covering, this allows room for error and gives the leading edge a knife edge look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0865.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  240.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0861.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  236.6 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 04:49 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
In this step I will glue the outer covering of cardstock to the balsa inner fin.

Quick and easy. Just align the bottom balsa edge with the cardstock fold where the paper glue tabs bend 90 degrees. Balsa is smaller than the cardstock outer covering, this allows room for error and gives the leading edge a knife edge look.
These fins look great. Looks like it will be a very strong attachment to the airframe as well.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Now Time to Change Gears A Little

This step will speed construction while fins are drying. They are stacked on top of each other, with 18lbs of lead tire weights on top while the glue dries on them...

I use the tire weights for weight and balancing of my cardstock rubber band powered airplanes. Have several models designed that use some serious rubber band to fly.

One model, a Lockheed P-38 Lightning has over 20ft of 1/4" super tan rubber inside with 12" props powering a 5ft wingspan. It flat gets with it on take-off! Don't let the prop spin, when winding, it hurts and will cut just like an .049 cox engine will. These are recent designs. Nobody else has cardstock paper airplanes with rubber band power.

Problem is supply of Super Tan in 1/4". FAI is out until the end of this month. Once purchased, I will be selling kits on eBay.

Back to the next step: Gluing all of the cones to get ready for combination gluing to make the Nose Cone. Each piece will be glued while the fins dry. After gluing the fins into place on the shell, the cones will be ready for the combined gluing as they will be dry as well.

Technique photo, cones pre-rolled for gluing, gluing cone using the "gluing Tube" method on the PVC pipe. Final photo has a few parts and pieces ready for final steps.

Adding photo of weights stacked up on fins-didn't realize it was available. Far left of photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0868.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  289.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0859.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  201.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0837.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  326.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rolling - Gluing Cones.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  40.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0890.JPG
Size:  262.6 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 07-12-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: photo of weights
Old 07-12-2020, 05:01 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Whoops: No Photos of Gluing Stabilizer Fins to Shell

Forgot to take photos while gluing the stabilizer fins to the body.

I do have this photo showing the end result.

Be sure to apply glue to the bottom edge of the balsa wood glue tab, and the sides. Apply glue to the under side of the cardstock glue tabs as well. I use two really thin lines of glue on the cardstock. One close to the balsa wood, and the other along the out side edge. this provides a solid glue to the rocket shell. Make sure the balsa goes all the way inside to make contact with the bulkheads!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0894.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  298.2 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 02-07-2022 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-12-2020, 05:13 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Time To Connect Cones

This step I show how to connect the cones to each other to complete the warhead section.

1st step is to put glue on two of the tabs nearest to the glue seam. Align all glue seams to form a straight line.

Reach inside with a finger to pinch the glue into the paper with another finger on the outside pressing down real hard. Must hold this step until the glue tacks solid. Very important to hold until set. This joint will come apart during the next step, if you don't hold long enough. If it comes loose, this will cause severe frustration, trying to get it re-glued over the old glue.

The glue will not get into the cardstock fibers, but glue to the ld glue, this doesn't make a very solid/strong connection.

Please hold/pinch this beginning glue joint longer than you want to!

No photo of the pinching operation, only two hands and both are needed for the pinching.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0870.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  245.2 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 05:30 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Alignment Tick Marks

On all of the cones and fuselage shell I placed small alignment Tick Marks.

Once the 1st glue connection has set, you will need to go to the opposite side and align these tick marks. The bottom edge of the top cone must align with the fold line of the glue tabs.

NOTE:

Oh, yes, you will need to score the bottom line of all the glue tabs on the cones, forgot to mention this. Very important for cone gluing. Must be done before pre-rolling when the cones are still flat.

Even better I do all of my scoring fold lines before any cutting is done. That way I don't forget to score them. By doing them on the full sheet before cutting, allows extra paper to stop small pieces form moving when applying the pressure to crease the cardstock. This little note should have been one of the very first steps mentioned, sorry, my bad...

Took 9-photos of the tick marks, all are fuzzy, this is the best one. I circled the tick mark as best I could, not a very good photo though. 9-photos and could not get one to focus. Next time will use a tripod to see if that helps, macro didn't!

Black circle has the two tick marks aligned.

There are 4-tick marks on each cone where they need to connect to other pieces, they help ensure a straight connection of the cones instead of being lop sided.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Snip Edit.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  64.3 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 05:43 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default After all the Tick Marks Have Been Aligned

Always glue at least two of the tabs located at each Tick Mark. As you get more comfortable gluing them you can glue up to 4-tabs before aligning the marks. Takes a little more skill, but speeds up construction.

Now the Tick Marks first glued should be strong enough to do this step:

Notice how far the lower cone piece is pushed in? Now is the time to glue all of the tabs before pinching them as in the other steps.

Note:

The little "bumps" on the glue tabs where they meet the lower shell, they like to stop the upper cone from sliding all the way to the lower alignment fold line .

Using you fingers to reach inside and press them to the upper shell , quick before connection sets align the upper cone bottom edge to the fold line at the base of the tabs.

Pinching real hard and hold while the glue tacks each tab, by rotating the assembly to make sure each tab is glued.

Continue until all tabs are glued.

Once these tabs are set/tacked, go the opposite side and repeat process. This helps keep the cones in straight alignment. Lop sided looks like a cartoon, so make sure bottom edge of top cone is aligned to the fold lines, no white cardstock of tabs should be showing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0877.JPG
Size:  227.6 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Completed Cone Connection

A couple of photos of glued connection for the top two cones. The next step is twice as hard, hoping you did well on the first set of cones!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0881.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  271.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0882.JPG
Size:  299.6 KB