Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2021, 08:53 PM
NAR 85414; NARTREK Silver

Default Cuttin balsa

I have used the Maker to cut 3/32” and 1/16” balsa fins. Both sets were elliptical and they turned out great. No intricate shapes but certainly easier than hand cutting.

My Flight Statistics for the Past Year
  • Number of Flights: 31
  • Total Impulse
    - Total: 710.01 Ns (11% J)
    - Average: 22.90 Ns (15% E)
  • Altitude
    - Total: 4,232 Feet
    - Average: 1,058 Feet
Old 03-15-2021, 09:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w

That pretty much guarantees I won't be buying one. I was seriously thinking about it. I doubt I'd ever do 20 projects in a month, but if they are doing that, they will do something more drastic a few months down the road.

I'm having Photobucket flashbacks!

Old 03-15-2021, 11:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I was also thinking about getting one to cut vinyl decals, but no fargin' way now.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-16-2021, 07:21 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

For cutting vinyl the Silhouette machines seem to be a very good alternative. I don't know if anyone else has anything quite like the Cricut Maker, though.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:11 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
For cutting vinyl the Silhouette machines seem to be a very good alternative. I don't know if anyone else has anything quite like the Cricut Maker, though.

I know a couple of people that are in the custom t-shirt/mug/window decal business using a Cricut. It's going to hammer them.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:51 PM
I do not like Facebook

This is second hand, but it appears Cricut may have blinked:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t...esigns/79517/20

Even though I am a member of two makerspaces, both with laser cutters and industrial-sized vinyl cutters and one with Cricut and Silhouette as well, I have been considering buying a Maker to use at home and to take to club meetings.

The big vinyl cutters are extremely wasteful of material when making decals for small models.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 03-16-2021, 07:17 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Default Cricut Caves After Users Revolt

Well, that did not take long. The CEO reversed their planned policy to limit image uploads to 20 per month, unless you pay for a Cricut subscription.

The letter states that this will apply to anyone registering a new or used machine before 12/31/2021, and will be a lifetime commitment to this policy. It does not say if or how the policy might change next year for new users, but states the desire for new customers to have the benefit of affordably priced unlimited uploads.

https://inspiration.cricut.com/a-le...efA6IFvQXts7a6M

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 03-16-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Well, that did not take long. The CEO reversed their planned policy to limit image uploads to 20 per month, unless you pay for a Cricut subscription.

The letter states that this will apply to anyone registering a new or used machine before 12/31/2021, and will be a lifetime commitment to this policy. It does not say if or how the policy might change next year for new users, but states the desire for new customers to have the benefit of unlimited uploads.

https://inspiration.cricut.com/a-le...efA6IFvQXts7a6M

Wow, you are right: that didn’t take long.

I can only imagine the volume of his email (or Public Affairs/Customer Service) and/or the language contained in said emails that came in overnight! Yikes!! But, at least they did listen to their customers to some degree.

I wonder if the end-of-the-year stance will hold. They may be forced to rescind that, too.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-16-2021, 08:23 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Sure would have been an obvious move to grandfather existing owners *before* self-inflicting this ridiculous PR disaster.

New buyers might still be put off by the new rules after December 31, but they could have avoided enraging their existing customer base, which, I dunno, seems like it would have been smart business.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:24 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Wow, you are right: that didn’t take long.

I can only imagine the volume of his email (or Public Affairs/Customer Service) and/or the language contained in said emails that came in overnight! Yikes!! But, at least they did listen to their customers to some degree.

I wonder if the end-of-the-year stance will hold. They may be forced to rescind that, too.

Earl

Earl,

I went onto reddit last night and the posts were brutal. People who already subscribe to Cricut Access (and many said they are OK with what it provides) cancelled their subscription because they thought it was absurd what Cricut proposed. And with no warning. Some even said it was illegal (something about having to buy a second product to use the first product). I am no legal scholar but it was certainly deceitful. Many who had just bought their machines felt betrayed.

I also signed a petition and voiced my opinion. Like many, I said I would walk away from Cricut and buy a Silhouette machine. They get good reviews, but apparently the software has a tougher learning curve. Pro and cons for either choice.

I will continue to use my Maker, it is a great machine. And I’ll get the knife tool, so I can cut fins and centering rings. I will probably make them with a core of balsa or basswood, with cardstock rings on either side, to make them strong, and lightweight.

I just received the latest issue of Sport Rocketry. There is a very good article by Joseph Hermann about using the Cricut to make decals. It gave me some ideas for another project.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp