Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2021, 09:26 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Used to fly the Cox D8-3 a lot in my Mars Landers and 1284 full-stack Space Shuttles.
Just about the perfect motor for them. I'm down to only 3 D8-3s and one D8-0.
All the Cox motors I have are of a 1971 production date. The majority were flown in the mid 80's to early 90's. The last one I flew was in 2005 in a Mars Lander.
Used the Cox D8-0 to CHAD stage various rockets such as the Estes Patriot and Nike Ajax.
Never had one cato either.
Wish we could get those back. Just enough over an Estes C, but not to the level of a D12 or an Aerotech D. I don't think with the modern weaker black powder they would be possible in a 70mm casing. Estes should offer a "long" 18mm motor like they offer a "long" 24mm motor with the E12.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-21-2021, 09:48 AM
rosko_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Sorry, I wasn't able to do a continuous scan to keep the tri-fold poster all together. Perhaps someone with some graphic skills can stitch the three pages back together....

Crude but effective... I "stitched" the brochure together and it ended being a 20 megabyte PDF, even at a smaller size. Originally it was over 30 inches tall but I decreased the size to 25 inches tall... still too big to post. I took a "screen shot" for all to enjoy.

Faithwalker: If you divide the scans into five sections instead of three then I could do a better job at "stitching" the pictures together. Just FWI I am using PowerPoint, the "poor man's" graphic program, to stitch these. Then I "print" the file using doPDF 10 to "print" the file, that is how I do my decals and it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  COX Tri-Fold Brochure.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  83.2 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 03-21-2021, 11:16 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The swing wing boost glider is interesting. The design appears to be lifted directly from the swing wing boost glider illustration pictured in the group of boost glider types that Stine published in the Handbook of Model Rocketry.

Too bad this awesome looking BG model never made it to market.
TRA 2150 (lapsed)
Old 03-21-2021, 01:20 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko_racer
Crude but effective... I "stitched" the brochure together and it ended being a 20 megabyte PDF, even at a smaller size. Originally it was over 30 inches tall but I decreased the size to 25 inches tall... still too big to post. I took a "screen shot" for all to enjoy.

Faithwalker: If you divide the scans into five sections instead of three then I could do a better job at "stitching" the pictures together. Just FWI I am using PowerPoint, the "poor man's" graphic program, to stitch these. Then I "print" the file using doPDF 10 to "print" the file, that is how I do my decals and it works fine.

Thanks, Raúl, for stitching the Cox Model Rocketry Poster sections together and for explaining how you did it! Perhaps I'll attempt to try it with PowerPoint myself to see if I can improve the image. Will get back with you.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 03-21-2021, 07:28 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
There are some clues to help date the introduction of the L.M. Cox model rocket engines and kits as well as the Cox Model Rocketry Poster/brochure. Notice in the Cox Astra Engine illustration on the brochure, there is a 1969 date on the engine label.

Also, later, in the released Cox Launch Control Instruction Manual, the last page provides some additional clues on the dated release of some of the Cox model rockets. Both the Uprated Saturn 1B and the Saturn V models show availability as of June 1970. Plus, the igniter illustration on the last page of the Cox Launch Control Instruction Manual shows a different style of igniter than the Astra igniter. The style shown in the Cox Launch Control Instruction Manual is the style that Cox ultimately released instead of the Astra igniter with sockets for the two prong connector shown in the Astra Launcher illustration. In addition, notice that Cox added legs to the Launch Control Pad that was actually released vs. the Astra Launch Control Pad did not show any legs on it.

These clues lead me to believe that the Cox Model Rocketry Poster/brochure was likely printed in late 1969 or early 1970.

The November 1969 issue of Model Rocketry Magazine: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo...02n02_11-69.pdf , page 29 (frame 31), has an introduction of the first L.M. Cox ready-to-launch Model Rocket kits: 1/125 scale Little Joe II, 1/24 scale Honest John and 1/24 scale Nike Zeus.

The April 1970 issue of Model Rocketry Magazine: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo...02n07_04-70.pdf , page 11 (frame 13), shows the Cox Dyna-Soar prototype model and the Saturn V that were to be introduced in late Spring 1970, but, to my knowledge, the Dyna-Soar did not ever get released. I don't believe that the Cox Saturn V launch tower was ever released either.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Cox_Dyna-Soar_and_Saturn_V_intro.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  59.3 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 03-21-2021 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Add Cox Saturn V launch tower release note.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:05 PM
Apollo Nut

A few weeks ago I was able to pick up an envelope of literature concerning this Cox poster/brochure.

The envelope was post marked May, 1970 and included the poster/brochure (I've attached a full, stitched version below), along with scanned copy of the cover letter and the price list which was on the back of the cover letter.

Interesting to note the Saturn V tower (which, as has been previously stated, was never released) was set to cost $9. Would have made a nice addition had they ever released it.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Cox Product Brochure 1970-Final Full Poster.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  1.55 MB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cox Product Brochure 1970-Cover Letter.pdf (1.20 MB, 82 views)
File Type: pdf Cox Product Brochure 1970-Cover Letter2.pdf (802.8 KB, 75 views)
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-27-2021, 10:11 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
A few weeks ago I was able to pick up an envelope of literature concerning this Cox poster/brochure.

The envelope was post marked May, 1970 and included the poster/brochure (I've attached a full, stitched version below), along with scanned copy of the cover letter and the price list which was on the back of the cover letter.

Interesting to note the Saturn V tower (which, as has been previously stated, was never released) was set to cost $9. Would have made a nice addition had they ever released it.

Earl

Hi Earl,

Nice find! Thanks for sharing with us to help confirm the date of the Vintage Cox Model Rocketry Poster! It is interesting that the poster portrays the Astra Glider, but the included order form/price sheet instead lists the Dyna-Soar glider (which is not on the poster illustration) and the included order form/price sheet does not mention the portrayed Astra Glider, although the order form/price sheet does mention all the other model rockets depicted.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 04-28-2021, 12:19 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Would be nice if some company would offer a scale Saturn V/1B tower one could actually use that is NOT made of cardboard.
A thermoset flame-proof plastic would be good.
As it would have a very limited audience, it most likely would be cost prohibitive to produce.
Just seeing the prices of plastic scale airplane kits are now ridiculous, a scale tower would be over $200.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-21-2022, 03:13 AM
Craftsman

Just recently learned that graphic artist Otto Kuhni is the one who produced the attractive eye-catching illustrations for the L.M. Cox Manufacturing Co. Model Rocketry Poster tri-fold brochure:

https://www.hotwheelsonline.com/otto-kuhni.html

https://www.hotwheelsonline.com/interview.html

https://www.hotwheelsonline.com/biography.html

See Otto Kuhni's Cox Model Rocketry illustration under the following link: https://www.hotwheelsonline.com/aviation.html

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Cox_Model_Rocketry_Poster_cover.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  125.3 KB  
Old 02-26-2022, 10:41 PM
Craftsman

Thanks to Sven Knudson, this 1970 Vintage Cox Model Rocketry Poster tri-fold brochure has been added to the ninfinger.org model rocketry site: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca.../coxposter.html

Thanks also to Earl on this forum for providing the large stitched image of the 1970 Vintage Cox Model Rocketry Poster and for providing the May 1970 timeframe for this L.M. Cox Manufacturing Company publication!

Thanks, Sven and Earl!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR