Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2021, 11:55 PM
Master Modeler

Default Boeing Starliner delayed another year (links)

Hello All,

Boeing's Starliner spacecraft is delayed another year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2UpLIpRhI (Scott Manley https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...ry=Scott+Manley has covered this in detail; my Uncle Dan, who worked at Boeing on Project Gemini through the ISS, is embarrassed, I’m sure) The Atlas V earmarked for the Starliner second test flight was used to launch the Lucy Trojan asteroids probe instead (see: https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...steroid+mission ). The TMRO Space News show (see: https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...TMRO+Space+News ) covers these developments well, as does Scott Manley.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-20-2021, 08:27 AM
Dazed and Confused

It's scary that they thought it was ready for a test flight, yet something is bad enough to delay a full year.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:54 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What a freakin' JOKE.

This thing should just be scrapped.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-20-2021, 09:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

I just read that Orion has been moved to the VAB and is "on schedule" to launch 1st quarter of 2022. It's crazy to think that NASA Orion/SLS could beat the Boeing Starliner to orbit. Meanwhile, Space-X keeps kicking butt and taking names.

Interesting notes:

Lucy is having solar panel issues. It's generating power, but they don't know if they can fire engines without it being locked into position.

I either forgot or never knew that the service engine for Orion is a repurposed OMS engine from the space shuttle.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:58 AM

Agree with SpaceX, all the way.
They never seem to have any/all the delays/problems that ALWAYS PLAGUE all programs NASA is associated with.
Glad SpaceX has their OWN launch/landing facilities as well to not be subject to any garbage NASA delays/nonsense.
They really should construct something outside of territorial waters to be able to give the "big razzberry" to any/all gubmint agencies that try to butt their snoots in to regulate their activities/launches.
NO STINKIN OVERSIGHT/REGULATION NEEDED, EVER ! Unless you are payin' for it, you get NO say !

Old 10-20-2021, 10:35 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I just read that Orion has been moved to the VAB and is "on schedule" to launch 1st quarter of 2022. It's crazy to think that NASA Orion/SLS could beat the Boeing Starliner to orbit. Meanwhile, Space-X keeps kicking butt and taking names.

Interesting notes:

Lucy is having solar panel issues. It's generating power, but they don't know if they can fire engines without it being locked into position.

I either forgot or never knew that the service engine for Orion is a repurposed OMS engine from the space shuttle.

So, is it actually then "delayed until NEXT year", as compared to "delayed ANOTHER year" (a whole year longer), is that correct? Early 2022, as you posted, is what I'd been hearing most recently. I had not heard the news that it was delayed a WHOLE year as noted in the first post in this thread.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-20-2021, 11:11 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
So, is it actually then "delayed until NEXT year", as compared to "delayed ANOTHER year" (a whole year longer), is that correct? Early 2022, as you posted, is what I'd been hearing most recently. I had not heard the news that it was delayed a WHOLE year as noted in the first post in this thread.

Earl

Boeing Starliner is delayed, as per the OP. Orion/SLS is on schedule to launch 1st quarter.

From his video link, Manley says Boeing/Starliner will be lucky to get a crewed Demo launch in 2022 and maybe be operational in 2023, 7 years late. Astronauts were reassigned due to the extended delay.

A development version of the Orion was launched in 2014. I'm assuming that if SLS had been ready sooner, Orion would have been considered operational as well, but I haven't really kept up with it.

I did read that Boeing "thinks" they have the problem solved of 13 out of 24 oxidizer valves sticking. They are going to put hot pockets and hoarded silica packs from products bought on Amazon in there.

Seriously, heaters and desiccant is their intended solution.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
The Scott Manley video that I watched about the Starliner valve problems, he said if they can figure out how the moisture is getting into the valves and figure out a way how to correct the problem and fix it that maybe a test launch could be attempted again mid 2022. And if everything went well with the test launch then a crewed launch might happen in the fall of 2022.

Space.com put out an article this morning saying Boeing thinks it's just humidity and they plan to use system heaters and desiccant to fix it. Hot hands and silica packs!
Old 10-20-2021, 01:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Boeing Starliner is delayed, as per the OP. Orion/SLS is on schedule to launch 1st quarter.

From his video link, Manley says Boeing/Starliner will be lucky to get a crewed Demo launch in 2022 and maybe be operational in 2023, 7 years late. Astronauts were reassigned due to the extended delay.

A development version of the Orion was launched in 2014. I'm assuming that if SLS had been ready sooner, Orion would have been considered operational as well, but I haven't really kept up with it.

I did read that Boeing "thinks" they have the problem solved of 13 out of 24 oxidizer valves sticking. They are going to put hot pockets and hoarded silica packs from products bought on Amazon in there.

Seriously, heaters and desiccant is their intended solution.

Ahhh... Ok, got it now. I was reading to fast and confusing spacecraft names. Orion/Starliner...Starliner/Orion........ The sound very different as words, but in my mind I kinda lump them both together at times it seems.

Well, if there is going to be a humidity test, the Florida coast could be considered ground zero!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-20-2021, 03:21 PM

Seven YEARS LATE ?!?!?
WTH ?
In any other industry that thing would be dead TWO years late.
Sounds like ridiculous piss-poor validation to me.