Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2020, 09:45 AM
Cars, Games, Rockets Oh my

I got into this hobby (Again) as it was something I enjoy to do. I don't even think about what they are worth or not. I started it up again as I was cleaning out stuff and found the ONE box of kits that made it through our house fire (Including a Semroc Saturn 1B). Could I have just said the hell with it? Sure I could have but I have a property that I can actually launch them from now. I do know I have a "collecting" bug but sometimes it is almost a FOMO behavior...over 30 year old kits. Either way I will have fun with them while I can, as that is my entire point of doing model rocketry is for fun not for monetary gain.

That being stated this makes me think of all the crap I need to get rid of, more because I don't want my kids to have to deal with it when I am going. Rocket kits are one thing but I have a bunch of electronics and such that can't just be thrown out. I don't see my kids wanting to play a lot of Atari 2600 games or Fairchild Channel F "games" . I just need to draw a line in the sand and say what day will be the day they all need to be gone.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:53 PM
Craftsman

Default Sad to say

but I wonder if rocketry (especially *model* rocketry low-power stuff) is going to die with us. I'm not saying I like it, just that I think I can read between the tea leaves.

Let's face it, our hobby is not a glorious glamorous one with millions of enthusiasts like the role-playing electronic console games. It is not, for the most part, a hobby that you can take "out of the box" and immediately play with....and craftsmanship and patience has gone out of style with all of the past several generations.

Over the past decades, the variety of motors has continuously shrunk. Heck, the number of motor manufacturers has steadily shrunk. The number of major kit manufacturers seems to also be on the decline.

Does anyone remember racing their slot cars? Or collecting die-cast scale models of cars or airplanes? Or collecting stamps? Or insects? Or rocks/minerals?

Here's a really old one, that used to be a HUGE hobby.....does anybody have a bag of marbles?
Old 11-18-2020, 01:25 PM
Cars, Games, Rockets Oh my

That mirrors talk that some of the RC guys have, that the hobby has been shrinking there too. I'm not talking about the ready to run Traxxis crowd but the hobbist kits and racing that follows that too.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by olDave
....does anybody have a bag of marbles?

People tell me I've lost mine.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:04 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
but I wonder if rocketry (especially *model* rocketry low-power stuff) is going to die with us. I'm not saying I like it, just that I think I can read between the tea leaves.

Let's face it, our hobby is not a glorious glamorous one with millions of enthusiasts like the role-playing electronic console games. It is not, for the most part, a hobby that you can take "out of the box" and immediately play with....and craftsmanship and patience has gone out of style with all of the past several generations.

Over the past decades, the variety of motors has continuously shrunk. Heck, the number of motor manufacturers has steadily shrunk. The number of major kit manufacturers seems to also be on the decline.

Does anyone remember racing their slot cars? Or collecting die-cast scale models of cars or airplanes? Or collecting stamps? Or insects? Or rocks/minerals?

Here's a really old one, that used to be a HUGE hobby.....does anybody have a bag of marbles?

I used to feel very much the same way a decade ago. But I have been encouraged to see all the participation by young folk in the annual TARC event(s) and the gains in membership in the NAR in the past 8-10 years. Back 20 years ago or so I thought the NAR might 'die' at some point in the not too distant future, but I think membership now is larger than it ever has been.

Too, it seems there is a renewed interest in space exploration in general among the younger set; companies like SpaceX have made space 'cool' again it seems, at least by my impressions.

And in advertising (of all places) there have been, what, like two or three national-level TV commercials just in the past year or two that have featured rocketry heavily in their spots?

So, maybe there is still reason for hope that rocketry will continue to survive and evolve long after the 'golden age' participants have 'slipped the surly bonds of earth'.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-18-2020, 06:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

My dad had a huge marble collection (I have 1/3 of it around here somewhere). He displayed it in glass cabinets in his house and was always talking about what such and such marble he had was worth. It meant a lot to him.

I also have his coin collection that no one else if the family had any interest in other than to potentially sell off. I keep it because it brings me enjoyment and good memories when I look though it.

I buy rocket kits because I intend to build them. I know what I leave behind will either get tossed or given away. The Grandkids like to launch rockets but I don't think they would want to store or own vintage kits. I am up to 48 unbuilt kits so I need to build down the inventory before I buy any more.

The temptation is great. Must stay off Ebay ....
Old 11-18-2020, 07:12 PM
Lost his Drifter

I roughly superposed two graphs from the NAR site that shows the "age of the NAR" 2004-2016. Looking at this graph it's hard for me not to make an assumption that the microcosm of the NAR somehow represents all rocketry everywhere. It's the working assumption.

A few observtions:

1. The big peak, representing all us old guys (and maybe a few gals), marches to the right.

2. Peak age was about 45 in 2004. In 2016 it straddled the 55-60 age. Wanna bet it's like 60-65 now?

3. The number of members greatly diminishes by age 70-75.

4. The "TARC bump" doesn't move, but did get bigger. Guess all those free memberships paid off.

5. The "TARC bump" got bigger in the early 20-somethings. This is the SLI bump that shows starting in the 2012 curve.

6. The numbers of mature, seasoned adults age 30-45 seems flat.

As that big peak marches to the right and hits the 70-75 age range, the NAR membership is going to tank. I figure that's about 10 years away. Whether it's for monetary, sentimental, or "fun" value, the value of collectable kits is also going to tank. That's my speculation based on what I see in the NAR data - no one is going to be around who cares about stuff like Centuri Little Joe II or low-number Semroc kits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NAR.png
Views: 32
Size:  453.7 KB  
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 AM
Certified Rocket Nut

Great thread. I too am 64 and caught that collecting bug. Like most of you, I did it because I could not afford it as a kid. It's not going to be such a great investment either. It's more for the pure enjoyment. But now recently I have come to the realization that I have far more than I can or will ever be able to build. It's funny how we once dreamed on building them all. That will never happen. So one of the things that I have started doing is giving back and giving it away. I recently gave a bunch of rockets away to kids at a local EAA fly in to paint. They loved it! I had 6 chairs at my table and all were filled the entire time of kids painting rockets. The joy of watching this was tremendous. I plan to do it again next year too. Then at our local NAR section launches, we have been giving away built kits for kids to fly. We call it our Fly it, Take it program. Next year I plan on going through all my launch equipment and making launch boxes to give away to kids so they will have their own launcher. Hopefully this will grow the club. But even if it doesn't, I will be spreading they joy of rocketry that we all know and love.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:37 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamous
Great thread. I too am 64 and caught that collecting bug. Like most of you, I did it because I could not afford it as a kid. It's not going to be such a great investment either. It's more for the pure enjoyment. But now recently I have come to the realization that I have far more than I can or will ever be able to build. It's funny how we once dreamed on building them all. That will never happen. So one of the things that I have started doing is giving back and giving it away. I recently gave a bunch of rockets away to kids at a local EAA fly in to paint. They loved it! I had 6 chairs at my table and all were filled the entire time of kids painting rockets. The joy of watching this was tremendous. I plan to do it again next year too. Then at our local NAR section launches, we have been giving away built kits for kids to fly. We call it our Fly it, Take it program. Next year I plan on going through all my launch equipment and making launch boxes to give away to kids so they will have their own launcher. Hopefully this will grow the club. But even if it doesn't, I will be spreading they joy of rocketry that we all know and love.

Wow, great idea and what a way to entice the younger set to get involved! As a kid just getting into rocktetry I’d been over the moon if someone had given me rockets and or launch gear to help get me started.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-19-2020, 06:57 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Wow, great idea and what a way to entice the younger set to get involved! As a kid just getting into rocktetry I’d been over the moon if someone had given me rockets and or launch gear to help get me started.

Earl

Yeah, I was happy that my Mom took me to JC Penney Toyland to get my Beta.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark