Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2023, 07:46 PM
Craftsman

Default Culling of the Rocket Fleet

The other thread about "What Happens to your Rocketry Collection when you die?" reminded me of two years ago when I was cleaning in the garage and decide to cull (get rid of) a bunch of E2X rockets that I was not emotionally attached too. I needed the storage room and decided to just pitch them; ended up throwing out 30.

I may have to do some more culling this year since I am running out of storage room for completed rockets (I have about 366 flyable rockets right now). Over the years I have lost/pitched about 114.

I have thought of just putting the largest motor in possible and just letting them get lost but that is not very environmentally friendly.

Anybody else clean out and throw out completed rockets?
Old 03-27-2023, 08:08 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Nope.
I never buy kits I intend to lose or trash in any sort of great quantity.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-27-2023, 08:28 PM
7/21/61

Don,

Perhaps talk to a local section to see if they'd like some free rockets to hand out to kids to launch. I know a number of groups do fly-it/take-it to encourage newbies.

Steve
Old 03-27-2023, 10:58 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager
The other thread about "What Happens to your Rocketry Collection when you die?" reminded me of two years ago when I was cleaning in the garage and decide to cull (get rid of) a bunch of E2X rockets that I was not emotionally attached too. I needed the storage room and decided to just pitch them; ended up throwing out 30.

I may have to do some more culling this year since I am running out of storage room for completed rockets (I have about 366 flyable rockets right now). Over the years I have lost/pitched about 114.

I have thought of just putting the largest motor in possible and just letting them get lost but that is not very environmentally friendly.

Anybody else clean out and throw out completed rockets?

I've thrown out a few. Was thinking of sending some up on sketchy motors, I've got a stash of Estes E motors with high fail rate.
I'll wait until we get some rain though, very dry now.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'd be much more likely to launch "less than desirable" rockets on sketchy or huge motors than just scrapping them. If just balsa/cardboard they are eventually bio-degradable and I wouldn't give a rat's patoot where they land.

I had an old Estes Polaris with a 24mm mount that I used for a fire-n-forget mission on an old 24mm Aerotech E15. It disappeared WAYYYY high.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-28-2023, 06:52 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Don,

Perhaps talk to a local section to see if they'd like some free rockets to hand out to kids to launch. I know a number of groups do fly-it/take-it to encourage newbies.

Steve

That is a very good idea! The local Fairfax Rocket Society spring launch is coming up and I will bring a box with a "Free Rockets" sign on it.

I am simply out of room and need space for all my new builds. They seem to take up more space once built vs being in the bag....
Old 03-28-2023, 06:55 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'd be much more likely to launch "less than desirable" rockets on sketchy or huge motors than just scrapping them. If just balsa/cardboard they are eventually bio-degradable and I wouldn't give a rat's patoot where they land.

I had an old Estes Polaris with a 24mm mount that I used for a fire-n-forget mission on an old 24mm Aerotech E15. It disappeared WAYYYY high.

What is funny is every time I try to "lose" one (on purpose), it always lands close by. Always! The ones I do not want to lose, they go on and on and.......

I agree, balsa/cardboard I do not worry so much about. The E2X ones though have a ton of plastic which I do not want ending up in someone's tree.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager
What is funny is every time I try to "lose" one (on purpose), it always lands close by. Always! The ones I do not want to lose, they go on and on and.......

I have a friend who has tried to lose a modified Hi Flyer (smaller fins) by launching it on a C6-7 at my club launch now three times and got it back every time (so far). Maybe a D16....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-29-2023, 01:14 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I have a friend who has tried to lose a modified Hi Flyer (smaller fins) by launching it on a C6-7 at my club launch now three times and got it back every time (so far). Maybe a D16....

That scenario is alike with me and sunglasses and pens. I’m incapable of losing cheap sunglasses and cheap pens but RayBan sunglasses and Parker Jotter pens disappear like a poot in a hurricane. If I were to drop a $10 pair of Foster Grant sunglasses from a cruise ship at sea, two hours later there would be a knock at my cabin door. It would be a scuba diver holding my $10 sunglasses out to me and saying, “these your’s?”

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-29-2023, 07:44 AM
Lost his Drifter

I still have a handful of D21-7 motors left that I use for suborbital experiments. Had an Estes Rattler-7 come back after a wild ride on one of those D21s. Fun flying but I lost a bunch of rockets.
MTMA Section #606 President