Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2022, 12:51 AM
Craftsman

No problem I like these sort of built up models, I find the construction and weight savings interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Still have that X-15-its pushing 10-y/o. It was an experiment on internal wing structure. Instead of using ribs, used a double sheet of cardstock to maintain the airfoil.

It worked for low power launches, 40lbs of air pressure, anything over that, the wings would fold at the wing root.

Will be drawing a newer version using the detail photos I took of the one at Wright-Patterson AFB Museum last June.

To save weight instead of cardstock spars, now use balsa-lighter/stronger but they break instead of tear like the cardstock does.

Really like watching your glider videos. Thanks for posting them!

Mike
Old 02-16-2022, 10:15 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Pulsejet

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
No problem I like these sort of built up models, I find the construction and weight savings interesting.

I have a prototype Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane. Fiberglass spars. 4ft wing span. Weighs 3lb 1oz. RTF except wood won't work for flying.

The next one will be the flyer. Will have a really thin stainless steel power frame. The prototype used a wood version. It would fly apart at the frequency the pulsejet runs at.

Flying version will have a 4'-6" Wingspan and weigh approx. 4lbs., the engine has 3.5lbs static thrust.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  52.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  188.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0293.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  323.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0271.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  293.1 KB  
Old 03-01-2022, 01:56 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default 12.7 oz Almost RTF

67" Tall when standing on the floor.
Lots of glue went into this one. Probably 1-oz extra due to many tear aparts and re-glue.

The Fins were something new to deal with, finally got a workable solution. Re-drew model to fix several issues.

Found out after trying two of the fin cones that you can't build like the old style, need to use a different technique. I've taken several photos while building. I'll post a separate build thread in case any want to build one after I flight test.

A photo of the 67 inch tall Saturn V
Weighs with D12-3, 30" nylon parachute = 12.7oz
Still need to add the rod guides

One of the redraws-was where to separate for the parachute recovery. One photo shows the Saturn V standing the other has a red arrow pointing to the separation point: Upper Third stage. Apollo, CSM and LM cover separate from rest of model.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  1-60 SC Saturn V 67inch Tall 12.7 OZ RTF.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  30.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1-60 SC Saturn V 67inch Tall 12.7 OZ RTF Red Arrow.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  30.5 KB  
Old 03-01-2022, 04:35 AM
Apollo Nut

That is an impressive size paper model! I am curious to see it fly, once you get to that point. Especially interested in seeing how that D12 does.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-01-2022, 06:54 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Way too heavy for a D12 or E12. Probably "cruise missile" shortly off the pad in even nearly no wind.
You REALLY NEED a high-thrust composite engine for ANY sort of a flight resembling a ROCKET
. An E30-4T would be a good minimum. A 24mm F32T would be better. If you have an RMS 24 Casing, the E28 and F24 would be good candidates. A cluster of 3 Q-Jet 18mm Ds would work also.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-01-2022, 11:11 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Estes Engine Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Way too heavy for a D12 or E12. Probably "cruise missile" shortly off the pad in even nearly no wind.
You REALLY NEED a high-thrust composite engine for ANY sort of a flight resembling a ROCKET
. An E30-4T would be a good minimum. A 24mm F32T would be better. If you have an RMS 24 Casing, the E28 and F24 would be good candidates. A cluster of 3 Q-Jet 18mm Ds would work also.

Have a 5ft long 1/4" stainless steel rod that I'm using for launching.

When I emailed Estes asked lots of questions, they were sure about 14oz lift weight. Said to use a 4-ft or longer rod (10oz rocket).

Not sure if the drag curve will keep it below 3-second delay range. The maximum diameter of the fuselage is 6.75".

The nylon parachute weighs 1.2oz. Have some mylar might make my own to see if possible to lose weight there.
Will use the lighter weight cardstock and reprint a new rocket to test the design changes and weight savings.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer : 03-02-2022 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:08 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Mike, those are all very impressive .
You might want to consider low to mid power rocketry.
That would reduce the number of sheets needed
And lowering the entry cost.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:18 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Digital Scale Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Mike, those are all very impressive .
You might want to consider low to mid power rocketry.
That would reduce the number of sheets needed
And lowering the entry cost.

I like the bigger rockets. Always have.

Yes, the initial cost is spendy. I based my costs on the fact doing airplane models, they are all painted for the whole model. Most of the rockets I've done are not painted top to bottom. There is more white on these than black. So, thinking I can lower the cost because of reduced ink needed.

Want to give a different option for some of the same models. Don't want to compete with the established markets that have small rockets covered. Plenty of players already.

I can do the small rockets as a download PDF to print at home. Already have lots of rockets-just need to convert to the correct tube size internally. Eventually this will be an option.

Offering something bigger that you can still use the smaller engines with is my goal with these printed kit models.

Look at these a little different.

The size of the rocket compared to the weight.

Thinking that If I remove 6 inches of length that will drop almost 3.5 estimated ounces of weight. That means it would still be 5feet tall: and under 10-oz total RTF weight.

The photo below with the rocket on the digital scale shows 12.7-oz. That is with a 30inch nylon chute and D12-0 engine. 12.9-oz with D12-3. The rocket cardstock weight is 10.1-oz.

If I shorten the size and it only drops 3-oz of the total estimated weight, that means it is close to what the Saturn V from Estes weighs.

Big rockets/light weight using Mid-Power D12-3. Wait'll you see the monster for the E12-4.

A final thought, wondering what a Big Bertha might look like.

Only flight testing will show if it works. If it don't-Rocket will work for another rocket lamp.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT2010.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  307.8 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 03-02-2022 at 11:49 PM. Reason: change of wording
Old 03-03-2022, 07:14 AM
BAR

This is pretty cool. I’d be leery of a D12-3 flight too, especially given the drag of such a large diameter. It will be interesting! An Estes E16-4 would be better, an Aerotech E20 even better.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-03-2022, 07:14 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
I like the bigger rockets. Always have.

Yes, the initial cost is spendy. I based my costs on the fact doing airplane models, they are all painted for the whole model. Most of the rockets I've done are not painted top to bottom. There is more white on these than black. So, thinking I can lower the cost because of reduced ink needed.

Want to give a different option for some of the same models. Don't want to compete with the established markets that have small rockets covered. Plenty of players already.

I can do the small rockets as a download PDF to print at home. Already have lots of rockets-just need to convert to the correct tube size internally. Eventually this will be an option.

Offering something bigger that you can still use the smaller engines with is my goal with these printed kit models.

Look at these a little different.

The size of the rocket compared to the weight.

Thinking that If I remove 6 inches of length that will drop almost 3.5 estimated ounces of weight. That means it would still be 5feet tall: and under 10-oz total RTF weight.

The photo below with the rocket on the digital scale shows 12.7-oz. That is with a 30inch nylon chute and D12-0 engine. 12.9-oz with D12-3. The rocket cardstock weight is 10.1-oz.

If I shorten the size and it only drops 3-oz of the total estimated weight, that means it is close to what the Saturn V from Estes weighs.

Big rockets/light weight using Mid-Power D12-3. Wait'll you see the monster for the E12-4.

A final thought, wondering what a Big Bertha might look like.

Only flight testing will show if it works. If it don't-Rocket will work for another rocket lamp.

Mike

I like playing around with low and slow rockets myself. It's fun experimenting with going less and less total impulse on a draggy model. My son and I have done paper models this way, but not quite the size you are working on. I also like building traditional models with large dia tubes and thick draggy fins for demos at schools.

Your Saturn is borderline at best with a D12-3. They have a total impulse of about 17n/s. The weight isn't so much an issue by itself. I've flown skinny mid power rockets that weighed nearly that much with D12-3's just to be able to fly on a small field. It's the drag that big body will create. You're looking at a motor that pushes the 4" Estes version only to about 100-120 ft on a calm day. Your model will be lucky to get 60-70 ft. It will be really close to the ground when it ejects. Heck, it will be close to the ground at apogee! A cluster of three C6-3's would be a better starting choice, with an impulse of about 27n/s. If it is still slightly going up at ejection, you can try going down to the D12-3. If it is past apogee and dropping a little fast for your liking, go with a 4 C6-3 cluster or move on up to the E12. Fly with zero wind on any of the combinations. That thing is a giant sail.

My son and I took this approach with his Semroc Saturn 1B, playing with motor combinations to tinker with altitudes and liftoff speeds just for fun. Single D12-3, 3 C6-3's, 4 B6's, 4 C6's.