Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I notice you went with a longer payload section on your CDD. What's the length on that section? I'd like to punch all of those numbers in to RS before writing up the PDF instructions.

Craig

I don't recall off the top of my head. It's the video payload bay, but that's not coming along as quickly as I had hoped. For the first flights it will go without the payload. I'll measure the length this weekend for you. When the payload bay is completed I'll weigh it for RS simulations.

Quote:
Sincy THOY is OOP and OOB, what is the status on your Thuria design? Could it perhaps be a good candidate for BARCLONE now? Or, perhaps, since it was intended to be a commercial production kit, maybe a set of plans could be sent to Scott?

Well, here's the rub on that. THOY (Rich Rau) sold out to Rocket R&D. They didn't want the 18mm (my) designs, so they sold all of the parts and plans to someone I can't find anymore. I can't even find the info I had on his name and phone number. I talked to him once on the phone and asked what his plans were with my (his) plans. He said he originally had thought of selling them, but;
1) The parts he bought were not enough to make complete kits
2) He was not allowed to use the name "THOY". Since "THOY" was all over the plans he had he'd have to re-write them and he didn't get the electronic copies.

So... he was just going ot use the parts for building scratch kits. At the time I just wanted to publish them on my site and he said go for it sincet he was never going to try and sell them. I should have asked for something in writing, but didn't. There's a few of them I'd like to produce in limited numbers. Not sure that's a good idea now, though I sure I'm safe publishing the plans. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this problem before. I think the consensus was "I'm screwed".
Old 07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw
What's the length on that section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I don't recall off the top of my head. It's the video payload bay, but that's not coming along as quickly as I had hoped. For the first flights it will go without the payload. I'll measure the length this weekend for you. When the payload bay is completed I'll weigh it for RS simulations.

One note to keep in mind -- RockSim says without a payload section at least ~4" long, you'll need to add nose weight. I fiddled around with the lengths to see what the minimum required length was to keep it user-friendly, and this was what I came up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw
Sincy THOY is OOP and OOB, what is the status on your Thuria design?

Quote:
Well, here's the rub on that. THOY (Rich Rau) sold out to Rocket R&D. They didn't want the 18mm (my) designs, so they sold all of the parts and plans to someone I can't find anymore. I can't even find the info I had on his name and phone number. I talked to him once on the phone and asked what his plans were with my (his) plans. He said he originally had thought of selling them, but... he was just going ot use the parts for building scratch kits. At the time I just wanted to publish them on my site and he said go for it since he was never going to try and sell them. I should have asked for something in writing, but didn't. There's a few of them I'd like to produce in limited numbers. Not sure that's a good idea now, though I sure I'm safe publishing the plans. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this problem before. I think the consensus was "I'm screwed".

Would the RR&D folks know who that might have been? Might someone associated with them still have a contact name and number?

I think posting them to YORP or BARCLONE, with a full description like you gave above of the circumstances, will do one of two things:

1. Absolutely nothing.
2. Bring your 'contact' out of the woodwork and allow you to move forward.

Either way, these plans need to get posted. Either way, you need to keep designing and posting new stuff, even if you don't plan to actually market it. I think everyone reading this thread might like to build that one; I know I would!

Craig...
Old 07-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
One note to keep in mind -- RockSim says without a payload section at least ~4" long, you'll need to add nose weight. I fiddled around with the lengths to see what the minimum required length was to keep it user-friendly, and this was what I came up with.

It's at least 4". I'll fly it with the payload bay empty on the test flights or maybe add ballast.

Quote:
Would the RR&D folks know who that might have been? Might someone associated with them still have a contact name and number?

I haven't been able to contact anyone from R R&D.

Quote:
I think posting them to YORP or BARCLONE, with a full description like you gave above of the circumstances, will do one of two things:

1. Absolutely nothing.
2. Bring your 'contact' out of the woodwork and allow you to move forward.

I think you're right and my guess is number 1 will happen.

Quote:
Either way, these plans need to get posted. Either way, you need to keep designing and posting new stuff, even if you don't plan to actually market it. I think everyone reading this thread might like to build that one; I know I would!

Craig...

Thanks Craig. There were seven kits total and I had about eight other designs in the sketch stage. I still have the original drawings here at work in, get this... Claris Draw format and just figured out a way to at least get them converted to tifs. I'll poke away at these and try to get a few to you soon. The rear engine boost glider and Tavia will take a little longer I think.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation Announcement of an announcement...

For everyone, speaking of the Double-D, I just made a post in the "Cherokee Double-D" thread which should interest everyone building this design. Phred at Excelsior Rocketry is producing the decal sheet for the CDD. Price about $6.

Craig...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Administrator

I finally got some more models decaled. The Big Daddy and der Red Max are done. I still have a few left on the Mini Vindicator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  mini_vind01.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  99.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mini_vind02.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  78.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mini_vind03.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  80.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mini_vind04.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  62.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  big_daddy.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  40.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  redmax.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  48.2 KB  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Finally getting some stuff painted and decaled. *sheesh*
L-R (back) Semroc SLS Javelin, Jaguar, Astron Cobra clone, two Maxi Screamers, Qmodeling Mars Snooper II.
(front) Barclone Mini Loader, Maxi Mosquito
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PA101391.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  185.0 KB  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Stuf that's getting real close.
L-R Scale Kits Apex, QModeling Stiletto, Rokitflite USS Odyssey, Semroc Hustler, SLS Laser X
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PA101392.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  178.7 KB  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

More stuff that's close.

L-R (back) TLP Perseus II, Roachworks Sprint upscale, Orion clone, Defender clone, PDR X-30 Demon.
(front) Semroc Firefly, Black Widow, Sprite, PDR Starlight, Quest Nike Smoke, Quasar clone, Skybolt.

Not pictured - SLS Stiletto, Semroc Thunder Bee, and Aerobee Hi in the pole barn being painted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PA101393.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  164.9 KB  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Stuf that's getting real close.
L-R Scale Kits Apex, QModeling Stiletto, Rokitflite USS Odyssey, Semroc Hustler, SLS Laser X

Hmmm....What's that on the back shelf on the right side that still needs paint? Hmmm....I wonder?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Hmmm....What's that on the back shelf on the right side that still needs paint? Hmmm....I wonder?

*LOL*... oh yea! I still need to put the conduits on.

BTW - I finally found the original banner psd file Scott so I can make those other banners for you!