Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The last people that I talked to said Tom's old website prices were still good. That's been several months ago, though. Just be patient as he is an airline pilot and only works on the decals when he is home.

Thanks Tim. Good to know about prices. And true on his busy schedule. His decals are really terrific. And he will do custom work. I had him enlarge the Estes Orbital Transport decals and they were incredible.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-02-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Very nice! Excellent job on the fins.

Thanks Jeff,
I finally got my Combi Hand Plane out and tried it again (the hand plane recommended by John Boren.). I did not try to plane to final profile, but got close. Then finished with sanding block.

John and Joe, thanks too for your compliments!

Old 10-02-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
Very nice build, I think that I have built 3 of these models, the first was back when it came out in the 1980's. the Phoenix was also my first model that I used composite motors in. My first composites were Aero Tech E28-6 24mm motors. they were very loud and made a lot of smoke, and really sent the Phoenix on it's way.

Those old composite motor were good for making the birds fly and start the dogs barking.

Neal, I bought my first 24/40 RMS a little before I built my Phoenix. Since screw-on retainers weren’t around, I built the Phoenix with two engine hooks, since the aft closure had two recesses on it. I was worried it might kick out. I flew that Phoenix on E11J, F12J, E18W, F24W, E28T, and F39T reloads. I think it’s maybe my favorite RMS. I don’t recall ever using an Estes D12 in the Phoenix.

You are right about the noise. A friend introduced me to composites. He had found an E30 in a hobby store and we went out to try it. I was shocked at the noise, and the acceleration off the pad. I was hooked!

Old 10-04-2020, 06:48 AM
BAR

Did those changes on the aft end require much nose weight to keep the CG at the original point?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 10-04-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Did those changes on the aft end require much nose weight to keep the CG at the original point?

Paul,

I may need to add a bit more, since the aft end is beefier than my original. I’ll check before I fly it. And at the rate launches have been cancelled here due to fire bans, that may be sometime in 2021.
I’ll need to load up one of my 24/40 RMS to install, and then check balance point.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Old Submariner

I've built, flown, lawn-darted, lost, and submerged a few Phoenixes over the years. One thing that was common to all of the builds was that I put a "switchback" type ejection baffle (Semroc EB-807) in all of them to eliminate the need for the amount of wadding needed to fill a BT80.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 10-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Estes Phoenix was the first Phoenix I built as a kit and remember it as being one of my favorite rockets to build and fly. It flew well on a D12-3 with a little bit of extra nose weight.

Since returning to the hobby I felt that I needed another one but refused to pay the asking price. Last year Estes had a black Friday sale that included the executioner. I picked up a couple of these kits and decided to use one to build my phoenix. Everything you need is in one kit except some wood. Like the OP, Back in my youth I experienced the issue with lower fins breaking off and the lower body tube denting in and decided to fix it.

I initially picked up a set of fins from ERockets. They still sell them by the way, but ultimately decided on Basswood for strength. I built the kit using most of the stock Executioner parts but added plywood upper centering ring because I had one. Fins were then cut from Basswood and I added alignment tabs to the upper fins and went TTW to the motor tube on the lower fins. The bottom 4 inches of the body tube where the lower fins attach also received a coupler for extra strength. It was installed using a fair amount of epoxy so the bottom of this thing is stout. A 24mm Estes screw on retainer was used as well.

I used some additional Basswood to make a baffle out of the stock coupler and added Kevlar and elastic for recovery. All of this extra weight moved the CG back almost 3 inches and required 3oz of nose weight to bring it back.

Completed without motor mine sits right at 13oz so it's way too heavy for a D12 motor but flies well on the E12-4. For fun I like to put it up on the AT E20-7