Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Good thinking. I had thought of that briefly and since you did too, maybe it is time to try it. I just have not figured out the best way of doing it. The tab is tight against the tube. It would have to be very viscous to seep under the edge. First attempt will be CA using an insulin needle from one end. If it runs out the other end, it will probably be a good check.

Thin CA should wick under it just fine.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Good thinking. I had thought of that briefly and since you did too, maybe it is time to try it. I just have not figured out the best way of doing it. The tab is tight against the tube. It would have to be very viscous to seep under the edge. First attempt will be CA using an insulin needle from one end. If it runs out the other end, it will probably be a good check.

I am not ready to give up yet and appreciate any more suggestions.
Chas' idea sounds sensible. A modification of his idea from a non-rocket engineer (and I am a living example of Richard Feynman's quote: "You can't teach calculus to a horse!") is this: If you soaked a small sponge or a ball of fabric in white glue (that might be thinned with water) and pulled it through the motor tubes using a string (while rotating the tubes to "lay down" the tabs), the film of dried glue would provide a protective layer inside the tube. This method might lend itself to production quantities of motors. The unknowns are [1] Will the clay nozzle bond sufficiently strongly to the glue film, and [2] will the propellant, delay charge, ejection charge, and clay ejection charge cap also bond sufficiently strongly to the glue film?
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 08-28-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

HIP HIP HOORAY !!!!!
I KNEW Carl would come through with a B14 when NOBODY else would and I will be happy to give him ALL my B engine business !!!!

So much for baloney excuses why it could not happen.....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
HIP HIP HOORAY !!!!!
I KNEW Carl would come through with a B14 when NOBODY else would and I will be happy to give him ALL my B engine business !!!!

So much for baloney excuses why it could not happen.....
You've just inspired an idea: Since these motors (Carl, are you planning to call them "modules" as you did before?) aren't approved for sale & shipping yet, maybe those of us who happen to be traveling through the vicinity of Knightdale, NC could..."drop by" to evaluate their motors (perhaps in exchange for appropriate "donations" if their selling them even for on-premises use is verboten)?
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Ya, me too. It was like, "Asdg dfgdfg f hf hfhfdhfg hfxg h fgh fgh f hfg hfgj B14 dfh fgfsg hfg hgh fg jfggdhj."

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
You've just inspired an idea: Since these motors (Carl, are you planning to call them "modules" as you did before?) aren't approved for sale & shipping yet, maybe those of us who happen to be traveling through the vicinity of Knightdale, NC could..."drop by" to evaluate their motors (perhaps in exchange for appropriate "donations" if their selling them even for on-premises use is verboten)?

We always welcome friends!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
We always welcome friends!
Good! While I'm not in a position to engage in such travels, others who are could post their reviews and photos here.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Retired Missile Technician

My suggestion for gluing down the flap was just for a few test motors. I can't imagine doing it for a thousand motors!
I have some cotton swabs on sticks that I use and I "believe" at least one SEMROC kit included one for gluing. If it is successful in preventing a burn-through, at least it is a data point for the tube manufacturer to find a correction (and the old casings becoming collector items...).
Carl, any approximation of the burn-through rate on your test motors? Was it prevalent past a certain delay time? Is a three second delay good and five or more a problem?

Oh, and Bruce is right. B14's!

Chas
Old 08-29-2011, 02:41 PM
7/21/61

Carl, thank you so much for working on this. Emma and I really need 10 mm booster motors to practice staging, so the difficulty with the delays would not cause us a problem. Thanks again for spending so much time on this,

Steve and Emma
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thumbs up 10 mm Motors

WOW!

Just caught this thread today, I wish you every success in fixing the burn through problem. I would echo Mr. Russell's suggestion re sealing the inner tube with CA, many of us already use thin viscocity CA to prevent fraying of our body tubes, so it should work well due to its wicking ability with the motor case. When you get this problem licked, please contact Taras Tataryn to check on Canadian importation as there are several of us CAR members that have been playing with FAI competition and to have motors equivalent (or better) than the Europeans would be a real boon.

Also B14's .....Yes!

Garth Illerbrun
SAM 20
CAR S04