Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Makes about as much sense as kamikaze pilots wearing them.
None, zip, zilch, nada.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Makes about as much sense as kamikaze pilots wearing them.
None, zip, zilch, nada.
In some cases, the kamikaze group used multi-seat conventional aircraft, so that even radio operators went along on some of the one-way missions--even though their presence aboard the aircraft made no difference as to whether or not the allied ships they struck would be destroyed.

Late in the war, there was a small German "self-sacrifice group" of pilots who deliberately crashed their planes into bridges and other targets on land, although to very little military effect (a few Japanese kamikazes also struck land targets in Russia, with similarly largely ineffective results). Several very devoted Nazis came up with the idea after news of the Japanese kamikaze attacks came out. Even Hitler found the notion troubling, saying that "self-sacrifice [his term for suicide attacks] was not in keeping with the German character." I've read that there were some allied and (other) German pilots who deliberately crashed their planes into enemy targets, but only *after* they were mortally wounded by enemy fire--they did not climb aboard their aircraft intending to kill themselves. Also:

Even many of today's Japanese bristle at the suggestion that the kamikaze pilots were fools, although those few kamikaze pilots who changed their minds and survived the war would likely disagree with that "patriotic sentiment" of their countrymen.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 08-04-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 AM
Old BAR

There was even a group of German pilots assigned to crash their fighters into Allied bombers in the bomber stream. Assuming they survived the encounter, they would bail out of their wounded fighter only to do it again. The program was cancelled eventually. Even the Germans thought the price was too high.

Allen
Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Maker of Shiny things

Default progress

As soon as I chase down some batterys I will put up a pic or 2
It is intresting that another BAKA thread popped up , and how simmilar the approach was , I used junk i had laying around to build it .
I even made a little japanise man head out of playdoh , I tried to get a fierce expression of self sacrafice and devotion to the emeror , but it looks like a lump of playdough with eyes , kind of a chubby fellow .
I may go try to dig an action figure head from a flea market later today .

All that is left is to build the innards ,which really wont take long .

The canopy was a PITA , I hand scaled the dam thing which took around 2 hours ( I miss the copy machine from work ) I could just key in the ratio and push a button .

And if anyone is intrested I have a computer program that you key in 2 reference measurments, then it derives the correct ratio , and you can just mesure away and it will convert everything for you ( its not free , just extremmly cheap) like 10 dollars the guy who wrote it wants. So you can up/down scale from drawings or whatever

If this thing works out well and cancels my "Things with wings" curse I may build an HE 162 as I have the perfect length of BT80 left from this chop .
I have yet in my life to not crash any winged airframe I have tried , some due to bad luck , others from my mistakes .
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Maker of Shiny things

Default So it is finished

This started from the plans posted here some time ago , but I just wantwed to upscale the beast .
The canopy was a royal pain , and i didnt do the greatest job of glueing it in
I modified the innards a bit as it will come down in one piece , but still in the traditional dive bombing orentation .
the head end of the geman hand gernade is basically a baffle , stuffed with copper wool , since this thing needed nose weight , and i needed to use an ultra thin chute there was no harm . It slide real easly due to my secret mixture of sanding sealer and graphite , and a bit of polish.

I did a semi lame job of camoflage just randomly splotting various paint on it , and added some marking so i could see the thing

to find a pilot who has a look of fierce determination and loyalty to his emperor , I went to a comic book store and found a dragon ball Z key chain , which I amputated , and sanded off some of his spikey hair , then glued random shiny things in the cockpit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_3002.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  726.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_3003.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  746.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_3004.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  719.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_3005.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  644.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_3006.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  677.3 KB  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Maker of Shiny things

Default more pix

hre are a few more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_3007.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  627.8 KB  
Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Master Modeler

The pilot looks like Goku from the Dragon Ball anime!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 AM
Out to launch...

Looks great John, nice work!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Maker of Shiny things

Default Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
The pilot looks like Goku from the Dragon Ball anime!

It probally is him , some one told me the guy was from Dragon Ball Z , I just made him a bandana and sansed his spikey hair down Ill take a pic of my playdough attempt , it sort of looked like a fat greek guy
Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
There was even a group of German pilots assigned to crash their fighters into Allied bombers in the bomber stream. Assuming they survived the encounter, they would bail out of their wounded fighter only to do it again. The program was cancelled eventually. Even the Germans thought the price was too high.

Allen

Ramming aircraft had been considered by a number of combatants. The Soviets trained their pilots (especially I-16 pilots) to run their reinforced props through an enemy's tail. Luftwaffe Rammkommando "ELBE" flew an 180 aircraft mission in April 1945 and downed 8 of 15 aircraft attacked. But then, this was the regime which gave 12 year olds a Panzerfaust to defend Berlin.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."