Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

I don't have many...

Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
The spin tabs on the rudders don't really make it spin. It's more like giant barrel rolls.

The R/C "2X" SpacE Plane i made, for C6 boosts, flies too fast for me to control the boost. What I did was to hold the ailerons (mixed elevons) hard over to make it roll a lot, to even things out. What I would suggest for the original model is to delete the spin tabs (GASP!), and arrange the elevons so that one is "up" by say 1/8" and one is "down" by 1/8", to make it roll. The key is to get equal up and and down angles. So, one up 3/16 and one down 3/16 also should be good, maybe better since it would roll faster. Maybe even 1/4" up and down. It will take a bit of tweaking of the mechanics to get the elevons to be that way for boost, but it is not really a big problem

BTW - bad news. At a launch last week I was doing a "routine" flight of the 2X SpacePlane. rolled fine on boost, as usual. I go to transition it for glide, and nothing, it just keeps rolling, al l the way into the ground. I suspect that the battery connector lost contact at liftoff. But the R/C gear was working after it crashed, so the lost contact was intermittent (so, it did not get unplugged). The model is repairable. The biggest issue right now is one servo arm broke, and I do not recall what servos are inside there (permanently glued), so that I can identify exactly what brand and size of output arm needs to be replaced.

- George Gassaway
Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
The R/C "2X" SpacE Plane i made, for C6 boosts, flies too fast for me to control the boost. What I did was to hold the ailerons (mixed elevons) hard over to make it roll a lot, to even things out. What I would suggest for the original model is to delete the spin tabs (GASP!), and arrange the elevons so that one is "up" by say 1/8" and one is "down" by 1/8", to make it roll. The key is to get equal up and and down angles. So, one up 3/16 and one down 3/16 also should be good, maybe better since it would roll faster. Maybe even 1/4" up and down. It will take a bit of tweaking of the mechanics to get the elevons to be that way for boost, but it is not really a big problem

BTW - bad news. At a launch last week I was doing a "routine" flight of the 2X SpacePlane. rolled fine on boost, as usual. I go to transition it for glide, and nothing, it just keeps rolling, al l the way into the ground. I suspect that the battery connector lost contact at liftoff. But the R/C gear was working after it crashed, so the lost contact was intermittent (so, it did not get unplugged). The model is repairable. The biggest issue right now is one servo arm broke, and I do not recall what servos are inside there (permanently glued), so that I can identify exactly what brand and size of output arm needs to be replaced.

- George Gassaway

George,
Did you ever try the new Quest Cs in it? They are nice and gentle like a C3 or 4. My BT-80 Mach 10 flys very nicely on them.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I don't have many...

Have you flown the Centuri 5066 Shuttle yet tbzep?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Have you flown the Centuri 5066 Shuttle yet tbzep?

No. It's pretty heavy. I think it will remain a hanger queen and I'll build another as light as possible to fly.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Master Modeler

[QUOTE=tbzep]I don't have many...

But you have plenty!!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
George,
Did you ever try the new Quest Cs in it? They are nice and gentle like a C3 or 4. My BT-80 Mach 10 flys very nicely on them.

Not yet. I actually want to save those for testing out in a contest sized C Rocket Glider. The contest model boost is ALWAYS scary-hot and fast, so those C3/C4's should make it a lot more reasonable. And also should boost somewhat higher too, since a relatively draggy model is more efficient on a lower thrust engine (long as it keeps pointing up). That Quest engine would have to be a "C2" for me to be able to boost the 2X by piloting rather than rolling it on boost (the 4X Space Plane is a pussycat when boosting on a G12. But if I boosted it on a G40, and the wings did not rip off as they 100% for sure would, it would be a nightmare to boost it by R/C).

- George
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Forest Sprite

I haven't built either one of my kits of them yet, but I really like how these two look.

I'm also really interested in the design in the attachment, too. I could mention a whole bunch of other RBG designs that I like, but Scott has only so much server space.

MarkII
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  68 rdc feather.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  35.6 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
BAR

I completed the Semroc Nighthawk xkit this winter, haven't flown it yet. The Skydart is recently restored from a vintage model of my brothers, and flown for the 1st time ever a few weeks ago - it had a dangerous looping flight, pulling up just a few feet above the ground - no damage, but needs some work on the elevator to get a straight boost. I probably fly the red baron the most, it is just so easy to prep, and always puts in decent flights. The scissor wing and Semroc X-21 have flown quite a few times, and both glide quite well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  RedBaron.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  65.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3806-vga.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  52.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SemrocX-21.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  84.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Nighthawk02-vga.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  50.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SkyDart01-LoRes.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  60.2 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Master Modeler

I almost forgot the Cardstock downscale Orbital Transporter and the Micro-Maxx Falcon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  OT_2.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  70.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Micro_Falcon_2.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  17.2 KB