Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2006, 05:06 PM
slave to the wind

Okay, coupon says 1 per customer per day.

I went to michaels and said that I left my coupon at home and they let me still buy it.

I have the StormCaster! Tomorrow or Friday I will also buy a pack of those standard engines.

The Stormcaster seems to only take the D's. Is there a Mod for E's? Nevermind, just read the instructions and it looks like I adjust the depth, assuming E engines are just longer.

Last edited by bikegod : 03-08-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:28 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegod
... it looks like I adjust the depth, assuming E engines are just longer.

The E motors are 1" longer than standard D motors.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
slave to the wind

will I need to change the engine hook? Not to mention the engine block retainer ring?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
will I need to change the engine hook? Not to mention the engine block retainer ring?

You could, or you could leave the hook out completely. If the motor tube is 5" long, I'd put a single CR-2050 ring at one end, then use a spacer (a length of coupler tubing cut to fit) to fill the gap when you use short motors, like the D.

By not putting a motor hook in, you are no longer limited to the Estes motors, but you can use Aerotech reloadables and one-time-use composites.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-08-2006, 06:31 PM
slave to the wind

cooooooooooool! The kit comes with the 2050 engine block as well as a spacer tube (just like the one in the Viking). I'll glue the 2050 ring in at 3" instead of 2" and leave off the engine hook.

My guess is, as long as I have 1/4" of engine sticking out, I will be able to remove the spent engine. I am also guessing a piece of tape on the engine to keep it from kicking out on the ejection charge, am I right?

Last edited by bikegod : 03-08-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
BP Mafia

Yes. Just keep a pair of pliers or a multi-tool in your range box to pull any stuck engine casings out.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 PM
slave to the wind

I've seen stuff on clustering, are the igniters wired in Parallel or Series circuit?

It probably won't be long till I am trying stuff like that.

I think that I will bash this stormcaster. Got it for $6 and some change. Going back tomorrow to get a Gemini DC and maybe another Stormcaster the next day. Cute Cashier actually offered me coupons to take to the other stores.

Michaels still has the Fat Boy as well. Those three kits offer a lot of parts that I was considering ordering online to put something together myself.

And as far as the cashier, I think she was being nice to me because my 7 yo daughter was with me. Now she really is cute. I always take her with me because the sales help really starts acting nice when she's around.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
I've seen stuff on clustering, are the igniters wired in Parallel or Series circuit?

Always in parallel.

Find a copy of Stine's Handbook. It covers all of this juicy tech in detail...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-12-2006, 06:18 PM
slave to the wind

Well, the Stormcaster made a good base. Changed the fins, added wings, upper and span and used the nose cone from a Screaming Mimi (better length).

I have pictures of the in progress and a RockSim file. Have a host for the pics, but how can I post the RockSim?

With D12-5 I get over 500' stable. The mmt is way long (almost the entire lower half of the body) and I put the engine block all the way at the end. I can put any 24mm engine and even the Ellis mountain G37 worked fine on RockSim. 2000', but I am not sure I have the space to fly that.

HannahMonster and I launched an Astrosat LSX with a bobblehead toy (on an 8" parachute that I home crafted). No problems. I don't have an altimeter yet, but I used a C6 so we are guessing 600'.

Launched a Swift and lost it in the sky (A3-4T). Saw the ejection charge and nothing. Went up fast and far. That was HannahMonster's rocket. Pink with disney stickers. If it ever comes down in your neck of the woods let me know.

No.2 Skywriter went up just fine as well. The winds started to pick up after that so we flew just one more with a streamer recovery and A3 engines. An Estes X-ray with a piece of candy and a dime in it. Ejection charge separated the payload section and shock cord. Though we were on soccer fields, we never found the payload section. Again, if you find it, help yourself to the candy, and use the dime to call us and tell us if the candy tastes different after being shot up 400 or so feet.

The Xray, Swift, and Skywriter were all first flights. Not launched (though we had planned it) were a custom Guardian, custom Viking, and the Estes FireFlash.

Sorry such a long post, but my daughter was so jazzed up about the flight (though we lost her rocket) that she wanted to do another. Got her a Gnome on the way home (so we can use up the rest of those A engines I bought) and I will only supervise the construction of this one. She can't wait to see the one I am building now. I haven't named it, and I can't say it is very original, but I did plan and design it with the demo version of RocSim. If it resembles your rocket, sorry, didn't mean it.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
I have pictures of the in progress and a RockSim file. Have a host for the pics, but how can I post the RockSim?

...my daughter was so jazzed up about the flight (though we lost her rocket) that she wanted to do another. Got her a Gnome on the way home (so we can use up the rest of those A engines I bought) and I will only supervise the construction of this one. She can't wait to see the one I am building now. I haven't named it, and I can't say it is very original, but I did plan and design it with the demo version of RocSim. If it resembles your rocket, sorry, didn't mean it.

You can send both images and RKT files here for posting! The forum software understands what RKT files are, and has no problem with uploads or downloads. This is where I send all of the new BARCLONE designs before they get posted to the website...

Great flight report, BTW. Grab a few packs of 1/2A3-4T and 1/4A3-3T motors for those tiny models, like the Swift 220 and the Mosquito. Full A-class motors are just way-too-overpowered for those models.

Sounds like one happy camper you have there, BG. Congrats!

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635