Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM
New Guy

Talking Astron Sprite questions....

Not sure if this is the correct area to ask this so mods please feel free move OR terminate...

Anyway, I am trying to offer a new parts pack for the Sprite. It's one of the few models I never built when I was a wee lad so I have some questions.

1.) What was the preferred motor and what was the diameter of that motor?

((The reason for the first question is that I am trying to decide whether or not to produce a model that will duplicate the exact version of it or should I leave out the gas vent, weight the nose, provide a streamer and motor mount and provide a flyable option? Which brings us to question number 2...))

2.) I have resurected the Sprite on RocSim8 as best I can and looks like I can convert it ot 13mm and with about .25oz in the nose, it should be a stable flyer that could recover via streamer. Anyone else done something similar?

I want to provide the best possible product I can. Unlike other OOP models, the Sprite is not the most straight forward kit to provide an avenue for a modeler who wants to re-produce her...mostly from the powerplant perspective.

Any addtional feedback would be most welcome!

Thanks,
John

Thrustline Aerospace Website
Old 12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Master Modeler

I still have my 1967 original Sprite.

It was made to fly on 18mm 'S' motors. They were 1.75" long and came in 1/4A, 1/2A, and A impulse only.

In order to fly mine now, I use an adapter cut from a used 18mm motor and put a 13mm motor inside. I think it's kind of cool the way it tumbles down but I don't know if the average person is going to want to make adapters to fly it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have an original Astron Sprite that I have flown with a 13mm adapter using 1/4a3's for flying.

I have also made my own "S-series" short engines by cutting an inch off the engine casing of 1/2A6-2's, but this is not exactly NAR safety-code legal
Whether or NOT this SHOULD be cosidered a safety code violation is a whole other topic.
I think it is silly that removing the plug from A10-PT's to "create" A10-0T's is a violation of the safety code.

If it was me, and I was to make this a kit, I would go with a 13mm mount and leave out the gas vent; make it streamer or 8" chute recovery instead of tumble.
I think tumble recovery, in a word, STINKS !
It is good for getting a VERY beat up looking rocket, very fast !

Tumble recovery should be used for one thing and one thing ONLY; recovery of light boosters on BP powered 2+ stage models. Even that can be iffy....such as with the booster for the Astron Omega, which is quite heavy for a booster.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-16-2005, 02:08 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
If it was me, and I was to make this a kit, I would go with a 13mm mount and leave out the gas vent; make it streamer or 8" chute recovery instead of tumble.
I think tumble recovery, in a word, STINKS !
It is good for getting a VERY beat up looking rocket, very fast !

I agree. Just because it WAS done that way is no reason to keep it that way. I've got a Sprite ready for paint that's streamer recovered AND still has the vent hole. I just done trust the Estes ejection charges of late, as I may have mentioned previously. Unless you're talking Mosquitos, tumble recovery blows.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 12-16-2005, 04:03 PM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I still have my 1967 original Sprite.

It was made to fly on 18mm 'S' motors. They were 1.75" long and came in 1/4A, 1/2A, and A impulse only.

In order to fly mine now, I use an adapter cut from a used 18mm motor and put a 13mm motor inside. I think it's kind of cool the way it tumbles down but I don't know if the average person is going to want to make adapters to fly it.

Good point. Perhaps the way to offer it is giving the 13mm mmt an optional install.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:05 PM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I agree. Just because it WAS done that way is no reason to keep it that way. I've got a Sprite ready for paint that's streamer recovered AND still has the vent hole. I just done trust the Estes ejection charges of late, as I may have mentioned previously. Unless you're talking Mosquitos, tumble recovery blows.

Bill...did you have to add any nose weight? (BTW, I shipped your stuff yesterday)

Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
..........I think tumble recovery, in a word, STINKS !
It is good for getting a VERY beat up looking rocket, very fast !........

LOL My Sprite was the first rocket I ever built and with the finishing skills I had back then, it looked VERY beat up before I ever launched it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Sprite_1.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  53.2 KB  
Old 12-16-2005, 06:41 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

SHEESH !!!
Yechhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

I'm not sure I'd own up to one that ugly....

I think I'd at least refinish it to a PRESENTABLE state !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
SHEESH !!!
Yechhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

I'm not sure I'd own up to one that ugly....

I think I'd at least refinish it to a PRESENTABLE state !

Oh, I don't think I will. If I refinished it, it would probably get lost on the next launch. Ugly rockets always seem to come back.

It serves a purpose just like it is. No matter how badly I screw up the finish on a new model, I can always say " At least it isn't as bad that Sprite"
Old 12-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
LOL My Sprite was the first rocket I ever built and with the finishing skills I had back then, it looked VERY beat up before I ever launched it.
Nice Mars Outllander there Is the stager in the background the Delta (Camroc lifter)?
Doug