Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Semroc Taurus "Refit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Speaking of which, I figured out how to fix the Semroc Taurus that was maimed by an Estes ejection charge back in the summer. I had to replace a tube and a transition, and change the seperation point,

Are you going to move that to the BR-58 reducer/transition where it connects to the "aft" ST-8 tube?

Quote:
but it should be back flying by the next Quark launch in two weeks.

--Jay
Old 10-10-2005, 11:17 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Are you going to move that to the BR-58 reducer/transition where it connects to the "aft" ST-8 tube?
--Jay

I don't know about that, but I'm going to make the bottom tube the parachute bay and have the bottom transition be the sep point. Sound right to you?
I was beginning to think you'd given up on us. What's been going on?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Jay's "Diversionary Pursuits"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

I don't know about that, but I'm going to make the bottom tube the parachute bay and have the bottom transition be the sep point. Sound right to you?

Yep, that's what I meant. All of the balsa shoulders kind of (over-the-top Canadian accent) "hose" the original parachute bay that the plastic reducers made possible. You may have to pile in some extra elastic shock cord, since the "nose" section will be heavier. Oddly enough, a bunch of my most recent designs have the cone/tube/reducer payload section. Go figure.

Quote:
I was beginning to think you'd given up on us. What's been going on?

(heavy sigh, drenched with extra melodrama) You know those people who just have too many stinkin' interests to focus on only one of them at a time? It turns out I've become one of those people. I went to that writing conference back in September, and dragged out a sci-fi story I started writing three and a half years ago. I'd been stuck on it, and finally saw what was wrong with it. (Then there's the looming spectre of my bass guitar, which has been coming back to haunt me regularly. I haven't pulled it down and retuned it yet.)

Then my wife has been going to the auction every Monday night, so I watch the girls and have to get them to bed. Wednesdays, we watch the little kids in the church nursery, so that wipes out another night. Last Friday, I took the day off of work and drove up to Sun Valley with my wife. Saturday, Emma usually has soccer games, and last Saturday, we had to go to a wedding. (Scott, we need a "tongue dragging" icon here.)

So I'm just "all over the place," apparently.

Aren't you tired from just reading that?

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 10-10-2005, 11:43 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Yep, that's what I meant. All of the balsa shoulders kind of (over-the-top Canadian accent) "hose" the original parachute bay that the plastic reducers made possible. You may have to pile in some extra elastic shock cord, since the "nose" section will be heavier. Oddly enough, a bunch of my most recent designs have the cone/tube/reducer payload section. Go figure.

I don't have original designs. I have errors that demand recovery.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=470

Quote:
(heavy sigh, drenched with extra melodrama) You know those people who just have too many stinkin' interests to focus on only one of them at a time? It turns out I've become one of those people. I went to that writing conference back in September, and dragged out a sci-fi story I started writing three and a half years ago. I'd been stuck on it, and finally saw what was wrong with it. (Then there's the looming spectre of my bass guitar, which has been coming back to haunt me regularly. I haven't pulled it down and retuned it yet.)

Then my wife has been going to the auction every Monday night, so I watch the girls and have to get them to bed. Wednesdays, we watch the little kids in the church nursery, so that wipes out another night. Last Friday, I took the day off of work and drove up to Sun Valley with my wife. Saturday, Emma usually has soccer games, and last Saturday, we had to go to a wedding. (Scott, we need a "tongue dragging" icon here.)

So I'm just "all over the place," apparently.

Aren't you tired from just reading that?

So, you ADMIT that you're seeing OTHER hobbies!

Uh, I've been watching baseball while building rockets, so I guess I can't talk. Last night I tried to combine painting the windows up by the ceiling with watching football. Won't be doing that again. I don't have a fear of heights, but I could develop one REALLY fast if I get orders to do that again. It only takes one slip, and I had 7/8's of one.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 10-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Nice launch report. Looks liek you had fun. Cool pic of the old Centuri super kit. Would love to find an old wreck on ebay and rebuild it (like the rest of my Centuri stuff).
Old 10-25-2005, 10:52 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Nice launch report. Looks liek you had fun. Cool pic of the old Centuri super kit. Would love to find an old wreck on ebay and rebuild it (like the rest of my Centuri stuff).

It's going to be both a blessing and a curse. I like having it, but it's going to be a PITA to restore it to flying condition.
The bright side is that it was $20 with postage and handling. I'm not out much if I can't fix it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-25-2005, 11:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

This past weekend I flew in my backyard:
1972 Enerjet Aero-Dart Clone (on an original Composite Dynamics Pro-Jet E20-7 and a RMS 24/40 F21-7 and an OLD Estes E15-6)
Centuri-Semroc Jaguar (C5-3 and C11-5)
Centuri-Semroc Scorpion (C11-3 and D12-5)
Semroc Recruiter (B4-4)
Aerobee-Hi (A8-5)
Estes K-41 Mercury Redstone (C6-5)
Estes SkyDart (B4-2)

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-25-2005, 11:51 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
1972 Enerjet Aero-Dart Clone (on an original Composite Dynamics Pro-Jet E20-7 and a RMS 24/40 F21-7 and an OLD Estes E15-6)
Centuri-Semroc Jaguar (C5-3 and C11-5)
Centuri-Semroc Scorpion (C11-3 and D12-5)
Semroc Recruiter (B4-4)
Aerobee-Hi (A8-5)
Estes K-41 Mercury Redstone (C6-5)
Estes SkyDart (B4-2)

COOL! I want a backyard like yours. Wanna trade for one with a pool?
Any pics? Flight details? The Aero-Dart clone sounds interesting, as do the Merc Redstone and Sky Dart.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-26-2005, 11:24 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
1972 Enerjet Aero-Dart Clone (on an original Composite Dynamics Pro-Jet E20-7...

How did that work? I'm sitting here looking at an E20-10 and an F45-8 (I've got three more somewhere) and I'd love to fly one sometime, but I just assumed the delays probably wouldn't work or the propellant has oxidized to the point of uselessness.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The E20 Pro-Jet worked fine....Lot # was 816 (1981 mfg.); delay and ejection nominal.
I have several of these and fire one off every 2-3yrs or so....never had a problem.
I have heard that this may/may not be the case with the old early 1970's Enerjet composites.
I actually ignited the Pro-Jet the same way I always used to...with a solar igniter shoved all the way up the core with very short 1/4" of leads out the nozzle.
I think the propellant must be similar to "Blue Thunder"; easy to ignite, does not oxidize over time, burns with virtually zero smoke.

I no longer have any of the F45's....would you want to part with one...if so PM me ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !