Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Default Centuri X-24 Bug

I have built a couple of these in boiler-plate form, and a Quest HL-20. Now I want to build a X-24 correctly. Does anyone have the dimensions for the X-24 Nose cone? I can get everything but that. My boiler-plates just had a flat nose (I figured, correctly, that there would be some nose-trauma until I got the CG location figured out).

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Cloning the Centuri X-24 Bug is really easy - use the nosecone from the Estes Yankee. It is an "Estes-ization" of the Centuri nose cone. I built one and I used foamcore for the bulkhead. It flew great, but it isn't real robust - after five or six flights it started to warp and I need to build a new one.

I really liked the Centuri newsletter (it may be on Jimz) that showed building a Saturn V and putting the Bug on top like a nose cone - the booster came back via chutes while the Bug ejected and glided in.

Greg
Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Cloning the Centuri X-24 Bug is really easy - use the nosecone from the Estes Yankee. It is an "Estes-ization" of the Centuri nose cone. I built one and I used foamcore for the bulkhead. It flew great, but it isn't real robust - after five or six flights it started to warp and I need to build a new one.
Greg,

In my experience, the plastic NC was a bit heavier, just heavy enough to make the already difficult trimming that much more difficult

Quote:
I really liked the Centuri newsletter (it may be on Jimz) that showed building a Saturn V and putting the Bug on top like a nose cone - the booster came back via chutes while the Bug ejected and glided in.
That's one of those projects I've been thinking about for years. I have some BT100 and some BT101. I was thinking of building a quasi-Little Joe2 and using a g-timer to start the Bug and/or HL-20 topping the stack.

I need to order some custom rings. That's about the only tricky part of the build.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
I have built a couple of these in boiler-plate form, and a Quest HL-20. Now I want to build a X-24 correctly. Does anyone have the dimensions for the X-24 Nose cone? I can get everything but that. My boiler-plates just had a flat nose (I figured, correctly, that there would be some nose-trauma until I got the CG location figured out).
FWIW, you can order a balsa version of that cone. It's a little lighter and hence a little easier to trim. Also, Squirrel Works makes a very similar bird in their X-RV. You might consider that as well.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

A few minutes after I posted this, I stumbled on the answer. Of course it took a while longer to figure out the Estefied Nose Cone number. Semroc has them in balsa, so I may have to order a few.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Estes cone

BRS Hobbies (BRS.com) has the Estes PNC-20Y cone (their knockoff of the original Centuri plastic cone) for like $1.25.

Been looking at those for an Eneret Athena clone (it would use eight of those cones).

The Semroc balsa version would probably make trimming a bit easier, but will not hold up quite as well to hard landings and dings.

The X-24 always made for some interesting flights. I remember trimming mine as a kid by tossing it out an upstairs window into the front yard. Of course as fate would have it, one of the first tosses had it headed in a bit of a nosedive towards the concrete driveway. That's how I 'know' about nosecone dings....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

I trimmed mine by tossing it down the stairs into the basement.

I actually got the HL-20 to fly pretty well, then I tried flying it on a "C" and it ventured off into the trees and vanished.

I have had quite a bit of fun with cones. They glide (sort of) and are nice for small fields.

Thanks fior the info. I'll check BRS and compair to Semroc. I'll proabably end up getting one of each and compairing performance and trimablility.

Other than the nose cones, the things are DIRT cheap, and have an axcellent cool factor rating.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd

Thanks.

Iron,

The Bug has a GREAT HOWLING sound going up ... but its glide is well I guess you can call it a glide as long as it moves forward a little bit as it drops!

There was a guy cloning those and I think if you keep an eye out on ebay, you might snag one.

I remember the nose cone for the bug was a red plastic cone that Centuri used. I am sure Semroc has a clone cone for you. As has been listed here, you can get the cone easy.

Please post a picture of the model and your fight report with it!

Jonathan
Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
The Bug has a GREAT HOWLING sound going up ... but its glide is well I guess you can call it a glide as long as it moves forward a little bit as it drops!
You can fly them on C6's, but you gotta watch those C5's

Here, under the thrust of the C5, the drag forces collapsed the sides of the airframe into the motor exhaust. Not pretty. This one was really howling...'til it caught on fire

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Doug,

Looks you had a 'blow out in vapor 3'! ?

Did you try to contact Flight Com and report that she was 'Breaking up! Breaking up!'

J

Last edited by Cohetero-negro : 05-20-2011 at 01:00 PM.