Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2023, 09:47 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Will buy FOR SURE if 1/100.

Absolutely ZERO interest in a smaller 1/200 one.

I haven't bought any kits since the Skylab Saturn V and the Saturn 1B reissues. If they do a 1/100, I'll be in for that. If done right, the orbiter might could even be converted to an R/C flying/falling brick.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:16 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I haven't bought any kits since the Skylab Saturn V and the Saturn 1B reissues. If they do a 1/100, I'll be in for that. If done right, the orbiter might could even be converted to an R/C flying/falling brick.

I have one of the old North Coast 1/70th Space Shuttles I picked up on ebay years ago as a partially started kit (fortunately they'd not done anything really bad).
Anyway, although I considered flying it, by the time I finished it I'd ruled out any attempt at a flight. I was afraid to even do a 'trim test' glide of the orbiter for fear of extensive damage (I don't do RC - at least not yet - so that wasn't an option). So it became a permanent display rocket along side very nice examples of the Apogee Saturn V and 1B.
I'm afraid the same might be true of a 1/100.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
I have one of the old North Coast 1/70th Space Shuttles I picked up on ebay years ago as a partially started kit (fortunately they'd not done anything really bad).
Anyway, although I considered flying it, by the time I finished it I'd ruled out any attempt at a flight. I was afraid to even do a 'trim test' glide of the orbiter for fear of extensive damage (I don't do RC - at least not yet - so that wasn't an option). So it became a permanent display rocket along side very nice examples of the Apogee Saturn V and 1B.
I'm afraid the same might be true of a 1/100.

I haven't flown anything in a while. If I did do an RC conversion, I'd have to find myself something in the RC world with similar gliding brick characteristics to practice with first. Even then, it might be a situation where I built a detailed model to sit beside my Saturns and also a simplified and probably lighter (minus flight hardware) flying version.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:46 AM
Craftsman

Based on the photo enhanced versions of the advertisement that have been posted elsewhere, I’m putting my money on a 1/200 RTF. Not for me, but I guess Estes must do pretty good sales to keep releasing these things.