Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2020, 02:32 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It makes me wish they had built the full length 260 inch motor back in the golden age of real rockets.

Yeah. I think Estes had a rocket plan for that one in one of their MRN's. You could have built your own!
Old 09-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Yeah. I think Estes had a rocket plan for that one in one of their MRN's. You could have built your own!

Yes they did, with an upper stage.
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/eirp_36.htm
Old 09-02-2020, 04:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Ignition was pretty violent. No chuffing, but a chunk of something went flying out. I'm not sure if it was the Estes Solar Igniter or maybe a pinch of wadding.

I remember back in the shuttle days and watching all the various pad camera replays after a launch (there were a BUNCH of camera views of a typical launch). The shock wave that would come blasting out of the *north* end of the flame trench at SRB ignition was quite impressive. But, it was a launch view that was not often shown in news reports and such because you were looking at the side of the stack exactly opposite the orbiter.

That view did give an appreciation of just how much power was being unleashed by those two SRBs...and the bravery it took to ride them on board the shuttle. My heart was squarely in my throat for every shuttle mission I witnessed in person; as much as I would love to go into space aboard a vehicle like that, the adrenaline rush that you would feel sitting strapped in your seat on the pad during that final 30 seconds of the countdown would be incredible.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Ignition was pretty violent. No chuffing, but a chunk of something went flying out. I'm not sure if it was the Estes Solar Igniter or maybe a pinch of wadding.

Coffee out my nose
Old 09-02-2020, 05:24 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
They dumped more CO2 than my vehicle will in a lifetime. I thought I was watching a Kiss concert for a minute.
LMAO!
NASA knows how to do a fog machine AND the pyro
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-02-2020, 07:13 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
That view did give an appreciation of just how much power was being unleashed by those two SRBs...and the bravery it took to ride them on board the shuttle.

I think us folks that have been around since the introduction of small composite motors in the hobby up through the big EX projects have an even better appreciation of what several tons of APCP could do if something goes wrong. We've seen about every possible mode of failure and every bad outcome possible, on a tiny scale in comparison.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 AM
Dazed and Confused

Anybody know offhand if anything is different on the "new" booster other than the number of segments? Same formula, segment dimensions, core profiles, etc?
Old 09-03-2020, 10:00 AM
Apollo Nut

I looked at a couple of fact sheets on them leading up to the firing yesterday, but I have forgotten details of the shuttle SRBs to really compare the two, other than the 'extra' segment as you pointed out. But propellant formulations, core geometries, etc., I am not certain.

Gotta be some stuff out there by NASA though that I am sure would run down all that stuff; I just have not looked for it.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-04-2020, 11:38 AM
BAR

Quote:
Yes they did, with an upper stage.
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/eirp_36.htm

Yeah the big 260 was an interesting SRM... monolithic, no less... I posted in one of my "Study Summaries" in the scale area a study NASA did showing a lot of the details of a proposed Saturn IB replacement that would have had a big 260 SRM first stage topped with an S-IVB second stage and "standard Apollo stack" (spacecraft adapter, CSM, LES). Could have handled a LOT of payload as well, IF (I suspect) the S-IVB could have stood up to the shaking and payload weight on top. I bet it would have had to be beefed up. Course with a larger version of the S-IVB (tank stretch, which was proposed for some of the souped up Saturn V proposals) it could have had some really impressive payload performance. There's even details of the massive barge system they had planned to handle the ENORMOUSLY heavy 260 solid rocket first stages... Pretty interesting.

The proposals for using the big 260's as Saturn V strap-on boosters were pure fantasy IMHO... the launch pad couldn't have handled the weight and the vehicle itself would have had to be re-engineered to handle the stresses and vibration in flight... Sorta like all those 4 SRB versions of the "Magnum" rocket and all that-- WAY too heavy for the VAB and pads, crawlers and crawlerways, etc. Later! OL J R