Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
I still don't remember where anyone referred to wood glue being stronger than epoxy up to that point which is why I said things were taken out of context.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter. What's done is done and unfortunate to turn a newbies thread into a pissing contest.

The way I read it, GH was referring to past threads, on pretty much every rocketry forum past and present, where the strength of the two have been argued. What surprises me is cjl didn't get a temporary ban for his direct shot. Ok, it doesn't surprise me.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Dazed and Confused

You know, there's a silver lining in most every cloud. We've got a bunch of people that never stoop down to visit YORF browsing around here today. Sure, they only came to see the train wreck, but I've noticed that they are looking at other threads too.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

I'd just like to say that I never go to TRF but I value GH's posts here. He is knowledgeable and right on point almost all the time. Yeah, he shouts a bit, and he hovers at the 99.99th percentile on opinionated, but so what? He usually gets the job done here. If you don't care for his posts, you can always screen them. Frankly, I find a lot of them amusing (to downright hilarious). Just my 2 cents.

Joe
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

tbzep,
I'm NOT surprised that CJL did not get banned over there as well and THAT is where the majority of my gripe lies.
He seems to be some sort of "golden CHILD" over there that can get away with it.

Typically HE is full of more pompous crap than a stockyard during brandin' season !

He will find out how little he really knows when he gets out in the workforce for his first real engineering job.
If he takes that attitude fresh out of college into his first jr.engineering position he will be bounced in no time.
Most likely nobody will officially or non officially mentor him and he will sink.
Good new engineers are HUMBLE and ready to LEARN; know-it-all PUNKS get chewed up and spit out and at best they get the real turd jobs.

I will admit I am guilty of being in the 99th percentile of opinionated, but I think a lot of that is from that I have been doing this for 34 years and tend to know what works, what does not, and what is flat out crap.
Most of them ARE intended to have a certain humor element within them; some don't know how to take me but I think most know much of the humor lies within tongue-in-cheek "arrogance".

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Not so Junior

At what point do engineers stop being HUMBLE and ready to LEARN and start being full of more pompous crap than a stockyard during brandin' season?

My experience has been that good ones never reach that point, and the rest just like to talk about how they know what works, what does not, and what is flat out crap too much.

kj
Old 02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Look, a lot of rocket people have egos; some artificially inflated
...and I was beginning to think that you and GH were both oblivious to that.
We had realized that about you guys, oh I don't know, say after your 1st or 2nd post.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Master Modeler

Strip out the engineer from the statement. The only ones that have learned all they can are sadly no longer with us. As for the appllication of engineering principles, there are always new ways to skin that cat.

My father, whose surname was trailed by a sizeable selection of the alphabet, always maintained that you never really know what you think you know, just how you interpret what you think you know, and you always change the interpretation to suit the need.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
We've got a bunch of people that never stoop down to visit YORF...
I actually take issue with this wording, personally I feel like I'm always stepping/moving UP when I visit here.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Frankly, I find a lot of them amusing (to downright hilarious).
Can't argue with you there,
he is to serious discussion what William Hung is to singing.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
I've gotta chime in here. The fact of the matter is GH was not exactly the victim here as this thread reads. The majority of his posts that I read are confrontational and absolutes. This is supposed to be fun and an outlet to gain knowledge and also pass on knowledge. There are definitely more than one way to skin any cat.

On the one hand you indentify the different styles and admit there is more than one way to skin a cat, then you say or imply one way is impermissible or unacceptable.

He is rude, I'll grant you that, but his principals are absolute and loud. You do not have to agree or conform to them, but you do so at your own personal loss IMHO.

Jerry