Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Canada Post does not permit shipment of rocket motors under ANY circumstances. In fact, Canada Post 'ground' shipment is not really by ground................it is just a lower class of service that has to wait until any other air shipments get on the plane first, then it gets on the plane. There is NO WAY that I would ever ship a model rocket engine out of Canada. It would have to be pick up only.

Joe
Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Recently?

Well, no, not recently. But when I was launching I did.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Canada Post does not permit shipment of rocket motors under ANY circumstances. In fact, Canada Post 'ground' shipment is not really by ground................it is just a lower class of service that has to wait until any other air shipments get on the plane first, then it gets on the plane. There is NO WAY that I would ever ship a model rocket engine out of Canada. It would have to be pick up only.

Joe

Absolutely true, since 1982, when the TDG Act (Transport of Dangerous Goods) came into effect. The only way to ship motors between canadian locations is by a courier company who will accept HAZMAT shipments. As for shipping to another country, that's an whole different matter. On top of that, in Canada, we're not allowed to use motors that are not on the ERD approved list. So, old motors are unusable here.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Master Modeler

So, I guess, from Canada(Toronto), IF you were to ship them to someone in the US..Go down to Buffalo and ship 'em there..Not that far of a drive
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon
So, I guess, from Canada(Toronto), IF you were to ship them to someone in the US..Go down to Buffalo and ship 'em there..Not that far of a drive

Are there restrictions on transporting model rocket engines across the border? I used to do it in the 1970s when attending modroc competitions and conventions in the USA, and thought nothing of it.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancantor
Are there restrictions on transporting model rocket engines across the border? I used to do it in the 1970s when attending modroc competitions and conventions in the USA, and thought nothing of it.

Alot has happened since 1970, like 911, so many restrictions now.
There are restriction within the continental USA.

Wholesalers and retailers have an "umbrella" coverage that has been issued from a model rocket/motor manufacturer. This includes a letter issued by the usps,, through the manufacturer. Certain placards must be on the package as well as signed documents that state the motors were sent in compliance with the letter issued by the isps.

And certainly, no motors can be shipped aboard a aircraft at all, ground shipment only under the guidelines of the usps.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM
rocket dinosaur

Wink

Scott:

thats some kind of confession in a public forum, whoa.....

TMPI Too Much Public Information...

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 10-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

In my opinion, it's a BAD IDEA for anyone to ship rocket motors without the proper paperwork in place. To do otherwise only invites further regulation of the hobby. Suppose some motors were detected in the mail stream (due to a terrorist scare, fire or whatever). The question would be raised "how did they get in there?!" Next thing you know there will be calls for Congress to "do something about this 'problem' " and we will find ourselves with new, more restrictive regulations in place. (Which would only serve to make motors even more expensive and / or difficult to obtain).

So, is it worth the risk of losing your (our) hobby to ship a few motors? Do what I've been doing with my old motors...use them in your rockets! (It's still okay to fly old motors at non NAR events...they can even be flown at NAR events if you join the program they have going on to test the viability of old motors). Besides...these motors were born to fly...not to sit around in a box!

Craig
Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Craig................

Amen to that!

Joe
Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah
With all these restrictions making it nearly impossible to get them to someone else, it pretty much tells you what they are worth

I don't think it is impossible, but clearly it is not a straightforward process. I am awaiting callbacks from several people now.

If it becomes too much of a bother, I will stipulate that the buyer pick them up... which means either that I will sell the engines locally, or that a lucky person is going to be visiting Toronto!