Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2022, 07:02 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Interesting...I stupidly built many of my early Semroc purchases before recognizing the collectability aspects, but at least hung on to the numbered cards. I'll scan them for ignominy later. I've got Micron #94 as the newer format (waterslide decal, not paper) so they upgraded fairly quickly.

I've got a bunch of very low numbers over the years, typically #6-#10, and all were waterslides. It wasn't until I picked up some of the family numbers that I noticed a few used the printed paper numbers, and I even have one where the "number" is handwritten on the back of the instruction booklet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
When Launch Lab Rocketry had thier black Friday sale I noticed a Semroc kit Lil Hercules that seemed unusual. The blue in the hang tag was very dark, the font of the address was small and rounded, and the numbered kit badge was printed in greyscale on a label that included the edges of other labels from the sheet. I also noticed two other kits the Micron and Triton that were already sold that were similar. The kits were low numbers, the Micron was 0013 and the Lil’ Herc was 0016. The tag for the Triton is tucked under the fins so the number can’t be seen. I got to thinking those numbers might be low enough to be in the original run of kits sold at NARAM several months before being offered to the general public, so I ordered the Lil’ Hercules and waited. The kit came the other day and is in great shape. The Face Card appears to carstock and there are a lot of pages for a kit with a few parts. I gently lifted the edges of the instructions through the bag to try to glimpse the instructions date Carl added to most instructions and was rewarded with a date of July 29,2003, a couple of days before NARAM, where the initial run of kits was sold. Carl officially started taking orders in October 2003 and the published instructions of the initial four kits have an October date, so this find confirms these early instructions are dated and there may be other differences between the July/August and October kits. Below are screen shots of all three kits, it is nice to finally see these early kits.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:50 AM
Sometimes collector

I bet you enjoyed them more building them than collecting them. Any scans would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:59 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

OK, here's my contribution to the value of everyone's collection--the numbered kits I built rather than stashed.

I'd post pics of the kits I did stash too, but that would take way too much time and for security reasons I would not want to risk disclosing their location .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  img01042022_069.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  1.26 MB  
Old 01-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

I was especially amused to find that the rocket rack was actually a numbered edition product.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
What does the Rocket-Rack look like?

Like the old Centuri version.

Down at the bottom...

Old 01-04-2022, 01:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Cool 😎

I've got a few. I usually display my 3FNC rockets vertically on a shelf or hang them on the wall to maximize space, but rockets like the Estes Interceptor, Orbital Transport, SST Shuttle, KC-6 Space Shuttle, Centuri Super Kits, etc. look great on the high angled Rocket Racks.

Rockets like the X-Wing, Buck Rogers Starfighter, Centuri Fighter Fleet, etc. look better at a lower angle to me. I've got some of them on homemade stands but it takes up more space. The Rocket Rack is a good compromise on angle if you don't have as much room.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
OK, here's my contribution to the value of everyone's collection--the numbered kits I built rather than stashed.

I'd post pics of the kits I did stash too, but that would take way too much time and for security reasons I would not want to risk disclosing their location .

Yeah, with a few exceptions this is my list. (I still have my Mars Lander bagged.) I was nowhere near organized enough to do a collage like this one, but the tags occasionally turn up here and there.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-04-2022, 04:47 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I never had a Centuri Rocket Rack, but BMS sells a clone, available in wood or black fiberboard. I’ve built several of the fiberboard ones. They are very smooth and easy to paint, but the natural black looks just fine.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Just a quick aside, were the Colorado fires far enough away from you Lee? A very sad event for those folks certainly.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-04-2022, 07:50 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Just a quick aside, were the Colorado fires far enough away from you Lee? A very sad event for those folks certainly.

Earl

Earl, yes, they were near Boulder. Thanks for your concern. We are about 35 miles northeast of Boulder. But ... we are very close to foothills, and we had horrible fires last year that we could see in the skies west of us ranging from 5-10 miles away. If wind would have been heavy last year during those fires, its possible we could have had our neighborhood destroyed. We had to stay inside for days. A few days it looked like dusk all day long. We had a layer of ashes covering everything. A real mess.

We watched live coverage of this recent fire. One reporter was across a pond from a blazing home. Several nearby homes were not on fire, and looked like they might be OK. They switched to another location or two, and then back to that first reporter. She was visibly shaken. In that time from her early coverage, mayb3 30 minutes, wind had started gusting, and all the homes near her were ablaze.
Recently some investigation has ruled out downed power lines as the cause, and it looks somebody was burning trash 5-7 miles from that subdivision, which then set a shed on fire. Winds near 100 mph are believed to have caused embers to travel miles across open fields and grassy hills.

We have had wind that high, but not as frequently as Boulder. I went to college in Boulder and remember crawling on the ground to get from Engineering Center to my nearby dormitory! Impossible to stand and walk in wind that strong.

These fires were a real wakeup call. I plan to start the process of videotaping and commenting on all our possessions. Besides rocket kits, I have a pretty complete woodshop. Heck, with insane price increases we have seen on lumber and fine hardwoods in the past year, now my inventory of wood might actually be worth more than my tools!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp