Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Not so Junior

You can build the part with transitions... which I use for modeling pratt egg capsules sticking out of BT_55 and BT-60 tubes.

kj
Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
For those of you that are or know a TARC mentor you might want to take a look at the Coming Soon page on the Estes Web Site. http://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/

There are two TARC part assortments that will soon be available to design and build your TARC rockets with.

The Small part assortment uses the egg capsule from the Eggs Express kit. Parts for both 24mm and 29mm motor mounts are supplied

The Large part assortment uses the Titan III nose and adapter from which either a BT-70 size egg capsule or nose cone size model can be created. Parts for both single 24mm and 29mm motor mounts are supplied along with a 24mm two engine cluster option.

John Boren

Am I the only one that saw the bold text above and wondered if 29mm motors are coming from Estes? They don't normally make motor mounts for motors they don't make, TARC or not. Any speculation there John?

Buzz
Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Master Modeler

I don't have to speculate at all about this topic. I also can't comment on it either. Estes knows that 90 percent of the TARC models are flown on 29mm composite motors so we made these products user friendly. Now I personallly hope a HUGE percentage of the TARC rockets use 24mm Black Powder motors from this point forward but if not, thats ok too.

John Boren
Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
I don't have to speculate at all about this topic. I also can't comment on it either. Estes knows that 90 percent of the TARC models are flown on 29mm composite motors so we made these products user friendly. Now I personally hope a HUGE percentage of the TARC rockets use 24mm Black Powder motors from this point forward but if not, that's ok too.

John Boren
That was a very political response. In case you didn't know, John, Estes used to make a composite 29mm F motor called the F62.

Just Jerry
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
That was a very political response. In case you didn't know, John, Estes used to make a composite 29mm F motor called the F62.

Just Jerry
Please--let's not make it difficult for John to participate on YORF (and potentially lose our to-be-cherished direct customer input to Estes via John). I'm as curious as you are about what products Estes (and Quest, FlisKits, Semroc, Starlight, et al) will release soon, but all of these companies have the right to keep their upcoming offerings under wraps until they see fit to reveal them.

With that said, the TARC Parts Assortment is reassuring for scale kit fans because the mere existence of these new-production molded Titan IIIE parts means that if Estes decides to re-issue the Titan IIIE kit sometime in the future, the molds for these parts are still serviceable. Also, if their BT-60 size Gemini capsule mold is still usable, the molded Titan IIIE and Gemini parts could be used to create a kit or kits of the Titan IIIC-Gemini 2 vehicle and/or the planned-but-cancelled Titan IIIM MOL (Manned Orbiting Laboratory) vehicle.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 12-17-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Master Modeler

Jerry,

I am very aware of the old North Coast Dark Star F and G motors. I've flown several of them this summer. They were great motors, and no, Estes has no plans on bringing those motors back to market.

Until a product is made known to the public I simply can't say much about it. Now once it has been made public you can ask me for more detailed information. As I mentioned at NARAM 52 Estes is always working on new motors and I am fortunate enough to get to test fly them and then develop products for these motors. Some motors will never make it to market while others will. Things are changing at Estes and now that a modeler\competitor and plan rocket\airplane nut is in charge of Estes R&D I am hopeful that more new innovative stuff will be the result. There is a good chance I will be attending NARCON and I am hoping to show you a couple brand new items there.

Enough said, Lets keep this thread on TARC. If someone wants to create a thread and discuss the new models seen at the iHobby show I would be happy to give more details about them.

John Boren
Old 12-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Paper Rocketeer

I just looked at the two TARC packages, and they look like fun even for those of us who have NO TARC connections - Just nice building supply collections. Of course, these make me wonder if Estes has any plans to bring back a designers special again? These were wonderful when they had a fixed set of parts in them, all of which were useful and not just the stuff they had a bunch of on the shelf.

Greg
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
I don't have to speculate at all about this topic. I also can't comment on it either. Estes knows that 90 percent of the TARC models are flown on 29mm composite motors so we made these products user friendly. Now I personallly hope a HUGE percentage of the TARC rockets use 24mm Black Powder motors from this point forward but if not, thats ok too.

John Boren

John,

It's obvious that a huge amount of really good thought went into this parts assortment. It never would have occured to me that Estes would offer such a parts assortment, let alone a 29mm motor mount along with the 24mm mounts. This product is a really surprising, really exciting, really useful idea.

Exceeding your long-term customer's expectations is a great business plan.

Keep it up,

Steve
Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Master Modeler

There are several new items in these TARC kits that have never been offered before. In the good old days all Estes tube couplers were made out of a hard Dark Blue paper material. I believe a few are still being made today. The large package contains two 3" long BT-70 couplers to go along with the BT-70 tubes that haven't been offered by Estes for some time now. There is also an laser cut engine centering ring set that can be used for any sport model.

The small kit contains a new BT-68 tube and 3" long coupler for the egg capsule. This tube size is only used on this capsule. There are also a pair of 29mm to 56mm centering rings. Then of course is the bring back of the BT-56 tube that were discontinued. Each kit also contains two 1/4" 48" long shock cords and two 18" chutes that you get to cut to the correct size and attache the shroud lines too. The new\old design of these chutes with the concentric circles are placed just right to cut the needed chute size too. If you use over the top shroud lines you can easily use them for bringing the egg down safely.

Official TARC teams will also get a very good discount off the retail price as well. Even at the retail price this part assortment is a pretty good buy.

John Boren
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
-SNIP- In the good old days all Estes tube couplers were made out of a hard Dark Blue paper material. I believe a few are still being made today. -SNIP-
This material is called "fish paper." I've also heard of it being called "Stonized" paper (perhaps because the [resin-impregnated?] paper tube couplers are very hard). The EB-20A and EB-20B Engine Blocks were (are?) also made of fish paper.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR