Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The ONLY thing I can see kraut being good for is stuffing into water bomb balloons before filling with water. Then the other team gets pelted with REEK.
When we were kids we used to put vinegar and mustard into the balloons.
Water alone WAS not enuff for any team I commanded..we always wanted jest a lil' extry !!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2011, 02:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Mustard coated Corn STALKS mixed with DRIFTWOOD sauteed in a V-8 OIL Pan probably have a higher nutrition value and lesser liklihood of tastebud damage.

Hmmmm, that doesn't sound bad. Do you think the I could alter the recipe by substituting a V6 oil pan? My V8 pan hasn't been the same since that rod went through it.
Not much I like better than a reuben. We have a local restaurant chain called Izzy's around here. One of my favorites. I generally get a REUBENATOR, (which, as far as I can tell is a double size reuben that is still half the size of a New York sandwich,) potato pancake, and an iced tea. Then I make a quick trip across the plaza to the Hobby Lobby. Good times!!!
Even funnier, Sunday nights at work are generally regarded as the height of culinary sophistication because the weekend guy loads the wheel of death with hard-boiled eggs and pretzel reubens. I had a pretzel reuben last night.
Anyone want to hear about the tuna reuben that I had in the Outer Banks a few years back?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Bill, you need a serious overhaul and adjustment of your olfactory center AND tastebuds if you can even think about putting the words "like" and "reuben" in the same sentence seeing by DEFINITION that is an OXYMORON. A reuben would be useful to give to someone as a DISGUSTING PRANK. That is the ONLY value in the stinkin' thang.

A Reuben is just slightly less pleasant than a silent-but-deadly fart in a DIVERS MASK !
Rotting carrion has much higher nutritional value and is far less likely to make one peuke.
A grilled GAINES Burger would be 400% more edible.

That sandwich has an aroma that is just short of warmed over DEATH.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Bill, you need a serious overhaul and adjustment of your olfactory center AND tastebuds if you can even think about putting the words "like" and "reuben" in the same sentence seeing by DEFINITION that is an OXYMORON. A reuben would be useful to give to someone as a DISGUSTING PRANK. That is the ONLY value in the stinkin' thang.

A Reuben is just slightly less pleasant than a silent-but-deadly fart in a DIVERS MASK !
Rotting carrion has much higher nutritional value and is far less likely to make one peuke.
A grilled GAINES Burger would be 400% more edible.

That sandwich has an aroma that is just short of warmed over DEATH.

Actually, I'd say I'd be more likely to use "love" and "reuben" in the same sentence.
Ever try kraut on a pizza? They had a special at Dewey's when we went for my wife's birthday. It was a mustard based sauce with sausage chunks, onion, saurkraut and cheese. Excellent. When I worked at Godfather's Pizza in college, one of my co-workers would sometimes make himself saurkraut pizza and he raved about it. Despite my love of kraut, I never had the nerve to try it, mostly because this guy also loved raw hamburger and the Go-Go's. I had to seriously question his taste.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Master Modeler

I must come to the defense of sauerkraut. My German (Bavarian) boss explained the way that it is intended to be prepared. (When she first emigrated here, she was puzzled and slightly horrified to see how Americans just trowel it onto hot dogs straight from a can or jar.)

She explained that sauerkraut is used in baked dishes the way potatoes are. It is first drained and rinsed with water in a collander (to get rid of the pickling juice, which is not intended to be consumed), then spread on the bottom of a baking dish. Sliced beef or pork (with or without cheese) and seasonings (such as chicken bullion mixed with water) are placed on top of the sauerkraut, and the baking dish is then covered with foil and baked for a long time at a moderate temperature. The juices from the meat soak down into the sauerkraut along with the seasoning and give it a wonderful mixture of flavors. More involved dishes use alternating layers of drained & washed sauerkraut, sliced potatoes, sliced meat, other vegetables, and cheese.

Last Christmas Eve she surprised me (we're both retired now) by fixing Rolladen for me. It consisted of rolls of thinly-sliced pork, pinned together with toothpicks (to keep them from unraveling) and laid atop a bed of drained & washed sauerkraut that was seasoned with a mixture of chicken bullion and water. Her eldest son-in-law (who hates sauerkraut as it is typically served here in the USA) loves Rolladen, and I heartily concur with him. Give it (or one of the similar recipes) a try--you will be pleasantly surprised!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 06-06-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I must come to the defense of sauerkraut. My German (Bavarian) boss explained the way that it is intended to be prepared. (When she first emigrated here, she was puzzled and slightly horrified to see how Americans just trowel it onto hot dogs straight from a can or jar.)

She explained that sauerkraut is used in baked dishes the way potatoes are. It is first drained and rinsed with water in a collander (to get rid of the pickling juice, which is not intended to be consumed), then spread on the bottom of a baking dish. Sliced beef or pork (with or without cheese) and seasonings (such as chicken bullion mixed with water) are placed on top of the sauerkraut, and the baking dish is then covered with foil and baked for a long time at a moderate temperature. The juices from the meat soak down into the sauerkraut along with the seasoning and give it a wonderful mixture of flavors. More involved dishes use alternating layers of drained & washed sauerkraut, sliced potatoes, sliced meat, other vegetables, and cheese.

Last Christmas Eve she surprised me (we're both retired now) by fixing Rolladen for me. It consisted of rolls of thinly-sliced pork, pinned together with toothpicks (to keep them from unraveling) and laid atop a bed of drained & washed sauerkraut that was seasoned with a mixture of chicken bullion and water. Her eldest son-in-law (who hates sauerkraut as it is typically served here in the USA) loves Rolladen, and I heartily concur with him. Give it (or one of the similar recipes) a try--you will be pleasantly surprised!

Yep. Excellent. Mom makes it occasionally, and I've had it at a local German restaurant. (Along with sauerkraut balls. KILLER!!!) If you're ever in "Zinzinnati" and have a hankering to try German food, DO NOT go to the Hofbrau House! Wertheim's in Covington is SO MUCH better.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Old Submariner

The best German food I've ever had (even better than the German food in Germany--and FAR less expensive) was at Karl Rauche's(sp?) in downtown Milwaukee. A close second would have to be at Mader's (also in Milwaukee).

"Der Eidelweiss" in Hamburg, MI is also great.

LORD, I'M STARVING NOW!!

STINKY FOOD RULES!! SO DOES STILTON CHEESE!!! (which is English, of course, but it's stinky enough to be German)

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
SO DOES STILTON CHEESE!!!

Well, let's not get TOO crazy here. That's some wicked stuff, man.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Yep. Excellent. Mom makes it occasionally, and I've had it at a local German restaurant. (Along with sauerkraut balls. KILLER!!!) If you're ever in "Zinzinnati" and have a hankering to try German food, DO NOT go to the Hofbrau House! Wertheim's in Covington is SO MUCH better.
I thank you for the tip, but my long-distance traveling days may be over, but...Sauerkraut balls?!?! If they're made they way I'm guessing (chopped [or ground] pork or beef mixed with drained & washed sauerkraut, seasonings, and [I'm guessing] a little flour, then cooked in oil), they should be excellent!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Old Submariner

Agreed. It SHOULD be a controlled substance!

A DELICIOUS controlled substance!

I'm drooling on my keyboard!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078