Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2021, 02:19 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Luke,

Please just stop. Enough is enough. You and a couple others have been fixated on this for years. Any time Launch magazine comes up you cry "crook, crook, crook!"

The people who brought us Launch are really nice, honest fellow rocketeers who got wiped out in the economic meltdown of 2008. They lost their business, their homes, their rocketry collections, everything. Subscribers to Launch, who lost totally inconsequential amounts, are at the very bottom of the list of real Launch creditors. You'll get repaid after all the others, which won't ever happen, because it can't.

Honestly, Luke, it's like you loaned a neighbor your hedge trimmer, their house got wiped out in a tornado, and you go on and on for years about how they're a crook because they didn't replace your trimmer. You act as though they engineered their own destruction to take advantage of you.

Nobody defrauded you, Luke. It's time to stop calling people crooks, who aren't.

Steve

And as I think I pointed out at the time, that was standard operating procedure in the magazine business. If you have something to offer to replace, do so, but otherwise you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Sometimes another publisher might pay for the subscriber list and offer something of theirs as a loss-leader.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:04 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I gotta say I lean toward Luke here on this.
If I pay for something I don't get, their name is forever "MUD" unless I'm made whole.
There are small "cottage companies" in rocketry that only produce by "pre order" funds, which I never support.
I don't provide short term financing to businesses that should secure "normal" financing to be in business.
Wayyyyyy to easy to get burned and I don't care if it is for $20 or $20 GRAND.
If you don't have product to ship me immediately upon order, I don't order.... Short of a car built to my order...

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-18-2021, 05:21 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Luke,

Please just stop. Enough is enough. You and a couple others have been fixated on this for years. Any time Launch magazine comes up you cry "crook, crook, crook!"

The people who brought us Launch are really nice, honest fellow rocketeers who got wiped out in the economic meltdown of 2008. They lost their business, their homes, their rocketry collections, everything. Subscribers to Launch, who lost totally inconsequential amounts, are at the very bottom of the list of real Launch creditors. You'll get repaid after all the others, which won't ever happen, because it can't.

Honestly, Luke, it's like you loaned a neighbor your hedge trimmer, their house got wiped out in a tornado, and you go on and on for years about how they're a crook because they didn't replace your trimmer. You act as though they engineered their own destruction to take advantage of you.

Nobody defrauded you, Luke. It's time to stop calling people crooks, who aren't.

Steve

No, I won't shut up about it... Your comparing apples to oranges.

There's a lot of things they could have done to "make it right" and they didn't do ANYTHING but "CUT AND RUN". That is not "good people" that's the actions of a thieving scumbag. If you don't like that, well, that's your OPINION and you're welcome to it just as I am. We've all had downturns in life but it's HOW WE HANDLE IT, how we respond to people who were DOING BUSINESS with us *in good faith* by attempting to *make it right* rather than simply taking off and leaving people screwed to the wall that makes the difference.

You have repeatedly portrayed them as "innocent victims" when in fact they were collecting money for projects they could not afford, blowing money on all sorts of things except ensuring they could deliver the product they had promised to deliver to those (like me) foolish enough to think them honorable and actually intending to deliver said product and wanting to support their efforts, solely to cultivate as much income as they possibly could and improve their own image, and then the whole house of cards collapsed due to their mismanagement, and they walked away from it all and left everybody hanging and screwed with little more than a "sorry it didn't work out, poor us!"

THAT is the FACTS of the situation. Sorry that's not to your liking, but oh well. I will say the same about ANY business that does their customers that way. I'm sure someone would like to blame the customers who got screwed out of hundreds of bucks on kits that Sheri's Hot Rockets never delivered after gladly TAKING their money, and some of the last ones who actually DID get product got a box full of junk that was missing parts, rejects or otherwise damaged, incomplete, or unusable parts. OR some of the folks that got ripped off when Red Arrow folded, etc. At least he had actual life issues from what I understand, not just lacking in business skills and ETHICS like that crook Mark Mayfield...

Later! OL J R
Old 01-18-2021, 05:28 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I gotta say I lean toward Luke here on this.
If I pay for something I don't get, their name is forever "MUD" unless I'm made whole.
There are small "cottage companies" in rocketry that only produce by "pre order" funds, which I never support.
I don't provide short term financing to businesses that should secure "normal" financing to be in business.
Wayyyyyy to easy to get burned and I don't care if it is for $20 or $20 GRAND.
If you don't have product to ship me immediately upon order, I don't order.... Short of a car built to my order...

Exactly, GH...

I know a lot of businesses went through hard times... that is ALWAYS happening to some degree or other. That doesn't excuse unethical behavior, PERIOD.

While they were putting out a glossy and high quality magazine with great contributors, making it attractive and worthy of supporting since I and many others wanted to see more of that sort of thing, MM was throwing huge expensive parties for the crew of Apollo 7 (since Walt Cunningham was one of those great contributors he was working to shmooze along with a lot of other "big names" in aerospace, etc) and making fatcat donations to the Internats team to shmooze his way into and ingratiate himself with the NAR leadership and bigwigs, while his business was "failing" and ultimately collapsed and "couldn't continue" so they just pulled up stakes and moved on... blew a little warm smoke up people's butts about doing an E-zine and other stuff that never happened that would have at least attempted to recompense the people HE SHAFTED out of money (including me).

Those are the antics of a no class used car salesman trying to shmooze his way into a country club he can't afford, on someone else's dime, not "good people". That's the sort of crap a first class scumbag does. If you're gonna go in business, and get people to back your efforts, you tend to BUSINESS first, and make sure they get the product they PAID FOR... *THAT* is what "good people" do and thieving scumbags DO NOT DO.

Later! OL J R
Old 08-20-2021, 02:55 PM
Craftsman

Spotted this on Amazon today:

https://www.amazon.com/Launch-Magaz...t=Mark+Mayfield

I added this to my wish list; just have to wait a year for it to be published.....
Old 08-20-2021, 02:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager

I added this to my wish list; just have to wait a year for it to be published.....

LOL, not me!
Old 08-20-2021, 05:25 PM

Vaporware.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:30 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager

Cool!

I will buy a copy when it comes out.

I will buy several copies if any of the articles I wrote for LAUNCH are included.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:55 AM

Vaporware

Old 08-21-2021, 10:27 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Vaporware

Not if it ever ships.