Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Religion Free thank you!

So here we have a difference of opinion. No right/wrong... just different. H is level 1 material. I do not consider H impulse mid-power.

To me low power is 1/8A thru C
Mid or LMR is D thru G
and HPR is anything requiring a Cert.

So I suspect if one is thinking of launching a The Launch Pad kit on a H, yes, you need to essentially throw the kit away.

If you stick to D thru low F (as intended by the manufacturer) and use perhaps just plain old good building techniques as well as kit recommendations, you'll be rewarded with a unique model you can be proud of.

Yes you will have to decorate it yourself. And I fully agree that should be noted on any packaging or in any description. Ya got me there.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Since when has a D been considered mid power ????
Unless clustered, D's in any flavor are NOT mid power.
Mid power has ALWAYS been anything ABOVE a D, but below a H.
That's why I said anything above a full D but below a H128 which is a BABY H at 168n-sec.
A H128 is only a full-G plus an Estes C6 in total impulse.

Technically the Estes E9 is mid power, but with it's low thrust below a D12, it hardly demands any improved techniques in building.

Maybe my standards are high, but a true mid-power anything should be able to withstand a G76G without a shred, Period.
The new G138 is anentirely different animal.....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
I'm glad you posted this, as it demonstrates exactly where the issue lies.

You have some standard that everyone else has to meet that is different from the commonly accepted standard. If you choose to fly a model designed for 24mm D-E-F motors on something else and have to modify the kit to do it, that's your deal, not the kit maker's. If you build to the instructions and fly on the reccomended motors, then the kits are fine.

kj

Kevin I believe you have hit the nail on the head. People are going to differ in opinion, but your point is very clear and IMHO accurate. Everytime I read one of these posts about "Oh you gotta stuff a G369 in it and watch it really roar" is not the hobby I signed up for.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Craftsman

I love Launch Pad Kits because they fill a niche so badly needed in the world of model rocketry; lower end sport scale builder’s kits you can rip off the pad on an F at your local field. They are the best kits for endless banter at launches because they fill that middle ground between model rocketry philosophies on building techniques, materials, motors used and recovery techniques. Depending on who is at the launch I am usually on the Pro Stock build with old school techniques band wagon, but sometimes I like to move over to the Anti Stock build, modify and bulletproof, put in a bigger motor and “I have the knowledge and skill to keep it stable” crowd.

Sometimes I only praise the virtues of built it light, build it strong . . . this usually includes me squeezing the squishy balsa fins I have covered in label paper and attached with Titebond. Other times I swear and curse of having to attach the igniter to a motor recessed way up the body tube for stability on such a lightly built kit. When I am in a cheapskate mode I like to go on how these kits are sometimes on sale and are great values, other times I just have to endlessly complain about the lack of decals, basswood fins and thicker walled tubes for the suggested retail price.

Some of my TLP kits fly great, some fly like poo. Sometimes I like to sarcastically point out what a wonderful recovery was had by the oddly shaped stock Mylar chute flopping through the air, other times I express my ceaseless worry about using my one and only high end nylon chute to achieve the perfect soft touch down so as to not damage that CA soaked, paper cone boat tail.

If a newbie wants to improve their skills and build a cool, fairly inexpensive sports scale kit then I recommend TLP. If I want to annoy the 3FNC high power crowd by flying a cool scale kit whit great performance on an F, I bring out my TLP stuff. If someone brings a modified, higher powered TLP kit, I stand back with great excitement and eagerly wait for the carnage that I anticipate will soon occur. If it flies well, I clap.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01
So here we have a difference of opinion. No right/wrong... just different. H is level 1 material. I do not consider H impulse mid-power.

To me low power is 1/8A thru C
Mid or LMR is D thru G
and HPR is anything requiring a Cert.

Yes, it depends on who you ask.

Some people think mid power begins with
  • APCP motors
  • more than 1 pound at liftoff (back when the FAA cared about that)
  • D motors and up
  • E motors and up
  • anything needing a 1/4" launch rod or rail

Some people think mid power ends at
  • more than 3.3 pounds at liftoff (FAA Class 2)
  • Anything needing a certification to fly
  • H motors and above

Bill
Old 03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
Does anyone know what ever happened to The Launch Pad: http://www.the-launch-pad.com/index.htm

It may be that they are still in business and doing fine, but I haven't heard anything about or from them in quite a while.

I remember back in 2009 they were going to start up a new facility in FLA, and there was news around the end of 2009 that indicated that the new facility was up and running and that the website would be updated in early 2010, but I never did get the sense that they ever really did ramp things up again...

All of the information on their website is very old and I've not heard anything about new designs. Anyone know if they are still around?

TLP has been known to go dormant for a long while, then suddenly ramp up and refill the supply pipeline. I remember the time before NARAM 47 which allowed me to finally get my grubby paws on their elusive Pershing kit.

I too hope they come back. Their main appeal is for people like me who like scale models, but do not enjoy digging for scale data. We can be satisfied that as a sport scale kit, it is good enough as we do not intend to enter it into competition.

As for the weak balsa, because the fins are not laser cut or die crushed, we are free to replace it with stronger stock without wasting the sheets supplied with the kit.

Bill

Last edited by Bill : 03-28-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: this old hoss remembered something else
Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 PM

I think some of the TLP kits could be really decent kits if they did a few small things that would greatly improve the durability of a mid power kit.

1) Use heavier walled tubes for bodies and motor mounts.

2) Use quality hard dense balsa- soft balsa for mid-power is inexcusable.

3) Machined Balsa transitions, boat-tails, and nose cones in correct profile- paper here is just CHEAP, which is different from economical- it is NOT economical if it is busted all the time requiring repair/replacement.

4)Decals- no exceptions- lack thereof is as inexcusable as #2.

They have very interesting DESIGNS that would be thrilled to build if kits did not need so much upgrading

Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I think some of the TLP kits could be really decent kits if they did a few small things that would greatly improve the durability of a mid power kit.

1) Use heavier walled tubes for bodies and motor mounts.

2) Use quality hard dense balsa- soft balsa for mid-power is inexcusable.

3) Machined Balsa transitions, boat-tails, and nose cones in correct profile- paper here is just CHEAP, which is different from economical- it is NOT economical if it is busted all the time requiring repair/replacement.

4)Decals- no exceptions- lack thereof is as inexcusable as #2.

They have very interesting DESIGNS that would be thrilled to build if kits did not need so much upgrading

Hard to argue against that, but how much of a price increase per kit will the market bear? For BT-60 or BT-80, a balsa cone is much more expensive than a plastic one, given that they seem to have ready access to "almost good enough" plastic ones (or is that why they sometimes go OOP). As some vendors here can confirm, including decals can be a huge pain, and next to crushed tubes, probably the second most frequest customer support issue. Is weak balsa really cheaper or did he just happen to get a killer deal on that batch (if the latter, we can hope that he has used it up)?

Bill
Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM

I would rather pay a 25% premium to the kit price instead of having purchase upgrade materials and throw out the other stuff. VALUE not price generally drives my purchase decisions.
You can buy 3 Civics for the price of ONE Corvette or Cadillac STS, but then you have 3 POS HEAPS instead of one really nice car.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Not so Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Since when has a D been considered mid power ????

Since when have E and F motors stopped being considered mid power?

kj