Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2023, 03:52 PM
Master Modeler

Chinese balloon shot down over Atlantic Ocean (U.S. territorial waters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNVhLhq3CEQ

The balloon's payload is approximately 90 feet long, or the length of two motorhomes, and the balloon itself is much larger. Here's one of the clearest views of the balloon.

The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 02-04-2023, 08:48 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

The Hype reached F-Troop level....
(click the link for video with sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnXu2xGwJRo

("It is Balloon!")
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 02-05-2023, 07:05 AM
Master Modeler

...retired Maj. Gen. Larry Stutzriem, director of research for the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, made the case to NewsNation’s Leland Vittert that the alleged Chinese spy balloon is so close to land, it’s capturing much clearer images than a satellite ever could.

“There was a statement out of the Pentagon about, ‘Hey, the Chinese could get all this by satellite.’ Well, no. The satellites are up about 350 miles,” he said. “This thing’s around 12 miles, and so you can see cat whiskers from that balloon if it’s instrumented correctly.”

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...as-with-missile

Senior U.S. military and defense officials shared the following information about the shootdown in a subsequent press briefing on Saturday afternoon:

An F-22 Raptor from the 1st Fighter Wing at Langley Air Force Base fired a single AIM-9X Sidewinder missile that downed the balloon from an altitude of 58,000 feet. The balloon was as high as 65,000 feet.

The shootdown occurred at the first available opportunity to do so without threat to those on the ground.

The U.S. took steps to stop and mitigate the balloon's collection, neutralizing its intelligence value and preventing it from sending data back to China as it passed over sensitive sites.

There were three previously undisclosed intrusions by Chinese surveillance into U.S. airspace, but never of this duration. Two of these incursions came during the President Donald Trump administration, with the third early in the Biden administration. The Chinese explanation for this balloon's flight lacked credibility.

The balloon entered the Alaska Joint Operation Area on January 27, Canadian airspace on January 30, and the continental U.S. over northern Idaho on January 31.

This is not the only surveillance balloon operating in the western hemisphere, with another operating over south and Central America as part of a fleet at the People's Liberation Army's direction across five continents.

What was an air operation to shoot the balloon down is now a recovery operation in conjunction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation on the debris' chain of custody.

Debris from the balloon fell in only 47 feet of water, much shallower than expected. There are multiple Navy and Coast Guard vessels in the area but no timeline for recovery from a debris field spanning seven miles.
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan

Last edited by Winston2021 : 02-05-2023 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:04 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
The Hype reached F-Troop level....
Yep, definitely a lot of hype about a blatant airspace violation, but if it was Russian, there would be SO much more and the previous intrusions would have been shot down. Why? Because unlike China, there aren't huge sums of money to be made in Russia by Wall Street.

Freeview with Amazon Prime:

The China Hustle (2018)

From the producers of Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room, a Wall Street heist story about Chinese companies, the US stock market and a still-unfolding financial crime so big, it has the power to affect all of our wallets.

https://www.amazon.com/China-Hustle...d/dp/B07BQRKGLG

Also, LEGAL freeview of same (for now - they regularly change what is available for free) in Tubi:

https://tubitv.com/movies/590869/the-china-hustle
Old 02-05-2023, 10:07 AM
Master Modeler

More tech details:

The Inside Story on the F-22's Chinese Spy Balloon
5 Feb 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2xz21HvLs8
Old 02-05-2023, 10:36 AM
Master Modeler

Old 02-05-2023, 11:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

The spy balloon passed over TN. I continued to pee outside, but I made sure to flip them off every time.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:39 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

F-22 Raptor and AIM-9X Sidewinder for the WIN !
Should have happened in a Montana field.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-06-2023, 11:28 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

From what I have been reading, they waited so long to figure out how to make it survive the crash landing. That way they could get a better idea of the tech inside.
___
Old 02-06-2023, 01:05 PM
Master Modeler

From a balloon track I've seen, it passed near this in Alaska:

Ground-Based Midcourse Defense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groun...dcourse_Defense

ABMs for a number of reasons are AT BEST useful against VERY limited nuclear attacks:

Countermeasures: A Technical Evaluation of the Operational Effectiveness of the Planned US National Missile Defense System (2000)

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ense-System.pdf

Because of the great asymmetrical advantage that a North Korean thermonuclear warhead equipped ICBM used in an EMP attack would have since being a backwards country they have little to lose from a response in kind EMP attack from us, but we'd have huge amounts to lose in an EMP attack by them, the threat of an EMP attack by NK is the most logical one to assume. It's their guarantee against "regime change."

NK is a China wildcard, so they could be doing this spying (IF ANY) on NK's behalf. Also, the first strike by China itself could be an EMP one since that kills no one directly and, therefore, would be a more credible first step and perceived threat. Because of that, our ABM system would be of interest to them, too.

China wants Taiwan mainly because it manufactures 90% of the world's most advanced integrated circuits and the technology and machinery to do that have wisely been denied to China and, unlike most everything else, the machinery to do that is INSANELY impressive and the incredibly complex IP heavily protected by the SOLE manufacturer of those machines.

Also, the US Army War College just did an analysis saying that the best deterrent against a Chinese invasion would be to let them know clearly that those few plants would be reduced to rubble if they invade. The analysis said the Taiwanese should pledge that, but if they didn't do it, we surely world. I recently heard a DoD official say exactly that.