Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Made In America was one of the first thing the kids got rid of when Sam died. A friend that once worked near the California ship docks said 9 of any 10 ships there from China carried stuff for Wal-Mart now.

As for their "tracking and distribution", wasn't it touted as the great model for all other companies to follow just a few years ago?!?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
yea, whatever happened to *that* campaign? I remember the inspiring TV commercials. I think one was about a manufacture of tricycles?

I remeber going to a Walmart to buy one of those kerosine lamps. Had a sticker on the lamp that said "Made in America". I peeled it off and there was another one under it that said "Made in China".
Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Yeah, that kind of stuff was what ended the campaign.

I heard of other foreign (Korean I think) companies receiving boxes of "Made In America" labels to put on clothes.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Master Modeler

walMart needs to take a physical inventory at least twice a year, in a CNBC report on WM, they bost about their multi-million dollar inventory computer system. They need to scrap that. If you go into any WM, you can see for yourself, many holes on the shelves where product should be, and, many times they "dummy block" the space with other items just to fill in the space. Also, many of the shelf tags do not match the product above.

The problem with WM, is, that they DON'T want to be told they are failing their loyal customers. If you go to a manager, they resent that, and, it gets back to Bentonville , and they really resent that there, believe me on this one.

The management in a local WM tried to tell me that mini motors were used in the rockets on the shelves, which happen to be starter sets requiring regular motors.

If they don't know the product, how can they have any idea what they need (in stock) to suppport the small amount product (rockets) that they do have.

Remember, the Sustainables are an EXCLUSIVE to WalMart, they should be jumping for joy that there are many customers looking for these kits, apparently they don't care.

Motors are another big issue, and , apparently they don't have any idea that you need motors to make the rockets work.......Duh !!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I am not upset they do not understand the product.

I am a bit surprised that with razors and blades, air fresheners and refills, rockets and motors, they do not have an effective association system and a way to keep at least one or two instances of the associated products on the shelves at all times.

Their distribution model rocks, but more to the point is harsh, by grinding down suppliers on prices and terms, and by eliminating the distributor layer and selling "direct to the consumer", even though they buy below typical distributor price and sell a bit below full retail.

Jerry
Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
walMart needs to take a physical inventory at least twice a year, in a CNBC report on WM, they bost about their multi-million dollar inventory computer system. They need to scrap that. If you go into any WM, you can see for yourself, many holes on the shelves where product should be, and, many times they "dummy block" the space with other items just to fill in the space. Also, many of the shelf tags do not match the product above.

The problem with WM, is, that they DON'T want to be told they are failing their loyal customers. If you go to a manager, they resent that, and, it gets back to Bentonville , and they really resent that there, believe me on this one.

The management in a local WM tried to tell me that mini motors were used in the rockets on the shelves, which happen to be starter sets requiring regular motors.

If they don't know the product, how can they have any idea what they need (in stock) to suppport the small amount product (rockets) that they do have.

Remember, the Sustainables are an EXCLUSIVE to WalMart, they should be jumping for joy that there are many customers looking for these kits, apparently they don't care.

Motors are another big issue, and , apparently they don't have any idea that you need motors to make the rockets work.......Duh !!

http://members.lycos.nl/sheriam/sounds/pakled.wav
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
Last week I went to my local WM Poulsbo,Washington State I talked directly with the toy Deptment manger . I had in hand the print out Photos of the new Kits all ten. I asked the manager if she knew when these kits would be available . she said we just reset the shelves this is what we have for sale at this time. No Motors I indicated that I am in this store every two weeks you have only had estes motors for sale twice since November 2008 the other time was January 2009. She gave the the Pig looking at the watch look. and the standard WM answer I check on that. So today I called the Sequim ,Wa. WM no new kits no motors & no Idea what I was talking about- new Estes kits ! ? Also called Pouslbo,WA. WM- comment by toy manager was well if we had any they must have sold out really fast which tell me the manager dosen't have clue what she has. Same deal no new kits. Motors -last friday a few C6-3 & 5 I would buy two of each if I could find a WM that had any locally. anyway I'll give it a little more time.
Maybe I'll ge lucky new kits and motors in the same store

John

One of the Houston Wal-Marts I visited yesterday had 4 of each of the 4 Sustainables kits, 2 or 3 each of the Hi-Jinks and the Rascal RTF rockets, 3 of the 64 combinations kit, 4 of the Moon Mutt, at least one other launch (or starter) set I don't remember the name of, and motors. The motors were mostly C6-7's, plus some C6-5's and C6-3's, as well as a few A8-3's and at least one pack of A10-3T's. There were no shelf tags for any of the Sustainables, and there were two shelf tags for the motors, one at $4.97 and one at $3.00.

The other Houston Wal-Mart I visited yesterday had 3 of the Ricochet kits, 1 or 2 Hi-Jinks and Rascal RTF rockets, 1 of the 64 combinations kit, 2 of the Moon Mutt, and a few motor packs (maybe 6 or 8 packs in all). I didn't examine the shelf tags at this store like I did at the other one, but when I went to scan the bar code on the Ricochet kit, the scanner told me to see an associate. Since I wasn't planning to buy anything, I didn't bother to see an associate.

If ordering and/or inventory control aren't done at the store level, why did these two Wal-Marts, 11 miles apart, have such different inventory on these brand-new products?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
One of the Houston Wal-Marts I visited yesterday had 4 of each of the 4 Sustainables kits, 2 or 3 each of the Hi-Jinks and the Rascal RTF rockets, 3 of the 64 combinations kit, 4 of the Moon Mutt, at least one other launch (or starter) set I don't remember the name of, and motors. The motors were mostly C6-7's, plus some C6-5's and C6-3's, as well as a few A8-3's and at least one pack of A10-3T's. There were no shelf tags for any of the Sustainables, and there were two shelf tags for the motors, one at $4.97 and one at $3.00.

The other Houston Wal-Mart I visited yesterday had 3 of the Ricochet kits, 1 or 2 Hi-Jinks and Rascal RTF rockets, 1 of the 64 combinations kit, 2 of the Moon Mutt, and a few motor packs (maybe 6 or 8 packs in all). I didn't examine the shelf tags at this store like I did at the other one, but when I went to scan the bar code on the Ricochet kit, the scanner told me to see an associate. Since I wasn't planning to buy anything, I didn't bother to see an associate.

If ordering and/or inventory control aren't done at the store level, why did these two Wal-Marts, 11 miles apart, have such different inventory on these brand-new products?

Store size.

Toy Dept layout and floor space.

It all depends on store sales volume, toy dept shelf space and layout.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor

Most people only work there for the paycheck and don't care anymore than that. It's a retail chain that pays low wages and offers crappy benefits if any... why should the employees care?

You're asking too much from the WM employees.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Launching since 1970.

This entire issue can be handled via a Twitter page with everyone who cares Tweeting in from across the USA. If the folks in Bentonville care, they will pay attention.

I thoroughly enjoyed Howard Stern's exploration of Twitter and his creation of a past-tense word for Tweet.