Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
7/21/61

Barry,

Thanks again for taking the time to answer questions. I found it very informative and I hope you'll do it again sometime.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
His company distributes perceived-as- potentially dangerous products to retail outlets that are probably really cautious about such.

Yes, yes, you and I and probably even Barry know that when used as directed by people with common sense model rockets are less dangerous than most of the things in the sporting goods sections, and have caused fewer injuries than baby strollers and EZ-Bake Ovens.

But when you come right down to it model rockets are pretty daring items for today's retail environment. Successfully keeping them in an environment like Wal-Mart or Target is a balancing act. You have to give Estes credit for managing to do it.

That said, the caution over certain motor choices is puzzling. I can understand why there'd be a hesitation to introduce bigger motors, but a D20 doesn't strike me as a particularly daring or risky product.

I think he may have been talking about safety from a manufacturing perspective, whether it is post-processing, or maybe automated pressing around a long pintle, or pressing in a basically full casing.

Then again, maybe he was talking about potential misuse (via naïveté) by customers.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
HAHAHAHAHAHA YES, saw that and laughed! Even Barry Tunick knows about him and his history.

Bob

I didn't really intend to be mean spirited by highlighting this. I'm not here to kick Jerry.
Sorry that you grabbed the opportunity.

LenB
Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Well, I've read through all questions and answers and enjoyed the read. Thanks Mr. Tunick for taking the time to respond.

Oh, and should you have an apartment in Bavaria let me know. Would enjoy a chat together with some weisswurschte and real beer

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Maybe someone could elaborate on why some of these guys have an attitude toward Estes/Barry Tunick!?!

Most of the stuff he said they won't do involves high cost or more dangerous engines. There are plenty of new companies that deal with that. Estes has always, to my knowledge, leaned towards the younger/safer stuff. I don't see it as something to get pissy over...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Then again, maybe he was talking about potential misuse (via naïveté) by customers.

They're pretty good at misusing what's available now:

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2812/31/
Old 04-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Craftsman

The attitudes towards Barry have come from years of neglect towards the relationship. Barry has given a HUGE olive branch though at this point, which is great. Better than anything we've seen before in the hobby.

I'm curious though why the state of Colorado shut down the tours of Estes. Couldn't they open a "front area" again where people could come in, see the kits, talk to Christine ( ), and see a bit of history from older kits in display cases? I could see them not permitting tours of the motor machines, but couldn't there be a "front-end" tour? Especially if there was a partnership with Vern and Gleda!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Pretending to be Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
The attitudes towards Barry have come from years of neglect towards the relationship. Barry has given a HUGE olive branch though at this point, which is great. Better than anything we've seen before in the hobby.

I'm curious though why the state of Colorado shut down the tours of Estes. Couldn't they open a "front area" again where people could come in, see the kits, talk to Christine ( ), and see a bit of history from older kits in display cases? I could see them not permitting tours of the motor machines, but couldn't there be a "front-end" tour? Especially if there was a partnership with Vern and Gleda!!!

I wondered that too. It could be that CO modified liability rules such that insurance for such an endeavor is now cost prohibitive. Ohio did something similar to doctors twenty years ago and our legislators said that all the doom and gloom people were wrong. Now there are zero OBGYN's or other 'high risk' practices in poor rural counties like ours. Any prenatal care is an hours drive away and out of reach for many low income folk. Better living through bureaucracy.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Pretending to be Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Well, I've read through all questions and answers and enjoyed the read. Thanks Mr. Tunick for taking the time to respond.

Oh, and should you have an apartment in Bavaria let me know. Would enjoy a chat together with some weisswurschte and real beer

My wife LOVES weisswurshte (me too) but due to new food preparation codes here, it is almost impossible to get. I don't know about Barry, but the next time we're in Germany (it's been too long), we just might take you up on that.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
DAllen writes:

What is Estes' mission statement? This is proprietary.

I am a little surprised that this is proprietary. I was just trying to see what direction Estes is going. Then again I guess this displays my utter lack of knowledge of big business practices.

Sorry that I broke the rules.

-DAllen
Closed Thread