Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2020, 01:16 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
What would happen if you printed to .pdf, than used that to print the decals?

You have to have the right program to use to create the .pdf.

However, I only have Inkscape right now. Inkscape can't yet do this. I'm doing some research into CorelDraw at the moment. My hope is that it can do it and that I can find an old copy to use...

Stan
Old 12-21-2020, 01:19 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
That's not what rraeford is suggesting.
What he's suggesting is a CMYK color of (100,90,90,99).

At least with Inkscape, it makes no difference. It still treats the box as having CMYK=<0,0,0,100>, as seen when I click away from the box and back to the box. I'm pretty sure, as the pages you pointed to, that Inkscape works internally in RGB space, and converts the RGB to CMYK for the CMYK tab. Which would mean any K of 100 (or that rounds to 100), would treat CMY as all 0's. Like the converter at this page would do.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:15 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
You have to have the right program to use to create the .pdf.

However, I only have Inkscape right now. Inkscape can't yet do this. I'm doing some research into CorelDraw at the moment. My hope is that it can do it and that I can find an old copy to use...

Stan

In Inkscape, go to save as and in the box under the file name, there is a pull down menu with many various file types. select "Portable Document Format (*.pdf)" and viola.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  127.9 KB  

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:38 AM
Master Modeler

Shuyge,

Do not feel like an idiot, the very fact that you know the difference between additive and subtractive color theory puts you way ahead of most. As a graphic designer, I am astounded that design schools graduate students who don’t understand this.

Another thing to try, do you have a color in the default color palette that is called “registration”? That color is 100% of CMYK. Might work.

The difficulty we have with printers is that are made to be “idiot proof”. They take out the ability to change things because most people don’t have a clue how to deal with CMYK conversion. So, the printer software has conversion tables to assign RGB images and colors to CMYK values. They are also set up to save toner or ink as mentioned in a previous post.

If you can create colors in RGB, you make be able fool your printer into making a rich black. E.G. make a color that is RGB (2,2,2).

BTW, printing on clear shouldn’t be any different than printing on white if you’re going to be putting the decal over white paint.

RGB are primary colors and basically represent all the light we can see. CMYK are secondary colors and represent all the colors we can print (this is a bit of an over simplification but for my example, this will do). If you imagine the spectrum of light we can see as the size of a large watermelon, then the size of colors we can print using CMYK is about the size a grapefruit. It’s not a perfect process but it works pretty well.

Reason for this long-winded explanation is that we cannot print really bright colors in CMYK compared to mixed inks (like you would use in screen printing). Where CMYK is particularly weak is in bright reds, oranges and greens.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Craftsman

The problem is that I'm not most people. I have literally spent 20 years of my life working on Windows graphics drivers. From Windows 3.0 on upwards. I know RGB inside and out. I also took the time to understand CMYK a long time ago. I just totally spaced the fact that all of CMYK is based on starting with white as a base color...

Epiphany 2.0

I finally understand why the CMYK inks are translucent. It turns out that is is very intentional and necessary. If the inks weren't translucent, then you wouldn't be able to get the desired color outcome because any printing would remove the white component which is necessary for the proper color. Duh.

Stan

Last edited by shuyge : 12-21-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Craftsman

Default Rich black solution for Inkscape?

I think that I have found a solution for getting to a rich black from Inkscape. It unfortunately involves installing and using another program. At least that program is also free.

Here is a link that describes the process:
https://graphicdesign.stackexchange...f-with-inkscape

I have to work today, but I'll be looking into this later tonight.

Stab
Old 12-22-2020, 11:46 AM
Master Modeler

Stan,
It’s the secret behind drawing and watercolor painting. You draw and paint around the white.