Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Cardstock Rocketry
Yes, I would like to have a Cardstock Rocketry forum. 32 76.19%
No, I do not care for Cardstock Rocketry. 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Master Modeler

The Rocketry Forum has a section devoted to card stock models.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
The Rocketry Forum has a section devoted to card stock models.

Yes they do and thats why I think there should be one on YORF. Some of the folks here don't visit TRF for one reason or another.

Why if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us here in YORF.
Hope you guys are voting.

Daniel

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 01-12-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
BAR

Yeah, I think it'd be a terrific idea... seems to fit in well with the motif around here as well... (hearkens back to some of the old cardstock designs like the Vulcan, Spike, and HL-20, among others)

Understand about the TRF thing... some folks can take it some can't, or choose not to... ce la vis... BUT let's face it, TRF and YORF are THE two main LPR/MPR forums (fora?) and cardstock rocketry fits well with LPR... I go to RP too but it's almost exclusively HPR, or well seems to be, and N3 seems to be mainly homebrew EX/HPR stuff...

SO, "If not YORF, Where?? If not now, WHEN??"

I think it's a fascinating aspect of rocketry and one I've been meaning to dive into, when I have the time... seeing some projects would be good motivation!

Later! OL JR
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Paper Rocketeer

You really do need to try it, JR - I've been building paper rockets since I got back into the hobby about 5-6 years ago and it is incredibly fun and satisfying. Not only that, but I even use paper rockets in NAR competition. They make great parachute and streamer duration models (they are lighter than an equivalent rocket made from Estes parts) and I've even used cardstock to build an entire dual egg duration model powered by a D-12 (we lost sight of it at 17 minutes, so no return <sigh>). I also managed to get a 1/8A (micromaxx) helicopter recovery model to work, again made from paper. About the only thing I haven't gotten to work yet are boost gliders (too much wing flutter on boost) but I haven't given up on that one yet either. Paper models are surprisingly strong and capable of withstanding more thrust than most people imagine. And, the fact that I don't have to sand, seal and paint the durned things to get a cool looking model (print the graphics right on it in full color) are a real bonus.

If you've never tried one before, download the Midnight Express from the FlisKits website - the instructions are incredible and it is a fantastic 18mm model that makes a great jumping off point.

Greg
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
If you've never tried one before, download the Midnight Express from the FlisKits website - the instructions are incredible and it is a fantastic 18mm model that makes a great jumping off point.

Greg
While you're at it, print out an extra set of fins and make a booster. They are so inexpensive and quick to build that it didn't even bother me that I had "no chance" at recovery with a C6-0/C6-7 combination.

Funny thing was the booster landed within 10 ft of the pad and about 15 minutes later someone brought the sustainer back.

The second flight. however, was a different story.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

I am far too clumsy to build paper rockets, but they are cool to see. I would enjoy reading about them.

I hate rules.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Craftsman

[QUOTE=gpoehleinAbout the only thing I haven't gotten to work yet are boost gliders (too much wing flutter on boost) but I haven't given up on that one yet either. Paper models are surprisingly strong and capable of withstanding more thrust than most people imagine. Greg[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have, but not exactly in the manner of what you probably speak of....

What Ive been doing for a while is using cardstock (and sometimes even just paper) to make larger diameter body tubes for gliders, from 1" to 3". 65lb stock works, and I only use ONE full wrap with an 'overlap area' of around 1/3 of the circumference. This seems to add enough linear 'backbone' besides the motor pod inside.

As far as wing surfaces go, NO, I dont even bother with paper or cardstock for those. As you know, they are too fluttery even for smaller designs. My solution is good old Depron foam, which is similar to meat tray foam (which Ive been using for around 30yrs for gliders).

Depron, 3mm thick, is actually LIGHTER per square inch than cardstock but is is also on the flimsy side. Way to handle this, if larger pieces are used, is to 'edge tape' it with chrome tape strips (see Marauder LV pic below). YOu get just enough rigidity for flight without adding much weight.

Pictured below is such a glider made in this fashion. This is my old venerable Marauder design, built around a BT60 cardstock tube (one ply) using an 18mm pod inside ala SkyDart. The wing surfaces are 3mm Depron, and the 'squary' tape covered thing in the center of it is a torque plate - a sheet of .005 brass bent in the middle and glued/taped over the wing seam.

There is 225 in sq of wing area, with a 24" span, on a 30" tube. Total weight of glider and pod: 3.5z Glider alone: 2.0z Flys wonderfully on an Estes C6-3, and also the Quest D5-4 in a 20mm pod gives this a niiiiiiice looooong ride up and glide back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MarauderLV 002.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  319.6 KB  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Master Modeler

Default Bomarc

Hey AstroMike,

Is the Bomarc on the couch paper or cardboard?

Daniel

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 01-13-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Rivet Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
What Ive been doing for a while is using cardstock (and sometimes even just paper) to make larger diameter body tubes for gliders, from 1" to 3". 65lb stock works, and I only use ONE full wrap with an 'overlap area' of around 1/3 of the circumference. This seems to add enough linear 'backbone' besides the motor pod inside.

I can attest to this construction method. I found one of Mike's gliders lost at a ROCK
launch after a month or more in the Florida weather. Almost ready to fly again! The tape
over paper/cardstock is a great way to keep the weight down while adding strength.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Forest Sprite

I have lost little cardstock cone rockets twice in my backyard (part of which is woods). One was a 13mm version and the other was downscaled for MicroMaxx. I lost the 13mm one in the fall, but I found it in late spring the following year underneath a bush. It had laid out there under a few feet of snow all winter and then survived the melt in the spring. A year or two later, I lost the MicroMaxx one. I found that one two years later in the woods just beyond my backyard. Despite the prolonged periods on the ground and exposed to all kinds of harsh weather, both little paper cone rockets were still in flyable condition when I found them. But instead, they were both given honorable discharges from active duty and are now enjoying comfortable retirements.

In the attached photos, the the green one on the left is the MicroMaxx cone rocket, and the red one on the right is the 13mm version. The orange cone rocket in the middle is another MicroMaxx version that had not been flown yet at the time that those pictures were taken.

All three cardstock cone rockets had been given 2 or 3 coats of Krylon Clear. I always clear-coat my cardstock rockets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0587.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  330.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0589-TRF.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  47.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF0590-TRF.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  39.4 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011