Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM
UF grad deep in enemy territory

Say Mr Sandman:

An 18mm kit arrive safe and sound. Thanks. And...

I have retrieved the 24mm version to, yes get this, START BUILDING!!!

BTW, what production number was my 18mm version?

John
Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoLaw
Say Mr Sandman:

An 18mm kit arrive safe and sound. Thanks. And...

I have retrieved the 24mm version to, yes get this, START BUILDING!!!

BTW, what production number was my 18mm version?

John

John,

Unfortunately by the time I get to the second run of kits I lose track of the production numbers so I don't put it on the kits.

It would be just a guess anyway. I basically make 20 kits all at once so number 21 and number 40 are about 10 minutes apart at completion.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
UF grad deep in enemy territory

OK. So I'm claiming No. 21 since I'm the first to speak up. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

John
Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoLaw
OK. So I'm claiming No. 21 since I'm the first to speak up. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

John

OK, then you got number 21.

Understand how kits are made.

I make up 20 boxes. I line them up.

I make 20 nose cones

I make 20 transitions

I cut 80 booster tubes

I cut 80 motor tubes.

etc, etc...

All of the finished parts are in boxes and I go down the line and put one nose cone in each box, then one transition in each box, etc, etc...

The boxes are lined up on the floor.

Do I number from right to left or left to right?

Number 21 is the box I want to be number 21!

Yours is number 21.

I have spoken!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I haven't heard back from a lot of you that have reserved kits.

I may be having email trouble or it could be something else.

I believe I was on 'the list' for one of the 18mm versions when you got them available..Will try to drop you an e-mail in a bit...
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM

Jon, I got your email.

Now let's see if you got my reply.

I sent notifications out but apparently nobody got them.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Roughing out plans for various NAR regional contests this spring/summer, I decided I'd have to build a decent sport scale model rather than continue to put my Roachwerks LJ-II and/or ASP Wac Corporal(s) through more contest stress. Pulled Gordon's Nike-Ajax and Nike-Hercules from Build Mountain (formerly referred to as the build pile). Ajax looked like a typically nice kit, but a little too simple/easy for a good competition model, so I went with the Herc.

Fantastic kit! I was a little shocked at the price ($140 for 4x24), but nose, transition and boattail are beautifully done. Laser cut fins are curved to fit the tapered surfaces and were darned near perfect. Really not that complex a build at all. Lots of wraps make finishing a breeze, unless you're anal retentive and want to go over the top like me. Since the kit comes with a CD with all the prints and templates on PDF, I am printing out various wraps and fin skins, will punch out recessed rivets, "weld" on a few hundred glue rivets (I've got a few special syringes for just such a task), apply a dusting of paint, and voila! Insanely crafted detail.

Just got a new/decent camera and will post a few build pics around the web (here, EMRR, etc.) next week or so.

This is probably going to stand out as my top Roachwerks kit, and that's really sayin' something.

--Chan Stevens
Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Roughing out plans for various NAR regional contests this spring/summer, I decided I'd have to build a decent sport scale model rather than continue to put my Roachwerks LJ-II and/or ASP Wac Corporal(s) through more contest stress. Pulled Gordon's Nike-Ajax and Nike-Hercules from Build Mountain (formerly referred to as the build pile). Ajax looked like a typically nice kit, but a little too simple/easy for a good competition model, so I went with the Herc.

Fantastic kit! I was a little shocked at the price ($140 for 4x24), but nose, transition and boattail are beautifully done. Laser cut fins are curved to fit the tapered surfaces and were darned near perfect. Really not that complex a build at all. Lots of wraps make finishing a breeze, unless you're anal retentive and want to go over the top like me. Since the kit comes with a CD with all the prints and templates on PDF, I am printing out various wraps and fin skins, will punch out recessed rivets, "weld" on a few hundred glue rivets (I've got a few special syringes for just such a task), apply a dusting of paint, and voila! Insanely crafted detail.

Just got a new/decent camera and will post a few build pics around the web (here, EMRR, etc.) next week or so.

This is probably going to stand out as my top Roachwerks kit, and that's really sayin' something.

--Chan Stevens

Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Old-Timer

Default Say Chan...

By the way, be sure to give us details on the 'riveting', as I was looking at my 4 X 18 kit thinking that's too many rivets to be 'dabbing' with a toothpick. I need some details...

Oh, was the source for the syringe Micro-Mark or someone else? Of course, being diabetic since age 7, I'm sure I have a few of them around...
N.A.R. #26298 L1
Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

I think the syring, and more importantly syringe tips, came from Lee Valley tools. Something like $5 for a set of 10 tips that get really tiny--hard on the fingers to even shoot the glue, so I dillute it a wee bit.

Most of the rivets are recessed, not raised, so I'm using Dremel & drill.

It helps quite a bit that Gordon came through in an ASAP/mayday rush to whip up a sustainer fin pattern for me with rivet detail--the version in the kit was for the scale fins, but his actual fins are skinnied down roughly 25% (semi-scale, not pure reduction) and so had no pattern included.

--Chan Stevens