Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Robert, I didn't know there were any releases. It has 5080 stamped into the top section. Does that help with ID'ing this?

terry dean
nar 16158

Hi Terry,

The original Sat V by Cox was a plastic kit that the builder had to put together. The stages were in halves and chopped... glue the halves together, then glue the stages together, then paint the model. This was late 1969/early 1970 release. Then in the 1971 time frame, the model came out as a solid one piece pre-painted ready to fly model. Then was re-released later in the early 1990s.

Thank you Initiator for the 90's release numbers ... I had no idea they were so few!

Terry, I would hang onto that model if I were you!

Robert

P.s. Initiator, what were the numbers for the Sat 1B, Space Shuttle America, and Honest John? I know the molds for the Nike Zeus and Little Joe II were supposedly destroyed in the Estes fire?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Hi Terry,

The original Sat V by Cox was a plastic kit that the builder had to put together. The stages were in halves and chopped... glue the halves together, then glue the stages together, then paint the model. This was late 1969/early 1970 release. Then in the 1971 time frame, the model came out as a solid one piece pre-painted ready to fly model. Then was re-released later in the early 1990s.

Thank you Initiator for the 90's release numbers ... I had no idea they were so few!

Robert

P.s. Initiator, what were the numbers for the Sat 1B, Space Shuttle America, and Honest John? I know the molds for the Nike Zeus and Little Joe II were supposedly destroyed in the Estes fire?

so is the 2st release early 70's model or the 90-91 version? This looks like it came in one piece

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead100
Does the cat get angry when installing the engine?......

Jim

Not as angry as he gets when the ejection charge fires.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Not as angry as he gets when the ejection charge fires.

AWWW Gawd! Explosive flatulance!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Hi Terry,

Robert

I bought a Cox Saturn V kit in the early 1970's and built it. Attached is a picture of the box for the kit.

I don't know the production numbers for the other Cox models. I was only told the production number for the Saturn V. Cox had quite a problem putting the Saturn V back into production. The original had been molded with ABS plastic but they couldn't get ABS to work with the mold in 1990 so they went with styrene plastic.

Cox made test shots of the Nike Zeus in 1988/89 but then Cox President/owner Bill Selzer decided not to release it (I ended up with the test shots ).

Estes never had the Little Joe II molds. The molds were lost/destroyed/worn out back in the 1970s.

I know that Estes made some Nike Zeus test shots back in the late 1990s but decided not to release the model. I do not know if these molds were lost in the fire.

I posted some interesting Cox stories over on The Rocketry Forum several years ago.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox SV kit.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  23.0 KB  
Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Master Modeler

[QUOTE=Initiator001]I bought a Cox Saturn V kit in the early 1970's and built it. Attached is a picture of the box for the kit.

I don't know the production numbers for the other Cox models. I was only told the production number for the Saturn V. Cox had quite a problem putting the Saturn V back into production. The original had been molded with ABS plastic but they couldn't get ABS to work with the mold in 1990 so they went with styrene plastic.

Cox made test shots of the Nike Zeus in 1988/89 but then Cox President/owner Bill Selzer decided not to release it (I ended up with the test shots ).

Estes never had the Little Joe II molds. The molds were lost/destroyed/worn out back in the 1970s.

I know that Estes made some Nike Zeus test shots back in the late 1990s but decided not to release the model. I do not know if these molds were lost in the fire.

I posted some interesting Cox stories over on The Rocketry Forum several years ago.

Bob[/QUO
TE]

Bob
I discussed this issue with Barry several times on bringing back the Cox RTF line, I was told that the molds are not available.

The fire was caused by a neighbor who decided to clear some brush on his property and it got out of hand. The flames headed towards Estes, and their motor storage building was destroyed.

I also understand that any molds in Penrose were not kept in good condition, so, many of the molds for the classics are certainly not available.

Also, from what I understand, Cox got out of the rocketry business because of major problems with their motor producing machines. They had a big sale , and the line was history.

RD

Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Junior Rocketeer

So, my brother had a Saturn IV displayed for years (more like decades). One day, he tells me to take it home. I do and display it. Then he tells me to bring it with me the next time we launch. I honestly didn't expect to launch it, but he sure wanted to. Did Estes make a Saturn IV replica? His has Estes 'chutes, as pictured. I always assumed that it was one of theirs.

Thats me with all the hair.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Also, from what I understand, Cox got out of the rocketry business because of major problems with their motor producing machines. They had a big sale , and the line was history.

RD

Cox exited the model rocket market after a deadly fire at their motor making facility which killed at least one employee.

The family of the employee who was killed sued Cox. It went to court and the verdict went against Cox. Interesting note: One of the jurors on the trial was Martin Bowitz, currently President of NAR Section 430, Southern California Rocket Association (SCRA). Martin will tell you the details if you ever meet him.

Bob
Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
One of the jurors on the trial was Martin Bowitz, currently President of NAR Section 430, Southern California Rocket Association (SCRA).
So that explains this URL (that Fred S sometimes posts): home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/safety.pdf

I always wondered who mebowitz was

Doug

Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
rocket dinosaur

Folks:

1st $60 gets this fine model. The $60 includes shipping and handling.

terry dean