Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 AM
advanced rocketeer

Default summer releases

How can semroc have seven new summer releases and most likley more before estes can release there classic line ? Are all vendors working in the same business ? Am i the only one discusted by the delays ? Why semroc can and estes can NOT, why ?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley16
How can semroc have seven new summer releases and most likley more before estes can release there classic line ? Are all vendors working in the same business ? Am i the only one discusted by the delays ? Why semroc can and estes can NOT, why ?

No. All vendors ar *NOT* working in the same business. Estes is a mass-merchandiser manufacturer of toys and hobby items. SEMROC is a family business that makes niche/specialty items in small batches.

Estes explained this in the Estes related forums below.

Economy.

Goverment testing of toy/children's products for lead and 'evil' plastics (which Estes must do and SEMROC is not doing).

Estes makes hundreds of thousands of an item. SEMROC makes much smaller runs. SEMROC made a comment on their run size compared to the Estes run size at some point in the past.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
advanced rocketeer

So both semroc and estes working in the same crap economy. But semroc is not doing or compling with the same government regulations, strange. How does semroc get away with that ? Both companies make rockets weather it be 100s or 1000s .
Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
So both semroc and estes working in the same crap economy. But semroc is not doing or compling with the same government regulations, strange. How does semroc get away with that ? Both companies make rockets weather it be 100s or 1000s .

I never said that SEMROC is not complying with government regulations.

I said they are not testing their products. Read my original words again very carefully. If SEMROC does not market their rockets to children then the children's product testing regulations do not apply. Allegedly.

Some of the newest Estes products simply have a sticker on them saying they contain lead with a caution/warning. This is obvious for items with soldered wires, but the same sticker appears on some bagged kits. Must be minute trace amounts in the testing of some components (plastic? screw eyes? ink in instruction sheets?)

For full answers to your legal questions, you will need to submit your questions to the companies you want answers from. Submitting the questions here on a public forum of hobbyists will yield responses "made up" by us. We can only provide pseudo answers based on what we have read from those company spokespeople, or what we THINK we read, or we simply make crap up.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:

It's a difference in marketing. Estes markets their products to children so they are classified as toys and subject to much more regulation. That's bad for them because it increases their costs. But, it's good for them because they have a larger market and can sell more.

And, Wal-Mart might require Estes to meet or exceed government regulations that they might not have to follow otherwise. I don't know if this is the case, but Wal-Mart has done this with other suppliers. Also, small businesses are often exempt from regulations that larger ones have to follow. (I don't know if Estes qualifies as a small business or not, but I suspect Semroc does.)

There are other reasons for Estes having a longer lead time. They produce their products in larger quanities. So, they have to do more testing and other stuff up front to ensure they don't mass produce something that is wrong. Also, they use more parts that require special molds or techniques to produce. Those molds and techniques have to be produced, refined, and tested before the parts can be made.

-- Roger
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:

Estes is using slave labor out of China and waiting for containers of kits to arrive.

Carl at SEMROC has his wife Sheryl, son Bruce and Bruce's fiance chained to a table in the basement in North Carolina making kits.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Estes is using slave labor out of China and waiting for containers of kits to arrive.

Carl at SEMROC has his wife Sheryl, son Bruce and Bruce's fiance chained to a table in the basement in North Carolina making kits.

I suspect Sheryl's the one holding the whip...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Forest Sprite

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but much of Estes' production is done overseas in places where, obviously, OSHA, EPA, CPSC, et. al. have no jurisdiction and therefore no ability to require accountability during the actual manufacture of the products. That is the responsibility of the country of origin, which in the case of Estes' products, is a country that is notoriously lax in enforcing product safety standards, worker safety standards, environmental protection standards and corporate accountability. Semroc, like nearly all other model rocketry producers that sell in the US and Canada, produces all of its products domestically. In both the US and Canada, there is more accountability earlier along in the production process and better enforcement of existing laws, which helps to prevent delays and bottlenecks later on.

The significance of the fact that Estes sources a great deal of its production in a country that was the source of products that caused several product safety scandals in recent years, which then in turn prompted the very law and resulting regulation that everyone is complaining about, should not be overlooked. None of Estes/Cox's products have ever been implicated in any such scandals, but given the track record of the country where most of their products originate, the current level of scrutiny that their products are required to submit to should really not surprise anyone. It is really unfortunate, but the fallout from those recent scandals continues to impact everyone, including those companies that have always been in compliance with all applicable regulations.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Some of the newest Estes products simply have a sticker on them saying they contain lead with a caution/warning. This is obvious for items with soldered wires, but the same sticker appears on some bagged kits. Must be minute trace amounts in the testing of some components (plastic? screw eyes? ink in instruction sheets?)

From what I have read in the past here and on TRF, the parachutes are likely the main problem here. That is why the chutes in all the new kits are plain white plastic - the ink that they used to print that pretty orange pattern and/or the black logo and writing took them right up to the edge of the legal limit. Probably OK, but the powers that be at Estes decided they couldn't take the chance that a particular print run might bump over the limit. I would imagine that they put the stickers on the remaining stock of older kits with printed parachutes so they didn't have to open and repackage every one of those older kits.

Just an educated guess on my part - it could be other component(s) as well.

Greg
Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

I think Estes makes money, and Semroc is in it for the fun while at least holding out hope that they'll make money sometime. Semroc will release a kit because their customers want it and they think it's a neat idea, whereas Estes will only make it if it can get added to the stock program at Wal-Mart.

Two completely different markets and approaches to business. You might as well compare Tesla to GM.